Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota dealerships just plain awful

Louie

This is my second experience this year with two different nationwide Toyota dealership and both leave a lot to be desired. The first dealership handed over a brand new car which was not configured properly which involved a massive waste of my time doing research on the web why things did not work properly and revisiting the dealer to fix things they should have dealt with in the first place. I have now disposed of that vehicle.

The current dealership where I am trying to buy a new vehicle has turned into a repeated form filling nightmare both online and dealership visits. The salesman keeps spinning some sort of yarn about vehicle availability, but so far I have not fallen for it. I was very close to walking away but don't really want to start new negotiations all over again with another sales guy somewhere else.

I have purchased many vehicles in the past and normally this has been an experience I have always looked forward to, oh how thing have changed. I now get the impression that salesmen have thrown customer respect out of the window and treat them as a child or mindless idiot.

Has anyone had a similar experience I would be astonished if you have not.

• Like 3

You should name and shame!

have had good and bad. My first foray into a Toyota dealer was 3 years ago looking at a used car (Volvo). The salesman was very good without unduly pressure selling. The car wasn’t for us however it sub consciously set the mind going with the idea of a Toyota. A few weeks later we drive past our local Toyota dealer and test drive a RAV. Very good experience and we started to think seriously about specs etc. A few weeks later and mindset on what we wanted and price checked for deals on the internet and I approached the dealer near my place of work. They were very good and gave me the deal I wanted. Apart from a slightly lacking handover everything was handled well. However a few weeks ago after being bombarded by emails etc about great deals to be had and having a used Highlander that was of interest, I went in to see what deal could be struck. They were taking the proverbial and took me for a fool with pricing. I told them so and they looked puzzled why I was challenging their ludicrous methodology behind their figures. I will not be buying my next car (whenever that is) from them! 

• Sad 2

Cant name and shame at the mo as have not physically taken possession  the vehicle till this afternoon so after that I will let rip.

Another massive moan I have I will is that I will have to engage in another round of form filling this afternoon because the online form filling failed  really really frustrating.

The salesman also did not seem to understand that I don't want  in car stain protection  and other solutions to keep your car shiny. Also he gave the impression that I can't read and don't bother to look at web content. lord give me strength, more to follow.

• Like 2

Not just car dealers I’m afraid, most companies have lost the reason they are there in the first place, instead just focusing on profit..

• Like 2

I'm gonna guess it involves a Yaris or Yaris Cross & what turns up won't be exactly as expected due to Toyota UK & there laziness of updating the online brochures. 

13 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Not just car dealers I’m afraid, most companies have lost the reason they are there in the first place, instead just focusing on profit..

Without profit there is no company, no jobs, no taxes paid. However I do agree customer service since Covid has nosedived from far too many organisations. Any political party who vowed to address it with legislation would get my vote. I am an out and out capitalist but will not support rubbish customer care. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

I'm gonna guess it involves a Yaris or Yaris Cross & what turns up won't be exactly as expected due to Toyota UK & there laziness of updating the online brochures. 

thats why there is the, *specifications may change without notice

even buying used seemed over complicated with all the e-forms, the bigger the company the less the care, the staff are replaceable, and customers are just a number

• Like 2

We had Skodas for 19 years and from 2011 we bought 5 Skodas from Derek Slack motors of Stockton. The sales people were not pushy, the servicing and friendliness of all the staff made for a great dealership, which kept us faithful to Skoda. However, after 2 1/2 years of numerous software faults with our Octavia PHEV plus the current range (literally as they are developing more e-cars) is ugly and totally unsuitable. So despite the excellence of the dealer's service, reluctantly we changed to Toyota. Fortunately we are delighted. The Corolla Estae looks sleek, rather than the lumpy appearance of so many cars, especially the e-cars on the market. There is a low boot lip, making access easy for our greyhound. The reliability of Toyotas plus the 10-year warranty were major selling points. Our dealership is Stoneacre Toyota of Stockton and they have been very efficient, so far. The car was bought in a hurry as our Octy let us down yet again, but they gave a great part-exchange deal, a big discount on the list price via CarWow and a smart handover, with the car lit by multi-coloured lights in the showroom. There have been two problems: a faulty key fob and a 12 volt Battery that lost voltage overnight. The former was replaced and the latter's fix was firstly attempted with a software update which reduced the voltage loss but after another time that the car didn't start, the Battery was replaced and the car now works as it should. The only downside is that the dealer is 40 miles away but on a couple of occasions they came and collected the car. The car has been back about four times, but each time the car is jet-washed and vacuumed inside and a safety check report is sent by e-mail almost immediately. The showroom is immaculate, good hot drinks and biscuits are provided and the receptionist is friendly and chatty. Overall I highly recommend them.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Without profit there is no company, no jobs, no taxes paid. However I do agree customer service since Covid has nosedived from far too many organisations. Any political party who vowed to address it with legislation would get my vote. I am an out and out capitalist but will not support rubbish customer care. 

