Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

One for Tony!

anchorman

I may have told you my daughter runs an Auris but it’s a 1.6.   I say my daughter runs it, I’ve got two daughters and three cars.  Auris daughter live in Hull so while she was at ours, I took it for MOT and gave it an oil change and annual wash.  My daughters are not car people!

IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_0989.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg

• Like 9

Looks in very good nick, especially for a car that only gets washed once a year! :laugh: 

I'm impressed the alloys are still so neat in a car that old too - She must be a lot better at parking than my work colleague!! :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well done Don, 

your daughter should  be very happy.
This car looks better than most new Corollas I see in London on daily basis. 
I always love to see older cars in excellent condition and clean as new 👌🚙

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Looks in very good nick, especially for a car that only gets washed once a year! :laugh: 

I'm impressed the alloys are still so neat in a car that old too - She must be a lot better at parking than my work colleague!! :laugh: 

She’s been well taught.  She parks a good 100mm from the curb.   It does look good, it’s just clicked over 50000 miles today so very low.  

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Well done Don, 

your daughter should  be very happy.
This car looks better than most new Corollas I see in London on daily basis. 
I always love to see older cars in excellent condition and clean as new 👌🚙

That Ixion Blue is my favourite colour of all time.  I’d have it on my Lexus in a heartbeat.  The car belong to some friends of mine (the wife) and he had a RAV.  It was kept in a heated garage all its life and I bought it when he died a few years back.  I think it only had about 20k on it and it’s never missed a beat.  Believe me, it’s a lot cleaner than when it arrived this morning.  It was green and literally had cobwebs but as you can see, it’s essentially very straight and virtually corrosion free.  My hands are red raw from fitting tail light bulbs which in the end I removed the tail lights off the car.  Then the MOT man didn’t like the LED front side lights as they were too blue (previous owner fitted them from new 🙄) so I set about putting ordinary 501s in.  One of them dropped inside the headlight so I had to take the headlight off which required the front bumper peeled back.   I once repaired her Corolla on my drive.  I’ll see if I can find a photo.   Cyker will like it!

• Like 3

When I left the motor industry and joined the railway, I had to buy a car because I’d always had company cars so I found a really clean Corolla 1.3.  I ran that for a few years and bought my first RAV brand new so the Corolla went to the daughter.  That got written off in an accident outside her house while it was parked.  I then found a beautiful later model which is pictured here.  That was very low mileage one owner and mint.  A sheet of ply blew off a truck on the M62 so I ended up buying a wing, bumper, headlight and getting them painted here then got her back from Hull and changed them on my drive.  

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

toyota 2.jpeg

toyota 1.jpeg

• Like 5

My dad bought a 2001 corolla 1.3 vvti when it was a few months old. He had it as a daily until last year (daily for 22 years) when It was scrapped for £2k ULEZ cash, still ran fine and sailed through mots. He had done over 150k on it with 1 clutch change, 2 pais of front disc pads, 1 set of spark plugs, 1 front shock, 1 ignition switch, 1 starter motor, 1 coil pack, 1 Battery, plus annual oil changes. Cheap and super reliable motoring.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, solero said:

My dad bought a 2001 corolla 1.3 vvti when it was a few months old. He had it as a daily until last year (daily for 22 years) when It was scrapped for £2k ULEZ cash, still ran fine and sailed through mots. He had done over 150k on it with 1 clutch change, 2 pais of front disc pads, 1 set of spark plugs, 1 front shock, 1 ignition switch, 1 starter motor, 1 coil pack, 1 battery, plus annual oil changes. Cheap and super reliable motoring.

We tend to say “they don’t make them like they used to” but they do.  Most of the taxis in Manchester are Toyota hybrids and do phenomenal mileages with very little trouble.   Whether it’s televisions, cameras or cars, the Japanese are the masters of mass production.  

• Like 5

Interesting car stories. 👌
I like these old Toyota cars. They are absolute examples of pure automobile experience.  Hard to find so good examples. Mooly has one of the very best Auris from 2010, garaged in excellent condition car. 
My one got old enough, however the salt on the roads and the mileage has taken its toll and slowly but progressively  the rust is eating her away. 
I think I shouldn’t put new batteries earlier this year and just scraped and move on, but my Auris drives so nice, I had tried the latest Corolla excel, although really nice car I still loved my one more how it drives and the fact that is free motoring, no financing, no dealer services, no road tax , no warranty to think about, no drama.
I am going  to wash her today, I have started to wash less often lately because the paint is peeling off 😅

• Like 5

16 hours ago, anchorman said:

Auris daughter live in Hull so while she was at ours, I took it for MOT and gave it an oil change and annual wash.  My daughters are not car people!

