Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota CHR PEV Design 2l people moaning on line

Louie

Can of you guys tell me why folk are moaning about the new CHR on two fronts 1) no wiper on the rear screen 2) You cant turn of the constant the current road speed warnings relating to local limits. My view the screen is so small so  you can use the interior and side mirrors plus  rear camera to get round this. Not so sure about the speed warning noise perhaps using Carista Evo dongle might enable to turn it off. I currently have it in my VW and its very annoying.

• Like 1

Ppl moan about the smallest things. 
CHR is a great drive

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haven't seen any moans on these forums about the lack of the rear wiper - other forums aren't really relevant here.

As regards the Intelligent Speed Assistance, there have been topics in the Corolla, Yaris and Rav4 forums on this, and really the subject has been done to death.

Suggest you do a search of the forums to see what has already been said rather than raise the same issue again.

When the MG4 launched it didn't have a rear wiper - after multiple customer complaints MG quickly tweaked the design & introduced one.

Maybe Toyota will fit a rear wiper when the C-HR gets it's mid life facelift.

As for permanently turning off all the speed warnings, isn't possible - thank the EU for that one 🤣

I know it’s of no help unless unless you have a model with the digital rear view mirror but a rear wiper is not needed. The digital mirror , and washer, is a revaluation once you readjust your brain to a different view to what you have always seen. Took me about 3 days 👍. As for no wiper I’ve had numerous coupes without one and never had an issue 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the non-existent rear wiper. I find I do not need one. Take this morning for example, the rear window was covered in rain drops. When I got to the main road, (I say main road as two cars can just pass each other), the rain drops start moving away and once I hit a proper main road, the rear window clears quite well, if not totally. I was surprised how quickly I have adapted to the fact that there is no rear wiper.

When it comes to the speed warning, I am really pleased with how it works. Whether this is because I have an 'Irish' car or the dealer has altered some settings I don't know, although I am quite certain I have not altered anything. When the car sees a speed limit sign, I get one solitary 'bong' and the speed limit shows in the display and flashes 3 or 4 times. When I get to a different speed limit, again, one single 'bong', the speed limit sign flashes 3 or 4 times and then remains steady until the next speed limit sign. If , (😉), I exceed the speed limit, it does it again, one single 'bong' and a few flashes of the symbol. The previous Yaris Cross was a right pain in the you know where as, as soon as I exceeded the speed limit, my ears were assaulted with numerous 'bongs'.  Another reason to say that I am impressed with the C-HR. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Re my post above - I should have added that the car does not have the digital rear view mirror, I don't think it is available in Ireland :question:.

(Could not find an 'edit' button).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Could not find an 'edit' button.

Once posted, there should be three horizontal dots in the top right of the post. Click on these, and a drop down menu will appear which includes 'edit'. Members only have a limited time in which to edit posts - think around an hour after posting.

Mods can edit posts at any time though, so if there is something you would like to edit outside of the time limit, a pm to a mod should enable them to edit for you.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Mike. My first post was posted about an hour ago, whilst the edit was posted 20 minutes ago and that does show the 'edit' under the three dots. :thumbsup:

Just took delivery of my GR Sport yesterday and I have no problem with either issue. Gtechniq G1 will sort the windows and the audible bongs is in no way intrusive to my ears. Bit like complaining about no Heated Steering Wheel or any other deleted feature which in reality is seldom used. Just enjoy the car as is 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, CassUK said:

Just took delivery of my GR Sport yesterday and I have no problem with either issue. Gtechniq G1 will sort the windows and the audible bongs is in no way intrusive to my ears. Bit like complaining about no Heated Steering Wheel or any other deleted feature which in reality is seldom used. Just enjoy the car as is 🤷‍♂️

Maybe just a guess,  but have you had a heated steering wheel? I also thought it was superfluous until we had the Excel , in a car that lives outside in cold weather it got used a lot, not the end of the world but Toyota U.K. decided to delete it on at least one model , if it had been a cost option I’d have paid for it 😉 That aside the PE is the best car I’ve owned to date, and I’d never say that about the first gen  👍

3 hours ago, AndyRC said:

Maybe just a guess,  but have you had a heated steering wheel? I also thought it was superfluous until we had the Excel , in a car that lives outside in cold weather it got used a lot, not the end of the world but Toyota U.K. decided to delete it on at least one model , if it had been a cost option I’d have paid for it 😉 That aside the PE is the best car I’ve owned to date, and I’d never say that about the first gen  👍

Yes I had it in my VW Touareg R-Line which I sold in March before ordering the C-HR. I used it maybe 5 times in the 11 years I had the car and it also stood outside the house and never garaged. It had a Pano roof, which got opened on the tilt function twice a year on the Eurotunnel and was fully opened only twice in its life (it never leaked via the drain tubes either and the cassette didn’t warp - maybe lack of use was the reason why).