Of course it’s important for companies to be profitable, but they seem to focus solely on this and not their customers.

• Like 2

2024-08-10_15-07-52_332.thumb.jpeg.420deedd164b0606ec1ce72ad87f16de.jpegHmmm still in shock the dealer welcomed me back to the dealership yesterday as if I was royalty. The sales guy spent at least two hours with me going through everything and left no stone unturned. At the end of the day I left a happy bunny so can't fault the dealership which is Toyota Boston and a very customer orientated salesman called Darren. Oh and the car is a CHR Design 2l  PHEV in Decuma grey and best of all news I managed to get 77mpg on the 20 mile return journey on EV mode and I suspect I will do better.

• Like 3

Speaking of naming and shaming, I flatly refuse to buy, or have my car serviced at the Reading Jemca Toyota Dealer. I have tried to buy a few cars form them, and on every occasion. I have been badly treated. I find them to be arrogant and rude. 

The first time I went in with my daughter to buy a used Aygo. After waiting ages for  sales person, we explained that we wanted to see a particular car. It was such an effort for the sales person to get the keys for us to look inside the car. We then asked for figures. It was as though we had asked him to give up his most prized possession. Needless to say, we bought elsewhere.

When I was looking to buy my first C-HR, I went in to them again, stupidly thinking that their service would be better. After making an appointment to come in and see them, I was told that I had better not be late, as they were very busy. I duly arrived 10 minute early and then had to wait 20 minutes while they had a good laugh and joke in the office. So much for being very busy. As a matter of interest, I'm still waiting for the quote to be sent though to me for the car I wanted. I again went elsewhere.

When I had an issue with my C-HR Dynamic, I popped in for some advice. Nothing doing. I would have to book the car in, and pay an initial £75.00 diagnostic fee. I left in disgust and sorted out the issue myself, which involved turning on the wi-fi setting in the car (explained to me over the phone by another Toyota Dealer).

With my latest C-HR, I needed some warranty work doing. I called the service department an was informed that I would need to pay a £75.00 diagnostic fee to have a technician look at the vehicle. If it was a warranty claim, then the work would be done under warranty

Never, ever again will I go to Reading Jemca. 

After trying to buy a C-HR from Reading Jemca, I drove across to Toyota Basingstoke. I walked in and they were able to accommodate me without an appointment. We discussed prices and a test drive was arranged. Although I spent ages asking about different finance options and other questions, they were happy to help. I had all the information I needed and signed the paperwork the next day, taking delivery a few days later.

I had a couple of small issues with the C-HR about six months later. Their service team were amazing and fixed them with no charge.

About a year later, I bought my second C-HR from them. Delivery wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, but this was quickly resolved. Overall, the service was outstanding and I can highly recommend them.

As for the Basingstoke service department, they too have been brilliant. They now service all our Toyotas. 

Hats off to Toyota Basingstoke. It's good to visit a Dealer who puts the customer first.

I also need to mention Toyota Stoneacre Gateshead. This is where we bought the Good Lady's Yaris, and my Son's Aygo. They too, were fantastic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Big D oh dear ! I had a similar experience with Steven Eagell in Peterborough where I was handed over a Corolla Excel 2 L hybrid 2013 manufacture where basically a lot of stuff did not work and I had to take my car to LIster's Boston  to put everything right. Staff in the Peterborough branch  did not seem to communicate with each other. I then became an idiot and went over to VW and the dealership was way beyond my comprehension and the test vehicle i drove was nothing like the new one they supplied me with so I have just parted company with it and am currently thoroughly enjoying my CHR Design 2L PHEV with astonishing gas mileage. This will do for me a  huge breath of fresh air.

