Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aggressive drivers

coreye9090

I've got a question for you all!
Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Since I've gotten my Yaris, I've noticed that other drivers seem to be noticeably reckless and quite aggressive towards me. I'm having near misses far more often than I did with my other car, and it's starting to make me feel really uneasy on the road. Despite being a sensible and cautious driver, the situations I've been encountering are crazy! So many people cut in front of me without signaling, speed past me, or tailgate aggressively. It feels like I'm constantly dealing with dangerous behaviour from other drivers, and it's becoming a significant concern. Has anyone else noticed a change in how they're treated on the road based on the car they drive, or is it just a coincidence in my case?

• Like 5

I suspect that having acquired a new and expensive car you are (subconsciously) feeling very apprehensive about any threats to its well-being.

OTOH is the registration number something that may be an accidental insult?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, coreye9090 said:

I've got a question for you all!
Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Since I've gotten my Yaris, I've noticed that other drivers seem to be noticeably reckless and quite aggressive towards me. I'm having near misses far more often than I did with my other car, and it's starting to make me feel really uneasy on the road. Despite being a sensible and cautious driver, the situations I've been encountering are crazy! So many people cut in front of me without signaling, speed past me, or tailgate aggressively. It feels like I'm constantly dealing with dangerous behaviour from other drivers, and it's becoming a significant concern. Has anyone else noticed a change in how they're treated on the road based on the car they drive, or is it just a coincidence in my case?

I have but it's not just me - All my colleagues have mentioned similar. There seems to have been a weirdly sharp decline in driving standards in the last month or so for no apparent reason.

We've definitely noticed an increase in people cutting in from the wrong lane and jumping red lights - That was bad enough at road works but now people are doing it at junctions too! Signals may as well be an optional extra at this point.

And it's not just cars and vans but cyclists weaving in and out of cycle lanes for no reason while on their phone seems to be a thing now, and mopeds and motorcycles going for dangerous gaps or burning round queues seemingly oblivious to oncoming traffic only to swing in at the last moment seems to be on the increase. Pedestrians strolling across the road without looking or just walking in the middle of the road also seems a thing now.

Maybe everyone's gone mad from sunstroke or something?!

• Like 8

Its not the car its the other drivers who are blinkered to other road users. Whilst your car is new and looks great, it is understandable that you would feel this is happening. Its brand new unblemished probably smells great and you will feel the need to keep it that way. Nothings changed other then your perception that it has.

In a few weeks once you are used to it you will feel different.Enjoy your new car and don't worry.😃

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I have but it's not just me - All my colleagues have mentioned similar. There seems to have been a weirdly sharp decline in driving standards in the last month or so for no apparent reason.

We've definitely noticed an increase in people cutting in from the wrong lane and jumping red lights - That was bad enough at road works but now people are doing it at junctions too! Signals may as well be an optional extra at this point.

And it's not just cars and vans but cyclists weaving in and out of cycle lanes for no reason while on their phone seems to be a thing now, and mopeds and motorcycles going for dangerous gaps or burning round queues seemingly oblivious to oncoming traffic only to swing in at the last moment seems to be on the increase. Pedestrians strolling across the road without looking or just walking in the middle of the road also seems a thing now.

Maybe everyone's gone mad from sunstroke or something?!

Unless there is mass hypnosis or alien influence this happens from time to time.I have lost count how many times over the years I Have encountered so many days that resemble a mad max movie.😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Actually the OP is totally correct and all others about the poor driving standards these days. I drive on average 200 miles a day every working day and i can confirm all that. , it’s not a travel by car anymore but a going to the front for fighting, a true road war. 