There always seems to be someone who can retro-fit options these days, so that may be a way to get a HSW but it won’t be cheap 🤔

My only real bugbear with the C-HR GR Sport spec is the lack of an electrically adjustable passenger seat - seams like that has been omitted on cost reasons and really should have been added for the price 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CassUK said:

My only real bugbear with the C-HR GR Sport spec is the lack of an electrically adjustable passenger seat

Why on earth would you want, let alone need, an electrically adjustable passenger seat?

Don't answer that - it's a wholly rhetorical question to indicate what some find useful, others find merely superfluous.

When I took the RAV4 for a test drive, I discovered that the demonstrator had a 360-degree camera (PVM) - and in that instant it became a must have accessory. Pretty essential for parking the demonstrator back into the very tight dealership car park and I now use it pretty much every time that I park the RAV.

In order to get the PVM, I had to also have a panoramic moon roof  (don't ask why). I didn't and don't want a sunroof but since I have one, I use it regularly in the summer (what summer?) to let the heat out of the car for the first couple of minutes when setting off. But when I order my next car, I won't be paying extra just to have a sunroof ...

Unbeknownst to me, the car also had a heated steering wheel - I mean, what sort of wuss wants a heated steering wheel? Well, it turns out that I am that sort of wuss - when the weather turns cold the heated steering wheel gets turned on and stays on until spring! If at all possible, my next car will have a heated steering wheel.

Over time certain 'features' move from being 'superfluous', to 'nice to have', then 'must have' options and eventually essential standard equipment. 😉 

• Like 2

Many hatchback or lift back or sport back cars does not need a rear wiper
Perhaps all of them that has 45° or less angled rear window and it’s because of aerodynamics and the air turbulence that happens behind. Estate and proper hatchback that has over 45° rear windows are simply putting all muck on the windows so they do really need a wipers.
The cars that does not need wipers are more fuel efficient. 👌

• Like 2

13 hours ago, philip42h said:

Why on earth would you want, let alone need, an electrically adjustable passenger seat?

Don't answer that - it's a wholly rhetorical question to indicate what some find useful, others find merely superfluous.

When I took the RAV4 for a test drive, I discovered that the demonstrator had a 360-degree camera (PVM) - and in that instant it became a must have accessory. Pretty essential for parking the demonstrator back into the very tight dealership car park and I now use it pretty much every time that I park the RAV.

In order to get the PVM, I had to also have a panoramic moon roof  (don't ask why). I didn't and don't want a sunroof but since I have one, I use it regularly in the summer (what summer?) to let the heat out of the car for the first couple of minutes when setting off. But when I order my next car, I won't be paying extra just to have a sunroof ...

Unbeknownst to me, the car also had a heated steering wheel - I mean, what sort of wuss wants a heated steering wheel? Well, it turns out that I am that sort of wuss - when the weather turns cold the heated steering wheel gets turned on and stays on until spring! If at all possible, my next car will have a heated steering wheel.

Over time certain 'features' move from being 'superfluous', to 'nice to have', then 'must have' options and eventually essential standard equipment. 😉 

No I will answer that - my wife suffers from Fibromyalgia and will find that trying to get comfortable on long journeys with a manual seat is a pain and will be difficult for her. She says the seat is very comfortable but selling my VW Touareg with an oncoming (and no doubt expensive) rear air suspension problem and getting almost £10k discount on my new C-HR, it moved the decision for us from ‘nice to have’ to ‘must have’ 🤷‍♂️

We had a decent run out in the car today for the first time and my wife again commented on the comfort aspect of the GR Sport seats. I totally get your point Philip and some options are more important once you become used to them.

Unlike other manufacturers, Toyota set a basic spec and then offer ‘Packs’ of options which don’t necessarily stack up logically, but they are what they are and yes, everyone has different opinions and priorities on these issues 👍

• Like 1

... and for me it's a memory driver's seat - I just can't understand why they aren't fitted to all cars as standard. (OK, I can really). My wife and I are different shapes and sizes so have rather different seating positions. We share the driving when we go on longer journeys, swapping over every hour or so. Memory seats are 'absolutely essential' to swap our driving positions.

Memory passenger seats would be 'cute' too, but TBH we can manage to get perfectly comfortable with a manually adjustable passenger seat ... 😉

• Like 1

It's amazing how Toyota automotive standard equipment & available options can be so haphazard.

Even more so when certain options just not available to order for certain countries.

Over on the forklift side available options is pretty much whatever is shown in the catalogue for that model of truck - you want it just tick the box.

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

... and for me it's a memory driver's seat - I just can't understand why they aren't fitted to all cars as standard. (OK, I can really). My wife and I are different shapes and sizes so have rather different seating positions. We share the driving when we go on longer journeys, swapping over every hour or so. Memory seats are 'absolutely essential' to swap our driving positions.

Memory passenger seats would be 'cute' too, but TBH we can manage to get perfectly comfortable with a manually adjustable passenger seat ... 😉

Some of this is about weight.

you have not been able to combine leather seats / moonroof / awd / towing fitments / memory seats / spare tyre options across a number of models in the toyota range for many years as the built vehicle would exceed maximum weight for the model. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links