Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aggressive drivers

coreye9090

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Weirdly my friend and my brother can switch between the two, no dramas. :confused1: I'm pretty sure they're aliens or mutants or something. :g: 

This makes complete sense,as I am a self confessed alien mutant too.

In fact I had a bit part in Men in Black 2,non speaking, I only had to wave a tentacle in the background.

But back here on earth I think driving LHD  cars on drive on the right roads, and vice versa comes a lot easier if you do it when you're younger.

Back in the late 70s early 80s I used to use the Harwich Hamburg and Harwich Bremerhaven ferries a fair bit then, the old Prinz line.

Of course the impoverished brickies returning to Harwich after a few months driving in Germany in an assortment of old RHD bangers,(at one time I had the old ford flying pig a la aufweidersehen pet )would immediately start driving on the right, having got so used to it.

So common that the police at the ferry terminal entrance/exit would give a gentle reminder to get on the left, also ignore the out of date tax discs which had run out while abroad.

On all subsequent trips over the years I still had the instinct to easily switch one to the other, took about half an hour to get used to it again, this also was the case driving  LHD cars, hiring on holiday etc it is easy to stick a post it note on the steering wheel saying "drive on the right"

• Haha 3

There are several factors regarding the standards of today’s driving, the reliance on technology to monitor driving ie, speed cameras both fixed and mobile, the decline in roads policing via the lack of recruiting more patrol and general police officers, and social media, people can post with anonymity and without consequences, this transfers into society and our roads, admonish a driver or cyclist and you will be met with a mouthful of abuse, people make mistakes but it’s never their fault it’s yours for daring to beep your horn to tell them “ I am here” nobody accepts responsibility, I’m sure you have watched the dash cam footage on yt, many incidents can be avoided by having more awareness, instead, they drive faster just so they can capture footage and post it online, I used to have a gas qualification and had to have a course every five years, but you can pass your test at 17 and never have to be tested again, a vehicle can be just as lethal as a gas escape, we should have mandatory retesting/refresher lessons every few years, perhaps based on a traffic light system, green, no problem, amber, a few things need to be worked on, and red, well , you need retraining asap, 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Primus1 said:

we should have mandatory retesting/refresher lessons every few years....

A lovely idea. But there just isn't the infrastructure. Not enough driving instructors or examiners. The DVLA couldn't cope with the millions of license renewal applications every year - etc. I always though having push bikes with a license plate would be a good idea. Half the reason a lot of cyclist behave with no consideration is that they are un-catchable. They could have a 'MOT' as well. There are probably 10 million cycles in regular use - can you imagine the infrastructure needed to process it all? Like regular car driver re-tests... wishful thinking. 

• Like 3

I think a good idea would be to have compulsory watching of Dashcam you tube videos.

I probably watch too many of them but it certainly affects my driving. The things that can go wrong from such an innocent mistake, the sort everyone makes, with no exceptions.

• Like 5

I've seen this whilst in my Rav as well. Young idiots speeding in their piece of crap VWs as well as wives who's SUVs have been bought for them, tailgaiting and being a menace.

I always say to my wife, if these other cars that speed past are crashed or flipped over further up the road I certainly wont be calling 999 for them. Darwinism at its finest if/when it happens.

• Like 6

Yes I know it will never be ( mandatory refresher course) perhaps the return of public information films might help.

• Like 3

On 8/9/2024 at 5:45 PM, Primus1 said:

Yes I know it will never be ( mandatory refresher course) perhaps the return of public information films might help.

o you cant have these as someone will complain about them being to scary or something. I remember the adverts I had as a kid about not flying kites near power lines or you will be fried, not swimming in quarries as death is stood watching or watching a melon hit a windscreen when you crossed between parked cars, they were excellent and scared the crap out of you as a kid but you remember them and made you think. But I could see some people moaning about them scaring their children nowadays so it would not happen.

• Like 4

I also think that there are a lot of inexperienced non UK taught drivers and they really are not used to our laws and roads.

It would be nice if there would be some sort of "Introduction to UK driving" or something.  I personally would not have a issue if I relocated to a foreign country and I had to sit some sort of test or familiarisation course and if there wasn't, I'd probably go and find one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I also think that there are a lot of inexperienced non UK taught drivers and they really are not used to our laws and roads.

It would be nice if there would be some sort of "Introduction to UK driving" or something.  I personally would not have a issue if I relocated to a foreign country and I had to sit some sort of test or familiarisation course and if there wasn't, I'd probably go and find one.

I believe non UK drivers can only drive in the UK for up to a year and then have to take a UK test to get a full UK licence, depending where you took your original test. 

Example, from Gov.uk

IMG_1957.thumb.jpeg.1259abd2d428c52813a14b847537add7.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jthspace said:

I believe non UK drivers can only drive in the UK for up to a year and then have to take a UK test to get a full UK licence, depending where you took your original test. 

Example, from Gov.uk

IMG_1957.thumb.jpeg.1259abd2d428c52813a14b847537add7.jpeg

Well, it's far too bloody late by then in my opinion !!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Well, it's far too !Removed! late by then in my opinion !!

Yup. That is one of those perfect examples of deceptive fund raising under the guise of safety, much like speed cameras.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 9:21 PM, coreye9090 said:

I've got a question for you all!
Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Since I've gotten my Yaris, I've noticed that other drivers seem to be noticeably reckless and quite aggressive towards me. I'm having near misses far more often than I did with my other car, and it's starting to make me feel really uneasy on the road. Despite being a sensible and cautious driver, the situations I've been encountering are crazy! So many people cut in front of me without signaling, speed past me, or tailgate aggressively. It feels like I'm constantly dealing with dangerous behaviour from other drivers, and it's becoming a significant concern. Has anyone else noticed a change in how they're treated on the road based on the car they drive, or is it just a coincidence in my case?