The Auris looks fantastic! I hope your daughter appreciates the car and the help you provide. It's rare to find something that's so reliable an easy to live with for not much money. You clearly spoil your daughters... as you should 🙂

• Like 4

Mrs Kingo had both models of Corolla you had there @anchorman She had the same silver model, but the dark blue Corolla 1.6 (can't remember the colour name) That 1.6 had the finest manual gearbox of any car, it was a joy to drive, the only reason we sold it was the VED was something daft like £285 a year. I got her a newer Aygo with 30K on the clock, cost me 1K and ZERO road tax, it also costs £155 a year to insure for both of us, fully comp, bargain! 

• Like 3

I washed the car today and give a thorough clean and check on the interior. 
I did checked the boot spare wheel well and the batteries, it’s all dry and clean. There were some few drops of water and sand near the vents but that’s normal., no water ingress. More and more stone chips, rust on the arches at rear, rusty spots on the roof from previously stone damages , front bumper omg it looks so much bombarded with stones, radiators are dirty too, I had try my best to spray with lots of water. Paint is peeling off on the rear doors and boot **** , but the wrapping will do it. And still haven’t fixed the tow hook cap, but it might just keep the white wrap on, or add a camo 😅

All in all for its age and mileage I think it’s ok. I really want to look like your daughter one or like Mooly but with my use that’s not possible. 🫢

014C66DC-4840-4DC0-9167-E0D11F3F9316.jpeg

221494BA-49D4-4771-BF85-3333F9D31247.jpeg

5B4ECAC3-BF6E-4C74-9F5D-B1B3692BF74E.jpeg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I washed the car today and give a thorough clean and check on the interior. 
I did checked the boot spare wheel well and the batteries, it’s all dry and clean. There were some few drops of water and sand near the vents but that’s normal., no water ingress. More and more stone chips, rust on the arches at rear, rusty spots on the roof from previously stone damages , front bumper omg it looks so much bombarded with stones, radiators are dirty too, I had try my best to spray with lots of water. Paint is peeling off on the rear doors and boot **** , but the wrapping will do it. And still haven’t fixed the tow hook cap, but it might just keep the white wrap on, or add a camo 😅

All in all for its age and mileage I think it’s ok. I really want to look like your daughter one or like Mooly but with my use that’s not possible. 🫢

014C66DC-4840-4DC0-9167-E0D11F3F9316.jpeg

221494BA-49D4-4771-BF85-3333F9D31247.jpeg

5B4ECAC3-BF6E-4C74-9F5D-B1B3692BF74E.jpeg

Nice one Tony.  Blue hybrid dash is nice contrast to daughter’s orange.  Wheels look good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2024 at 11:24 AM, APS said:

The Auris looks fantastic! I hope your daughter appreciates the car and the help you provide. It's rare to find something that's so reliable an easy to live with for not much money. You clearly spoil your daughters... as you should 🙂

They had very little compared to other kids when they were young because we had no money so now things have changed, I can help them.  Neither of them are what I’d call car people, it’s just a mode of transport but I keep them in good order.   There no point keeping them like mine but they are nevertheless quite tidy.  

• Like 2

On 8/7/2024 at 1:28 AM, solero said:

1 set of spark plugs

Hmmm... the ancient 2003 1.4 4dr that was my dads I suspect may never have had plugs from new. The mileage is low for the age, just over 50k now and I'm pretty sure they have never been replaced. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 11:10 AM, TonyHSD said:

Mooly has one of the very best Auris from 2010, garaged in excellent condition car. 

Thanks @TonyHSD 

Its just done a 3 figure mileage early this morning. LOL, first sign of corrosion. EEK:

Screenshot2024-08-10104611.thumb.png.b676a54e2dd5bf97ad7179d4a27116a8.png 

Screenshot2024-08-10104655.thumb.png.7587d41bac9814e08daff40680188409.png

The oil consumption is very strange as you know. Almost zero on a fast run like this providing you don't use engine braking. Mileage 108k and back on the 0W20 Duckhams QXR which I'm impressed with tbh. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links