Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Map update...

David Vel

Hi. Attempted to update the Toyota maps, it said 'Problem with map update. Please contact your dealer'. I contacted my dealer, but they were not able to help. Anyone successfully update their maps? Thanks

Smart Connect system uses LIVE mapping via the DCM.

There is nothing for you to update.

Toyota really need to take the update maps option out the system as it just confuses owners & dealers alike.

Thanks for reply. Sounds good. I will have to find a newish road and see if it is on the map, to test your theory. Hopefully you are correct.

3 hours ago, David Vel said:

Thanks for reply. Sounds good. I will have to find a newish road and see if it is on the map, to test your theory. Hopefully you are correct.

If it isn't then use the link below to feedback to the mapping provider. 

Map Feedback (here.com)

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2024 at 6:16 PM, David Vel said:

Hi. Attempted to update the Toyota maps, it said 'Problem with map update. Please contact your dealer'. I contacted my dealer, but they were not able to help. Anyone successfully update their maps? Thanks

Hi, I was getting the same message while trying to update, but last week, I was able to update the maps successfully from 2023-2024 (Ver. 2) to 2024-2025 (Ver. 1).  I did the following (btw, my bz4x is April 20204 model, location Finland)- went to my Toyota account on Toyotas www pages-went to apps section under my account- there  I saw something like " Toyota Europe map database update spring 2024"- clicked it- system will ask to enter the map version and map service code (u can find these in ur cars navigation smart display)- price for this update was 0 euros -i accepted everything, after that it will give you the option of downloading it at ur desktop with an activation code. After that, unzip the 24GB file to your usb with fat32 formatting. Insert the usb into your cars port----go to the navigation update option....it will then ask you to update the maps by entering the activation code (previous old message of " map update problem. contact your dealership" will disappear). Finally, my maps were updated to the newest version( it took  about 30-40 minutes). If I again check the updates now, then it shows again the old message "Problem with map update, please contact your dealership". Summarizing, DCM does not update the maps itself but one needs to update them manually by visiting toyotas account. Toyota release 2 maps version in 1 year ( spring and autumn versions), so please keep looking the apps section in your Toyota account. Hope it helps: )

The process of registering, downloading, un-zipping the file (using 7-Zip) and copying to a USB drive does work, albeit very slowly due the the file sizes.

The Toyota update instructions recommend using a 32GB USB drive or larger. The ‘or larger’ doesn’t work. A >32GB USB drive is formatted (by industry standard) using exFAT not FAT32. I only have a 64GB drive and that was not recognised by the car multimedia system.

I was able to create a 30GB partition on the drive using the Windows Drive Manager. That then formats using FAT32 which can be read by the car. Be careful when partitioning the disc to makes sure you are changing the USB drive and not your system discs! The device can be re-partitioned back to full size later. Unless you are computer confident, I recommend you purchase a 32GB USB drive. The Spring 2024 update extracted files are ~26GB so a 32GB drive is needed.

When you plug in a FAT32 drive a message pops up on the screen to say it is being read; with a exFAT drive no message appears. Once the drive can be read the Map Update button works allowing you to enter the licence key provided on the download page.

Andy

The drive needs to be formatted as FAT32 - Toyota Infotainment / Multimedia systems don't recognise anything else!

As said above, the easiest 'solution' is to acquire a 32 GB drive for the purpose ... 👍

But ... FAT32 is NOT limited to 32 GB other than by Windose. So if you want to, and are prepared to find an alternative formatting tool, you can format a larger USB drive as FAT32.

The maximum size of a FAT32 partition is 2 TB (in Windows 11). This is a change from the previous limit of 32 GB. The new limit can be achieved by using the command-line format tool. 

Oh come on! Toyota dealers need to be trained to do this at no cost. I do not want to spend my time fiddling around with this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links