Edited by Louie
mistake in wording
  • Like 2

Thanks D, good to hear the good as well as the bad!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Louie said:

2024-08-10_15-07-52_332.thumb.jpeg.420deedd164b0606ec1ce72ad87f16de.jpegHmmm still in shock the dealer welcomed me back to the dealership yesterday as if I was royalty. The sales guy spent at least two hours with me going through everything and left no stone unturned. At the end of the day I left a happy bunny so can't fault the dealership which is Toyota Boston and a very customer orientated salesman called Darren. Oh and the car is a CHR Design 2l  PHEV in Decuma grey and best of all news I managed to get 77mpg on the 20 mile return journey on EV mode and I suspect I will do better.

She’s a beauty 

• Like 1

Stoneacre Stockton are terrible 

5 hours ago, Big_D said:

Speaking of naming and shaming, I flatly refuse to buy, or have my car serviced at the Reading Jemca Toyota Dealer. I have tried to buy a few cars form them, and on every occasion. I have been badly treated. I find them to be arrogant and rude. 

The first time I went in with my daughter to buy a used Aygo. After waiting ages for  sales person, we explained that we wanted to see a particular car. It was such an effort for the sales person to get the keys for us to look inside the car. We then asked for figures. It was as though we had asked him to give up his most prized possession. Needless to say, we bought elsewhere.

When I was looking to buy my first C-HR, I went in to them again, stupidly thinking that their service would be better. After making an appointment to come in and see them, I was told that I had better not be late, as they were very busy. I duly arrived 10 minute early and then had to wait 20 minutes while they had a good laugh and joke in the office. So much for being very busy. As a matter of interest, I'm still waiting for the quote to be sent though to me for the car I wanted. I again went elsewhere.

When I had an issue with my C-HR Dynamic, I popped in for some advice. Nothing doing. I would have to book the car in, and pay an initial £75.00 diagnostic fee. I left in disgust and sorted out the issue myself, which involved turning on the wi-fi setting in the car (explained to me over the phone by another Toyota Dealer).

With my latest C-HR, I needed some warranty work doing. I called the service department an was informed that I would need to pay a £75.00 diagnostic fee to have a technician look at the vehicle. If it was a warranty claim, then the work would be done under warranty

After trying to buy a C-HR from Reading Jemca, I drove across to Toyota Basingstoke. I walked in and they were able to accommodate me without an appointment. We discussed prices and a test drive was arranged. Although I spent ages asking about different finance options and other questions, they were happy to help. I had all the information I needed and signed the paperwork the next day, taking delivery a few days later.

I had a couple of small issues with the C-HR about six months later. Their service team were amazing and fixed them with no charge.

About a year later, I bought my second C-HR from them. Delivery wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, but this was quickly resolved. Overall, the service was outstanding and I can highly recommend them.

As for the Basingstoke service department, they too have been brilliant. They now service all our Toyotas. 

Hats off to Toyota Basingstoke. It's good to visit a Dealer who puts the customer first.

I also need to mention Toyota Stoneacre Gateshead. This is where we bought the Good Lady's Yaris, and my Son's Aygo. They too, were fantastic.

Basingstoke is my local one. They are absolutely brilliant! I second that.

• Like 3

There are good and bad dealers  with any marque. There are two local VW dealers I won't touch with a bargepole.

We bought our last four Toyota's from Inchcape at Burton (Group 1 from July 24)- pleased with both their sales operation and service.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2024 at 5:55 PM, Big_D said:

Sounds very similar to my experience with Jemca Sidcup, the salesman couldn’t be bothered when we were interested in purchasing our Corolla Touring Sport, never bothered to phone with a confirmed price and delivery so we decided to visit another Toyota dealer a week later where they arranged a test drive on a Saturday afternoon without an appointment, nothing was too much trouble and they took their time to explain things to us. Guess who got the purchase order 🤔The wait due to production was actually faster than originally stated by the dealer and the handover for the new vehicle was very smooth. Difference was chalk and cheese,

• Like 1

Of course there's good and bad dealers. But they are all a franchise. Every franchise I've come across, the franchiser has strict rules about how the business is run. Effectively: "You represent us, you will do it our way or not at all."  Think McDonalds. Same service wherever you go.

