Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

HUD & JBL experience?

Heidfirst

Those of you who have seen my other thread will know that I am coming up to replacing my Avensis TS with a Corolla TS, the question is Design (Icon is a wee bit basic) or Excel?

On the Excel spec. I don't like the (imo) stupid wheel & tyre spec., leather is nice but isn't make or break, similarly adaptive lighting.

I have driven an Excel & liked the HUD (didn't put the radio on 🥴).

So, for those with HUD &/or JBL audio experience do you think that you could live without them again or would you not go back?

I placed an order last September with the specific intention of replacing my MY21 with JBL for MY24 with JBL. For me, that is a deal breaker. HUD I really like on my OHs Yaris and blind spot monitoring. Personally I like the leather, even if faux, I find it more comfortable personally. 

• Like 1

I find the dashboard display barely visible in daylight - not enough brightness adjustment. The HUD is, therefore, invaluable. It shows current speed limit (though, as many have remarked, often the wrong limit as Road Sign Assist is very hit and miss), current speed, state of ACC including set distance to preceding vehicle and navigation details at junctions and roundabouts. There is also the red steering wheel warning if you don't keep a firm grip on the wheel.

I also find that the indicator sound is almost inaudible. I am, however 82 in a couple of days but even with hearing aids, it is difficult.

I rarely use the JBL audio system when driving but it certainly seems very good when I listen to it stationary.

I too dislike the absurd choice of wheel and tyre size but have got used to it.

All in all, I am very pleased with the car after several German SUVs (and an Audi A5 Cabriolet for my second adolescence).  

Been JBL since 2007. Never gone back 

• Like 1

I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with the JBL in my Yaris as I find it incredibly underwhelming. The bass response is pathetic and the frequency balance is terrible for a moving car. It sounds great when the car's standing still and the engine isn't running, but as soon as you throw engine and wind noise into the mix it swamps the sound output. I actually found the stock system in the Icon-spec courtesy car I had for a month much better balanced for use on the move!

The HUD I couldn't live without, but that's because I had Mk1 and Mk2 Yarisueseisueses before and once you've gotten used to those lovely clear collimated digital dashboards, going back to in-your-face medieval dial-based dashboards feels like taking a big step backward.

Another vote for HUD...i had in on a previous Mazda and loved it and my Golf dosen't have it and i kind of miss it although it didn't work on the Mazda for navigation(Google maps etc) unless i was using the in built sat nav.

I am in a similar postion at the moment...i have a late corolla gr hatch but due to a change in circumstances i am looking at a touring...i really like different bits of the GR and Excel and can't decide which one to go for.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 3:35 PM, Paul 85 said:

I find the dashboard display barely visible in daylight - not enough brightness adjustment. The HUD is, therefore, invaluable.

Having only previously driven an Excel this morning I got the chance to drive a Design.

Despite supposedly having been taken off the Auto setting the dash very often dimmed down to the point that you could not see it (cue "bong" as I unwittingly went marginally over the local speed limit 😛 ) only to brighten to fully legible when we went into shade etc.

I therefore now view the HUD as a prerequisite which means an Excel (even though I hate the 18"/40 profile wheel/tyre combo).

On 8/14/2024 at 4:41 PM, Heidfirst said:

Having only previously driven an Excel this morning I got the chance to drive a Design.

Despite supposedly having been taken off the Auto setting the dash very often dimmed down to the point that you could not see it (cue "bong" as I unwittingly went marginally over the local speed limit 😛 ) only to brighten to fully legible when we went into shade etc.

I therefore now view the HUD as a prerequisite which means an Excel (even though I hate the 18"/40 profile wheel/tyre combo).

It has been suggested that the dim screen may have been caused by the trade plate being on the dashboard during the road test covering the sensor, sounds at least plausible.

Was this the salesman trying to create an issue for me to prefer the HUD-equipped Excel over the cheaper Design or just incompetence?🧐

Not sure that would cover Paul 85's issue though.

• Like 1

I think that would make it overly bright? 

apparently it makes the car think that it is dark, brings on the lights (which I did notice on the dash) & automatically dims the dash

• Like 1

Actually yeah you're right - my brain isn't in gear. 

• Haha 1

Got so used to the HUD rarely look at the main display for speed and adaptive cruise settings, etc.. JBL seems decent tho nothing much to compare it to. It is a pretty comfortable drive and not overly noisy. I also like the look of the 18" wheels / tyres.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corolly Poly said:

. I also like the look of the 18" wheels / tyres.

It's not the look that worries me ... .😱

• Like 1

Just remember you can change them...! Albeit at extra cost... but it's a one-off cost and will slowly pay for itself as tyres for smaller rims are inexplicably cheaper despite having more material! :confused1: :laugh: 

15 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

It has been suggested that the dim screen may have been caused by the trade plate being on the dashboard during the road test covering the sensor, sounds at least plausible.

