Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Emergency Brake Lights

Wooster

Just drive around north London and particularly Enfield area on A406 or A10 and you can see plenty of live examples, usually with very loud exhaust noises and flames too 🏁🏎

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Just drive around north London and particularly Enfield area on A406 or A10 and you can see plenty of live examples,

These aren't emergency brake lights installed by the car manufacturer that are activated by the ABS. These are just strobe lights, that flash the brake lights (5 times or something) every time the brake pedal is touched. Distracting and illegal. But no one enforces it. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156179417798

16 minutes ago, Wooster said:

These aren't emergency brake lights installed by the car manufacturer that are activated by the ABS. These are just strobe lights, that flash the brake lights (5 times or something) every time the brake pedal is touched. Distracting and illegal. But no one enforces it. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156179417798

I was behind one of those yesterday, really annoying, seemed unable to keep their foot off the brake for more than 5 seconds. Give them plenty of space.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wooster said:

Just had a look at the link, it really states this as a feature - Can alert the vehicles behind you to stop.

Is that not what the brake light does?

😩

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's not the brake lights that flash - What happens is all 3 brake lights will be lit as normal, but in addition to that the hazard lights (i.e. left and right indicators) will flash rapidly at the same time.

It's just an automatic evolution of what a lot of people already tend to do, which is flash the hazards when they are slowing down rapidly (Very common on e.g. the M25 where you're happily doing 70mph, go round a bend, then have to slow a bit sharpish because there is suddenly 4-lanes of stationary traffic in front of you :eek:  :laugh: )

Sort of an extra "Please don't crash in to me!" emphasis to the brake lights! :laugh: 

"Emergency Brake Lights" They are incorrectly named then. Should be "Emergency Hazard Lights".

The bright red lights at the rear are and probably always have been "brake lights". Possibly rename them "Emergency Braking Lights".

Yes, 

I am taking about these strobe lights red, that usually comes on solid when the car been used normally , but then these people  are no where near normal and drives like maniacs and often just before the the speed camera they need to slow down extremely fast so the “emergency brake lights are flashing”. These aren’t emergency hazard lights in orange, and they are original. These strobes and the loud exhaust  noises pops and fires are all part of the todays boy racers experience and ultra annoying.
Unfortunately many cars are factory fitted with all those bells and whistles, if they weren’t then owners add them and what is more interesting that not only 18-20’s years old does that and drives like that but the majority of today’s drivers. 
And yes , no one ever need any additives lights in the back to warn others what is going on ahead. Everyone that is following should keep safe distance, watch , think and take necessary action to maintain safe drive and be able to stop. Red lights means the car slows down, orange are turn signals and hazards, white is for reverse.  

I must admit I've never seen such a thing, unless you're talking about the F1-style red LED flasher grid that some boy racers like to mount low down on the rear bumper.

9 hours ago, Slartybartfast said:

"Emergency Brake Lights" They are incorrectly named then. Should be "Emergency Hazard Lights".

The bright red lights at the rear are and probably always have been "brake lights". Possibly rename them "Emergency Braking Lights".

That's probably not their name anyway - TBH I'm not sure what they're actually called, I'm just trying to figure out what the OP was referring to as there isn't actually a thing officially named "Emergency Brake Lights" :unsure: :laugh: 

The emergency braking hazard flashers triggering is the only thing I could think of that seems relevant...?

19 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Just drive around north London and particularly Enfield area on A406 or A10 and you can see plenty of live examples, usually with very loud exhaust noises and flames too 🏁🏎

I would just like to preemptively declare I have nothing to do with any of that... :whistling1: :fear: 

• Like 1

Here , 

basically the car with flash lights nearly hit the last car on the queue and then the car that were recording did near missed. All that counts have been avoided if both drivers were paying attention and watching ahead plus driving sensibly with good safe distances and sensible speed. 
https://youtu.be/AlcOkQiZmHA?si=1IUQVYtUhUtjtjJO

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

isn't actually a thing officially named "Emergency Brake Lights"

I refer you again to the Toyota 'build spec' for my Auris.  See attached. The arrow points to the words "Emergency Brake Lights" and "With (hazard type)" I guess it means they are activated in an emergency, when the brakes are put on vigorously and it flashes the hazard lights. Just saying...

Toyota EBS Document.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2024 at 11:13 AM, APS said:

I was under the impression pretty much all cars do this nowadays

Just wanted to confirm my car does have these 'emergency lights'. I was driving along a pretty minor road in dry, bright conditions, with no car behind me (or in front) for a mile or so. I did an 'emergency stop' and both turn indicator lights on the dash flashed quickly and for as long as I was braking hard. (I was surprised, I didn't feel any 'anti-lock-brake' feedback through the brake pedal.)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links