Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 toyota corolla 1.4 diesel

Michaelgrant

Hello i have just bought a 2005 toyota corolla 1.4 diesel with 67000 miles just wondering what should i do to the car to keep it running well it has a little bit of service history and has passed the car test ,it's driving fine but what should I change or look out for at thus mileage cheers guys mike in south east Ireland 

That's wonderfully low mileage for the age! I got my 06 1.4 petrol with somewhere around 80k on, now approaching 145k.

Deffo keep up to oil and filter changes, in fact it it was mine I'd probably flush it and oil and filters change now so at least you know they're good.

Look at tyres.. if they're getting beyond 10 yrs old start considering new ones. You depend alot on'em!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the reply mate

Hi,

Yes, worth giving it a full service with engine and gearbox oils and filters including the cabin pollen filter and a brake fluid change.

Worth checking if its had the coolant / anitfreeze change.

Haynes do a diy service book for the Corolla but it only covers the 2.0 Diesel not the 1.4 Diesel but it should give you a good guilde to most other things.

The 2.0 Diesel has a Timing Belt which they specify needs changing every 60k miles or 6 years, whichever comes first, do not know if your 1.4 has a belt or chain ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your info and reply mate I think the 05 1.4 diesel has a chain but I will dubble check I will stick all your views on my check list

The 2.0 is the 1CD-FTV which has a timing belt (And an iffy starter motor!), but the 1.4 has the 1ND-TV, which has a chain.

IMHO the 1.4D4D is one of the best engines Toyota ever made - It's very advanced for its time and revs higher than normal diesel engines, and even has a variable geometry turbo-charger! It's quite over-built and is practically indestructible as long as it's used and not just sat there. Its only real Achilles heel is oil changes - You HAVE to give it regular and good quality oil changes and it'll never go wrong. Neglected oil services will usually result in the chain's life being shortened significantly.

To be fair that's true of pretty much all Toyotas with a chain.

• Thanks 1

Top class information 👏 mate what about the glow plugs is it time to change them at 67k

Also looking for advice on chip tuning it ,is it a good idea or what do you recommend 

Ah, the glowplugs can be a massive PITA as they are very prone to snapping during removal, then the turbo intercooler and engine head have to come off to fish the bits out of the cylinders.

Most owners tend to ignore them until they get so bad they start throwing codes to the ECU. If you have mechanic who is very confident and has some tricks to get them out intact, might be with doing, but if they're still the originals they're probably really stuck in already.

Chipping the D4Ds was a cottage industry back in the day - Even PartsKing's dealership were flogging some piggy-back units on here :laugh: 

Personally I avoid that stuff as it just shortens the life of the engine and jacks up the insurance as you need to declare it, but if you find it doesn't have enough grunt for you then it's an option. It won't get it up to 2.0D4D levels (That engine felt like it could tow a house :laugh: ) but it'll give a noticeable boost.

• Thanks 1

Again amazing info thanks so much for taking the time to give me food for thought mate il keep the chipping on the back burner for now as I've seen a few different reviews on chip tuning the 1.4 diesel 

Good luck! :smile:

The Mk9 Corolla is still one of my favourite ones and is a really nice car to be in (It arguably feels more solid than a lot of the newer ones :laugh: ). May you have many trouble-free miles with it!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Michaelgrant said:

I've seen a few different reviews on chip tuning the 1.4 diesel 

You have a good car, even though its 20 years old it sounds like it still runs well, but you are looking at chip tuning ?

What will that gain for you , a few extra BPH ?   that may sound better, but will doubtless strain such a old engine, despite its low mileage.

Suggest you enjoy it for what its it, smartening it up and adding any legal styling mods etc you like ,  but keep the power train stock.

• Thanks 1

Thanks mate I've always loved the older toyotas I had a 2.0 camry diesel over 25 years ago it had 80k when I got it and over 300k when someone crashed into me and it was done and dusted 

I think your correct I will leave it factory 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links