Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris E150 - Squeaking / Chirping During Low Speeds

E150_Rider

Hi All,

I have a 2011 1.33L Toyota Auris (E150 facelift) that, after 4 to 5 miles of city driving, I'm hearing squeaking / chirping noises - most likely from the rear - when travelling at low speeds i.e. anywhere up until 25 to 30 mph. If I exceed this speed or apply the brakes the noises disappear. It's more prevalent in the winter, though I've been experiencing this in the summer months too.

I've taken it to a couple garages for inspection which, unfortunately, hasn't yielded into determining the root cause. When I ask about the general condition of the discs, pads, calipers and sliding pins they state all's well.

The bit that stumps me is back in 2020 it had new discs & pads all around as well as new calipers at the rear as the offside rear was binding which had resulted in a continuous and loud squealing noise occurring after a mile of driving. Since this I've only put on 4000 miles and so, from the general looks of things, the pads and discs look in good order on all four corners.

Interestingly, as I was walking today, I heard and saw a 2014 Lexus CT200h exhibiting the exact same symptoms my Auris is experiencing as it was crawling at no more than 10 to 15 mph in traffic. I've also come across other E150 generation Auris' as well as its predecessor, the E120 Corolla, showcasing the same symptoms so this must be a potentially common issue.

I wanted to inquire if anyone has experienced anything similar on their vehicle(s) (please mention which make, model & year), the root cause and what it took to rectify?

Thanks.

I get that with my Yaris if I haven't braked hard much for a while (Because of the way I drive the regen braking does 80-90% of the braking most of the time so the friction brakes don't get used much, except when I have to stop suddenly because of suicidal people/drivers/riders).

If it gets too squealy I will flick it to N and brake, which forces it to use the friction brakes, and that usually clears it after a few goes. Only do this somewhere safe and preferably with no other traffic around though!

• Like 1

These sounds usually comes from pad wear acoustic shims but if these were replaced and still have life left in them then the other thing likely to be a corrosion on the discs. , or dried slider pins. 
Mechanics can do visual inspection and even to look in order but if you still get the noises something it’s not ok and the only way to find out is to dismantle, check, clean, lube and out all back together. 👍

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 11:52 PM, TonyHSD said:

These sounds usually comes from pad wear acoustic shims but if these were replaced and still have life left in them then the other thing likely to be a corrosion on the discs. , or dried slider pins. 
Mechanics can do visual inspection and even to look in order but if you still get the noises something it’s not ok and the only way to find out is to dismantle, check, clean, lube and out all back together. 👍

Hi TonyHSD, I echo your input. There's definitely something amiss, and it's temp related as it only occurs if the brakes are used a moderate amount at the very least.

I'll take it to a couple more reputable places, and if no fault found then will request a brake clean-up of the core components.

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links