The car also influence the situation. Many and particularly the aggressive drivers hate hybrids and does behave strangely and nasty towards hybrid drivers. This is fact and noted long time ago. 
Another reason why many dislike hybrids is because how these cars drives , smooth and linear, where all other types are jerky and wobbly rides, something that the typical poor driver accepts  as normal and expect everyone to drive like that.
I think that Toyota hybrid should become  a norm and all driving schools should have one and all new drivers should try a hybrid as first ever drive and then train on manual or auto as they choice but learn to drive like Toyota hybrid. 
At the end , don’t pay attention to anyone and drive the way you like.
Don’t try to keep up with traffic, that’s impossible unless you want to go illegal. Be safe, sensible and let uneducated learn their lesson. 
People in general are zombies these days. Drugs are eating their brains. But I could not care less. 👌

• Like 13

I certainly noticed this more when I downgraded in size of car from a Rav4 to a new Aygo X.

Along with the standard of driving on the roads today which is absolutely shocking, I noticed that when I had my Aygo X, everyone just wanted to get in front of me and push me out of the way.  I also notice this when doing my "dad" safety checks and test drives in my daughter's MK2 Aygo.

I have since changed car size again to a Yaris Cross and I honestly have noticed people seem less inclined to want to get in front of me or push me out of the way.

Sorry for the next comment if you have one, but it seems to be mostly BMW drivers who really think they own the road.

If you don't have one already, get a Dashcam front and rear, they are worth the money 👍

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Funnily enough it's more Audi drivers down here, and increasingly Merc drivers for some reason (But you can spot them a mile off as it's always the massive saloon ones); BMW has split into 2 camps - Your stereotypical BMW driver, and BMW drivers that actually keep to the speed limit, let people out, hang back when it's better to and even *gasp* signal! :eek: 

SUV drivers, as always, are generally poor showing (I'm convinced my car is invisible to them...!)

• Like 8

I'm not sure I drive my wife's Yaris differently to my own RAV4. Maybe I'm more assertive in the Yaris...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

the aggressive drivers hate hybrids and does behave strangely and nasty towards hybrid drivers.

That's stretching things. The only external difference between a hybrid and not is a small 'badge' that isn't even legible in most driving conditions. Almost nobody knows what type of car they are following/passing/cutting in front of. They are just run-of-the-mill, general purpose *****s. (For ***** insert whatever as I assume the forum nanny would censor anything I thought appropriate.)

As with the OP's 'new car syndrome' you are just applying human logic to try and make sense of something that's essentially an emotional response. "They're out to get me" 😱 (They aren't)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

BMW drivers that actually keep to the speed limit, let people out, hang back when it's better to and even *gasp* signal! :eek: 

Yes. While out walking a few weeks ago a BMW actually stopped to let me cross the road. In the specific circumstances I wouldn't have expected anyone to do that, so I was doubly gobsmacked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Yes. While out walking a few weeks ago a BMW actually stopped to let me cross the road. In the specific circumstances I wouldn't have expected anyone to do that, so I was doubly gobsmacked.

Hmmm, in my experience BMW + courtesy = insurance fraud.

One of my pet hates is people stopping to let you through when you are already stopped to let them through. Very suspicious and I will usually turn off or refuse to move. There is no defense in law if they drive into you when they have right of way.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MikeSh said:

You should’ve reported him to the police…..it was obviously stolen..

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Oh, it's definitely not a new car syndrome, I can assure you that. Even my passengers commented on this...😬

It's more likely the following:

So the moment I got my new car, the universe obviously decided to unleash a horde of bad drivers! Why? Of course, just to mess with me! Right? It's not like I'm just noticing things more because I'm being extra careful. Nope, not at all! It's definitely a global conspiracy of terrible drivers targeting me specifically. Makes perfect sense! 🚗😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Defensive driving helps 😉 

Or, like one of the motorcycle instructors once said, assume everyone on the road are the hitmen hired to take you out 😉 

Definitely the size of the car matters. Brand does that as well - some people just assume that driving Toyota makes you an old grandpa or a woman who struggles to drive the thing and to avoid being stuck behind you, do their best to overtake and at least be in front of you.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, hind said:

Defensive driving helps 😉 

Or, like one of the motorcycle instructors once said, assume everyone on the road are the hitmen hired to take you out 😉 

Definitely the size of the car matters. Brand does that as well - some people just assume that driving Toyota makes you an old grandpa or a woman who struggles to drive the thing and to avoid being stuck behind you, do their best to overtake and at least be in front of you.