So why don't Toyota GB maintain franchisee standards? If you write to them to complain you get the usual platitudes: "We take this sort of thing seriously..." Then nothing. Go back to the dealer a year later and it's exactly the same. It's Toyota GB that are ultimately at fault here. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Basil-BarryC said:

Sounds very similar to my experience with Jemca Sidcup, the salesman couldn’t be bothered when we were interested in purchasing our Corolla Touring Sport, never bothered to phone with a confirmed price and delivery so we decided to visit another Toyota dealer a week later where they arranged a test drive on a Saturday afternoon without an appointment, nothing was too much trouble and they took their time to explain things to us. Guess who got the purchase order 🤔The wait due to production was actually faster than originally stated by the dealer and the handover for the new vehicle was very smooth. Difference was chalk and cheese,

We popped down to Jemca Sidcup to view a few used Yaris's, nobody approached us to ask if we were interested in anything, albeit it was a Sunday so maybe they were on skeleton crew staff.

Also noticed the used cars at Jemca Sidcup are considerably more expensive than any other Toyota dealers, maybe they aren't too bothered about selling used cars?

• Like 1

All part of my general observation that standards are poor and falling and "any old tat" will do.

If (and it's a big if) Toyota GB really got it's act together then the franchises would be positively moving toward truly excellent service but that costs both time and money, the latter being the real sticking point in the short term.

Excellence demands quality people - we've all just watched 2 weeks of it in Paris 😀 - and these individuals with the necessary skills (each athlete is surrounded by an army of specialists all interlocking to produce the result) are few and far between and therefore can and do pick and choose where and who they work with and for.

I'm always amused when a business says it can't find anyone to "do the job." Well, in that case IMHO the overall "package" simply isn't good enough to attract the people with the talents/skills/attitude/behaviours that they're looking for.

It's irrelevant what the bean counters say you can "afford" to pay if it's not getting the people you need. Poor employees shall lose you money and potentially the entire business in the long run.

I generally find that a small (family run?) business looks after you really well so that's where I spend my money. But, fail me and I'll never set foot through the door again.

• Like 5

Pay peanuts and get monkeys. The problem with sales is too many younger people think they know it all and are enticed by potential commission earnings. Some dealerships have moved to a salary model that rewards on the basis of customer feedback scores rather than just meeting target sales volumes. Based on my experiences if I were to buy another Toyota I would try my local Huddersfield dealer and then York before going back to Burrows. 

• Like 4

Indeed. Jemca do seem to struggle with their reputation, but from what I hear they don't really look after their staff very well and as has been said it's the people, not the brand, that are important.

They have been a very solid 3 out of 5 for me - They've not really messed me about with servicing unlike some of the horror stories I've heard on here, but they've been pretty bad for anything outside of routine servicing.

• Like 1

Well I have just bought a new Yaris Excel for first time

But first a bit of background

I have been in the fortunate position of being able to change my cars on a regular basis

When I first started purchasing cars back in the 70s most dealers were family owned and the customer service was excellent.

But over the years many were bought out by larger organisations and the service and customer care plummeted

This always prompted me to change to a different dealership who were still family owned

When I moved to Manchester about 14 years I was pleased to discover that the local Skoda dealership was family owned and the service was excellent

Unfortunately a few years later they were also bought out and the service went downhill

I also discovered that most of the original staff had left due to the working conditions

I did find out where some of them had gone and although the dealership (Mini) was part of a larger group and the service was excellent

So why the change to Toyota?

Simply that the model range was limited and the Yaris fitted my needs

I now have a Yaris Excel and my first experience of Toyota Warrington is very positive

All of the staff have been very helpful

I needed a lot of help with the Yaris menu system, even though I consider myself computer literate, and every time I called with a problem someone made themselves available at short notice

I was just like dealing with a family owned dealership again

So fingers crossed that I have found a good one

IMG_6874 (1).JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My Toyota Main Dealer is Burrows, they (Rotherham and Doncaster branches), have always been brilliant with me.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links