Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota used cars price set by Toyota?

Perfection

Just been to see a C-HR GR 2022 plate selling for approx £23,000.

There was a few scuff here and there with the paintwork. Not a great condition. The salesman said there is no room for negotiation in the price as it is set by Toyota. Could anyone confirm this with your experience of purchase from a Toyota dealer? I find it difficult to believe as I purchased used car before from Toyota dealers and always have room to negotiate. Maybe things had changed.

I then looked at the next door's dealer which is not a Toyota dealer on their forecourt which has a nice looking C-HR Excel, 22 plate. Price is like £21k. Unfortunately they are not open today so can't see and text drive the car.

My plan is to go back and test drive and if I like the Excel model, I will try and negotiate the price. It's a clean purchase with no part ex.

Smells like cow pop to me. To my knowledge Toyota UK don't have any say over what dealer franchises sell their cars for.

If they won't budge or negotiate, walk away and look elsewhere.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Perfection said:

The salesman said there is no room for negotiation in the price as it is set by Toyota.

I really don't know, but could it be an ex-PCP car that is now actually owned by Toyota Finance? That might limit a dealer's room to manoeuvre ...

To be honest I like the Excel grey decuma colour more than the GR light grey colour (blueish tinge) seen today. Also, the Excel is a better spec'ed car I think. Even the seats have  part  leather and has heated steering wheel. I think the GR is just a boy racer car look with some red stitching (no offend to GR owners) so I decided to walk away without the need to even test drive, based on what I thought about the GR and the condition of the car and no movement for the price of the car with scuff here and there.

I'm not a fan of the Excel interior either plus I don't like leather seats so I ordered a GR Sport.

Sounds like you saw a GR Sport with standard cloth interior.

The optional Alcantara interior is a lot nicer.

Yes the UK spec GR Sport doesn't have a heated steering wheel - but that's a project I'm working on.

• Like 2

It could be true.

When I purchased mine, I was told that all the used car prices countrywide are monitored and prices are set accordingly depending on how long a vehicle has been on sale for, condition, location, and other factors, they are adjusted almost daily.

This may account for why a car had an unusual price, e.g. 27,318 instead of a more typical 27,250, I mean 318 like where did that come from, the above theory answers that.

Every franchised dealer prices cars to protect the brand and residual values of both new and used cars. There’s always a deal to be done with pluses and minuses wherever you buy from. Manufacturers set the new retail prices and give dealers latitude to sell them according. Always been that way 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, Perfection said:

To be honest I like the Excel grey decuma colour more than the GR light grey colour (blueish tinge) seen today. Also, the Excel is a better spec'ed car I think. Even the seats have  part  leather and has heated steering wheel. I think the GR is just a boy racer car look with some red stitching (no offend to GR owners) so I decided to walk away without the need to even test drive, based on what I thought about the GR and the condition of the car and no movement for the price of the car with scuff here and there.

Don’t think any new 2024 UK C-HR has a heated steering wheel 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, CassUK said:

Don’t think any new 2024 UK C-HR has a heated steering wheel 🤷‍♂️

Sadly they don’t , not even the Premiere Edition , which does in most other European markets ☹️

32 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

Sadly they don’t , not even the Premiere Edition , which does in most other European markets ☹️

You never know - the dash part of the wiring may still be there ready for a retro fit.

• Like 1

Just talked to the dealer of the Excel model. They don't have a service book. The non Toyota  dealer may had done a service.

Em... Does this mean the car has invalidated the warranty as it's not been serviced by Toyota?

A lot of modern Toyota models don't come with a service book - it's all held digitally on the Toyota system & available via the My Toyota app.

You would need to ask a Toyota dealer what current history / warranty status the vehicle has.

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

A lot of modern Toyota models don't come with a service book - it's all held digitally on the Toyota system & available via the My Toyota app.

So a non Toyota garage servicing may not be able to provide a service stamp then? 

Will give it a miss on this, just hassle when comes to selling the car in the future.

I had also checked with Toyota customer service that if a car had been serviced by a non Toyota dealer, there are risk that the car's warranty maybe invalidated. Before it was allowed as long as the dealer is a VAT registered, but changed when Toyota changes it's warranty scheme.

I noticed there are so many cars that are serviced by the non Toyota dealer. 

I wouldnt believe what he's saying. Its the dealer setting the price and getting their margin off the back of it.

Think of it this way, if Joe Bloggs owns a garage and has used Toyota's to sell, Toyota dont set his prices. 

I traded in my car old car as part of getting my RAV. Got offered £14,500 for it and I saw it on the the franchised dealers website for £18,995 within days.

All the did was try and wash/vac it before putting it on sale.

Depends what question has been asked.

During the new car warranty period (eg. for a 22 Toyota, the 3 year/60,000 miles manufacturers warranty), Block Exemption allows any VAT registered garage to be able to service the car provided equivalent parts are used, to maintain the new car warranty.

In the instance of a warranty claim under the new car warranty, the owner will need to have proof the car has been serviced according to schedule, and equivalent parts have been used.

Block Exemption doesn't apply to extended warranties (the Toyota Relax warranty is a service generated, extended warranty), and the warranty provider may legally stipulate where and by whom the car is serviced to maintain the extended warranty.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2024 at 7:56 AM, AndyRC said:

I had a 2013 VW Touareg R-Line from new in 2013 and sold it in March this year. I used the HSW probably 5 times in that time. It also has Pano Roof and apart from opening the tilt function on the Eurotunnel twice every year, I can only recall having the roof fully open about 5 times as well. Not every accessory is needed or used frequently and most features aren’t worth bothering about in the grand scheme of things 🤷‍♂️

• 2 months later...

I have been to 3 different Toyota dealerships, all different groups, and they all say the same thing that the prices are set by Toyota and cannot change them. Yes they will do remedial work or service if its due but thats as far as u can go it seems

• Like 1

Not true, I have been talking to lots of Toyota dealers over the last few months across much of the UK. You will see sticker price variation for vehicles with similar age/mileage/trim & that is before you start haggling with them ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links