I thought that was the Honda Jazz drivers! 🤣And definitely not us! That kinda makes sense why I'm experiencing so many more of these on the road!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I definitely feel driving standards dropped during lockdowns, higher speeds, less consideration, impatience, cutting corners, ignoring road signs/traffic lights/speed limits/give ways. 

• Like 5

Yes, and it's usually "superior" people driving mainly the four rings, an aeroplane propellor facsimile and three pointed suppositories.

No matter what I've been driving at the time (usually Fords up until now) I have found that it is almost guaranteed that any serious tailgating will be by a big white Audi! Beemers are a bit better, but still have their moments. At the other end of the scale, people driving dangerously slowly will usually be in Hondas or non-descript stuff like Kias.  

As for the original point, I definitely felt a bit exposed/wary driving my brand new Yaris, but that soon passed.

• Like 3

I agree it's got worse but i was always taught to drive defensively and having ridden motorcycles i know how dangerous it can be.

However lets put this in to context...yesterday i was out in my other car a Golf R which normally attracts idiots in small cars to race me and stick to my rear bumper which i never take on or get road rage.

The woman in front of me was in a Yaris Cross and i followed her for nearly 15 miles along the A59 and at nearly every roundabout she was in the wrong lane,stopped at the line when it clearly was safe to proceed,obviously didn't tick the options when ordering her car of indicators as never once used them and then decided the car couldn't get anywhere near the speed limit and drove at least 20 mph below it.

I could at any point have passed safely but i honestly thought she was having a medical episode but it turned out she probably should have given up driving years ago.

So yes it's mainly BMW or Audi or as i have found more recently Tossler drivers(sorry Tesla) that cause the problems but don't forget it can be Toyota or any driver.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MikeSh said:

That's stretching things. The only external difference between a hybrid and not is a small 'badge' that isn't even legible in most driving conditions. Almost nobody knows what type of car they are following/passing/cutting in front of. They are just run-of-the-mill, general purpose *****s. (For ***** insert whatever as I assume the forum nanny would censor anything I thought appropriate.)

As with the OP's 'new car syndrome' you are just applying human logic to try and make sense of something that's essentially an emotional response. "They're out to get me" 😱 (They aren't)

The main reason why hybrid drivers are most likely hated by other and particularly the impatient ones is because the hybrids drives smoother than other petrol or diesel cars that has gears. The hybrids accelerate very smooth and doesn’t usually provide these pull away sense and gear change shift shocks. Then when you slow down they use regenerative braking and no brake lights unless you press the brakes . So in normal driving conditions and if you are a good relaxed driver those behind that has no sense for driving dynamics , does not watch their speed, does not anticipate ahead gets irritated and goes crazy to overtake. 
That’s all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, MC1216 said:

So yes it's mainly BMW or Audi or as i have found more recently Tossler drivers(sorry Tesla) that cause the problems but don't forget it can be Toyota or any driver.

Yeah, my mantra is to trust NO ONE on the road around me, then I'm never disappointed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

The main reason why hybrid drivers are most likely hated by other and particularly the impatient ones is because the hybrids drives smoother than other petrol or diesel cars that has gears. The hybrids accelerate very smooth and doesn’t usually provide these pull away sense and gear change shift shocks. Then when you slow down they use regenerative braking and no brake lights unless you press the brakes . So in normal driving conditions and if you are a good relaxed driver those behind that has no sense for driving dynamics , does not watch their speed, does not anticipate ahead gets irritated and goes crazy to overtake. 
That’s all. 

Yeah I do find that I don't use my breaks as much as I did in my other car!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MikeSh said:

It was only so that he could take better aim at you......

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Corollanutter said:

so that he could take better aim at you......

...as it lacks the front sights 😄

Mercedes logo Stock Photos, Royalty Free Mercedes logo Images |  Depositphotos

• Haha 9

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links