Was this the salesman trying to create an issue for me to prefer the HUD-equipped Excel over the cheaper Design or just incompetence?🧐

Not sure that would cover Paul 85's issue though.

I have a 2023 excel. I wanted the HUD as I like it on our other car. That said, the display behind the steering wheel is absolutely fine too - no dimness or brightness issues for me in any light conditions- I suspect a setting needs changing or there’s a fault for anyone who’s display is causing brightness issues. I don’t know what setting it might be (assuming there even is a setting) as mine worked out of the box. 

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

Just remember you can change them...! Albeit at extra cost... but it's a one-off cost and will slowly pay for itself as tyres for smaller rims are inexplicably cheaper despite having more material! :confused1: :laugh: 

but then you have to store them for when you resell or lose value ...

&, having checked, even the 18"/40 profile tyres for the Corolla are significantly cheaper than the 17"/higher profile for my Avensis (uses an unusual size).

3 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

but then you have to store them for when you resell or lose value ...

&, having checked, even the 18"/40 profile tyres for the Corolla are significantly cheaper than the 17"/higher profile for my Avensis (uses an unusual size).

If you are after hud and jbl get the top spec car and then if you are not happy with the oem 18” wheels tyres set you can buy 16” and switch over. This is so much easier and cheaper than buying icon and adding the extras. 
If me I still gonna have excel and change the wheels if necessary even though I don’t care about hud or jbl , there  are more important goodies only available on these trims headlights, sound proofing, windows operating, mirrors etc 

17 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

It's not the look that worries me ... .😱

Doesn't worry me. Its a bonus as the car looks pretty good. I don't find it noisy. It handles pretty well for a large estate. Price of replacement tyres not exorbitant. I like the rim protection. Only downside might be increased risk of puncture on our potholed roads but I will live with that and try not to go over them 😁

• Like 1

Regarding cons with the Excel spec - I've read reports (incuding on this forum) about issues with the faux leather used on Excel seats; apparently it's prone to becoming saggy early in the car's life. I can't comment on this but I did think the seats on the Excel that I test drove, though comfortable, were unnecessarily broad at the 'shoulders' of the seat back, limiting the forward view of rear seat passengers. This isn't an issue with the seats in the Design, which are also very comfortable and feel like they will stand up to long-term wear and tear much better than the Excel seats. Other than that and the deeper sidewall on tyres fitted to the Design's 17" wheels (a bit more ride comfort and pothole protection), I think the extra features of the Excel spec are nice but they certainly weren't deal breakers for me - the Design is a very well-equipped car.

The seats do obscure rear passenger view, same on our Yaris. But I'm up front so if the rear seat passengers don't like it then they need to find another "dads taxi" 😂

• Haha 2

I have a 23 TS Excel, you get rcta and blind spot monitoring as well as hud and excellent adaptive headlights and more, the leather seats are disappointing as they sag very quickly but can live with that as the other goodies make up for it. 

• Like 2

My 73 excel is the best car I’ve owned. Unbelievably, I clean the car every few weeks and polish it which is a first! I used to go 2 years without cleaning on other cars.
At 53 years of age I’ve had the German and French motors eg Audi a4 s line etc and my last car was a 73 sportage gt line s which was nice but not as good as the Corolla excel in overall quality, drive and efficiency.

The HUD is something I must have on all future cars. It has become invaluable. I absolutely love the direction arrows as I have no sense of direction 🤣

As stated by others: the rcta and the blind spot monitoring are mint but they are on other manufacturers/ models as well.

The seats I find are very comfortable and I have no “sag”. I don’t care about the view from the rear being obscured by the front seat, I’m driving.

Oh and the amount of gear I can get in the back with the seats down is frankly amazing! Well happy!

The only negative is the audio which IMO is pretty crap. I’d go as far as the worst I’ve had in who knows how long. However, I’m a bit hard of hearing (selectively my other half reckons) so that may have an impact. I have the bass +2 and the treble +1 and I still have to change volume up and down between sources (CarPlay tracks in particular).

Anyway, apologies for rambling, just buy the excel and steer around the pot holes 🕳️ 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi new to the forum as just looking at Corolla TS. I have looked on Toyota website and downloaded the TS brochure. Has the JBL option been removed from the Excel spec now at it isn’t mentioned anywhere as far as I can see.

30 minutes ago, Tomo2001 said:

Hi new to the forum as just looking at Corolla TS. I have looked on Toyota website and downloaded the TS brochure. Has the JBL option been removed from the Excel spec now at it isn’t mentioned anywhere as far as I can see.

JBL and HUD are standard on MY24 Excel.

Oh and the brochure is not actually accurate - doesn't mention JBL even though they did update for 2024

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links