I’ve a e300 merc and a verso , I’ve found when in the merc nobody bothers me trying to push me along the road but when I’m the verso it’s like people have to overtake or tale gate , I never speed in either car but I get more bulky drivers when driving Toyota 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 152bobby said:

That really should be a leaflet you get given in every country - I really could have done with something like that the first time I drove in the USA to tell me a) You can drive through red lights if you're turning right, and b) What states you can do that in!!! (I got honked at so much...! :fear:  I had enough coping with the fact I was driving what I thought was a gigantic rental car (which was already disconcerting being a driver of tiny cars), but that it quickly turned out my "gigantic" rental was utterly dwarfed by normal USAian "cars" :eek: :fear:  They do like their gigantic pickup trucks over there...)

• Haha 1

Absolutely 👍
If you drive a large car like Eddie mentioned, most drivers will follow behind quietly and overtake when possible without any drama.

But if you drive a smaller car, older age,  cheap make,  non sporty model, hybrids particularly, even if you are excellent driver and drive like you drive a limo , still those behind will disrespect you and become aggressive. 😡 

General road rule is that those who rush, they break the law, disrespect others, use horn and flashing lights  and become aggressive while themselves are actually at fault , not the drivers on the front. ⚠️🏁🇬🇧

Anyone can become a driver, but not everyone can be a good driver. 🛞

• Like 5

On 8/8/2024 at 4:15 PM, Cyker said:

Oh that's interesting, where's "here" in your case? I'm not sure about all EU countries but I'm told in France, Germany and especially Italy, flashing your mains does NOT mean they are letting you through!

In Italy it depends.  On highway if the car behind you flashes it usually means "You're slowing down my flight!!! Please dematerialize quicky!!!" 😉

On slower roads and on towns usually warns you that your car has a problem. 

I've rarely seen hazard blinks used as an aknowlege message. They're often used to indicate a potential problem on the road.  "Please slow down, there's a danger on the road". 

If you see a flash from the opposite direction it usually means "Slow down danger or police ahead".  

On towns flashed are used as an acknowledge sign if you see a car that is tryng to enter in the traffic from a side road or a parking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Absolutely 👍
If you drive a large car like Eddie mentioned, most drivers will follow behind quietly and overtake when possible without any drama.

But if you drive a smaller car, older age,  cheap make,  non sporty model, hybrids particularly, even if you are excellent driver and drive like you drive a limo , still those behind will disrespect you and become aggressive. 😡 

General road rule is that those who rush, they break the law, disrespect others, use horn and flashing lights  and become aggressive while themselves are actually at fault , not the drivers on the front. ⚠️🏁🇬🇧

Anyone can become a driver, but not everyone can be a good driver. 🛞

Yeah this is what I'm talking about, they hate small cars! Like today... I was doing 50 on a 50 road, and this person with his crap Ford Focus right up in my bum, literally! No wonder I'm running out of screen wash liquid way too often!🤣😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In Yankerland I could never get used to those 4 way stops where right of way rotates either clockwise or anticlockwise, I never could remember. How ever I did it I seemed to get honked at.

Also, I have never seen a Yanker that can do roundabouts properly.

• Like 4

I've noticed that since changing my RAV4 for a Yaris Cross other drivers don't take so much notice of me, it's even worse in my wife's IQ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

if you drive a smaller car, older age,  cheap make,  non sporty model, hybrids particularly, even if you are excellent driver and drive like you drive a limo , still those behind will disrespect you and become aggressive. 😡

Yes, I have noticed getting tailgated a lot more lately, even in town where overtaking is impossible or no advantage.

So I do have a smaller, older car, which may be making me a target.

But really, you'd think once they clocked that Tsport Badge on the back it would frighten them off, realising the awesome power available under my right foot.

Except of course on the bypass, where if I am spotted by a 30 something focus or fester ST driver who is wearing a baseball cap sideways over his badly shaven head,then they feel duty bound to tailgate for a bit, then screaming past.

I suppose they feel inadequate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Yes, I have noticed getting tailgated a lot more lately, even in town where overtaking is impossible or no advantage.

But really, you'd think once they clocked that Tsport badge on the back it would frighten them off, realising the awesome power available under my right foot.

Except of course on the bypass, where if I am spotted by a 30 something focus or fester ST driver who is wearing a baseball cap sideways over his badly shaven head,then they feel duty bound to tailgate for a bit, then screaming past.

Never understood wearing a hat in a car…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paul john said:

Never understood wearing a hat in a car…

Apparently very early cars designed on the basis of carriages were so tall in order to accommodate top hats.

Myself, I just wear my longshoremen beanie,or if feeling a bit paranoid, one of my foil ones.

• Haha 3

I've been thinking much the same for a couple of years now although I'd call it 'disrespectful' rather than aggressive. Disrespectful of other road users and disrespectful of the law.

I've not felt any of it directed at me specifically (though I daresay my insistence on obeying speed limits annoys more than a few) just that so many drivers these days don't give damn about anyone else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

But really, you'd think once they clocked that Tsport badge on the back it would frighten them off, realising the awesome power available under my right foot.

They are just awestruck at the majesty of your vehicle, thinking it is a normal Yaris only to have their minds blown as they realize what it truly is which renders them incapable of rational thought. Or even less capable of rational thought. :g: 

• Haha 4

One thing to add is I never get involved with or react in a visible way to dangerous drivers. These days I assume all these scumbags are drunk, on drugs and/or carrying a gun or knife.

Its simply not worth it and eventually they'll take themselves out.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

eventually they'll take themselves out.

Hopefully without taking anyone else with them 😕 

• Like 6

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links