Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Toyota CHR PHEV minor gripes

Louie

The new door handles that pop open are just muck gatherers (see pics). Also they look very fragile and I am worried they might snap off one day when I  pull on the  the door handle.

The gear change is a bit odd and I had to get used to it. The reverse is engaged by pulling to the right and then forward logically it should be backward and drive should have been to engage and push forward all a bit of an  illogical design.

The controls for AC are  confusing being grouped too close to  the heating controls. Regulating the fan output  by a series of keys with meaningless dashes on them is in my opinion a bit naff and Toyota could have done better. I would have stuck a fan x1 and fan x2 symbol on them

Last but not least whatever happened to controlling the volume by a rotary button the + or - presses react to slowly and to add to my frustration the volume control on the steering wheels has stopped working as you can only increase the volume not lower it no matter how you press it, plus its a very hard press.

The on line criticism of lack of boot space and cramped rear has no merit whatsoever in my opinion.

Apart from that the car is virtually  perfect and I am enjoying the driving it  every day. The above minor gripes  would not have put me off buying the CHR PEHV 9 out of 10 marks to Toyota.

IMG_3759~photo.JPG

IMG_3760~photo.JPG

IMG_3761~photo.JPG

IMG_3763~photo.JPG

• Like 1

Pretty much the AV contents of the new Prius and B4ZX inside. 
R has always been over and forward for many years 

your lack of boot-space is probably caused by the bigger Battery as you have chosen a PHEV

• Like 2

I think I will pick this car over the new Prius any time. 
Haven’t been in Prius yet but I tried chr and I like it although ultra dark inside and rear seats are like a bench placed in a cave still like it more than Prius. The gear shifter is perfect and logical same as Prius , but you need some time to adjust from Corolla. Ac controls aren’t too bad either but again in Corolla they are easier to use. Door handles well same as Prius ans bz4x dashboard instruments, absolutely unnecessary and not practical but perhaps interesting to some buyers. If 9 out of 10 then you are perfect , soon will be 10/10 

Enjoy your new car . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I think I will pick this car over the new Prius any time. 
Haven’t been in Prius yet but I tried chr and I like it although ultra dark inside and rear seats are like a bench placed in a cave still like it more than Prius. The gear shifter is perfect and logical same as Prius , but you need some time to adjust from Corolla. Ac controls aren’t too bad either but again in Corolla they are easier to use. Door handles well same as Prius ans bz4x dashboard instruments, absolutely unnecessary and not practical but perhaps interesting to some buyers. If 9 out of 10 then you are perfect , soon will be 10/10 

Enjoy your new car . 

Agreed (and im a prius fanboy)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don' know why but I have been using the CHR PHEV boot for two weeks and it seems to be bigger than the 2023 Corolla Excel and no lack of space. Also people forget that as you don't carry all the charging cables under the boot lid etc there is space to store other everyday nicknacks there such as fire extinguisher and roadside assistance stuff etc.

I forgot to say I found the rear seating OK and the car is not too dark. I read somewhere  that the rear windows are slightly bigger in the MK2 CHR than the older version CHR so bring in more light. Also there is a little more space in the back of the CHR PHEV than the Corolla Excel or am I imagining things and  my enthusiasm for the car has overtaken my judgement. If you get into this car drive it and and  reject it then your logic is flawed.

The rear of the CHR is , and always has been, a fairly tight, and dark place, but the Coupe in CHR should manage expectations 🤷‍♂️. Personally we only use the back seats for coats and the occasional passenger so it’s never been an issue for us. I do agree the whole interior is somewhat dark if you don’t have the panoramic roof, the GR Sport demo car we tested was very dark. The panoramic roof and lighter interior on the Premiere Edition was another key factor in choosing that model. 

As for the Prius it’s too low for us but I do like the styling of it and will have look , and possibly a test drive (our local dealer is brilliant in so much as you can have a drive in anything, even if only out of interest) to see how it compares. I’m guessing some impressive MPG figures will be possible with PHEV drivetrain 🤔

• Like 1

I can see the reasons for your criticisms, Louie. Looking at my 2021 C-HR Dynamic, I feel that Toyota have taken a backward step with their new model.  I don’t like my car’s rear seating - too claustrophobic for me - but we are well retired and the rear seats are not used for passengers.  My only gripes are that the storage for ‘bits and bobs’ is too minimal, and the rake of the rear spoiler makes the rear view through the rear window very restricted - doesn’t much affect me though, since being ex-caravanners I tend to mostly use the exterior door mirrors.   What is annoying is, with the spoiler being so close to the rear screen, that spoiler is a haven for spiders making their webs on it - left standing for a couple of days and they really make it their home.

Subject to my wife being up to it (she is disabled), I am looking forward to taking it to France next year - our first trip over there since Covid struck, and giving up the caravan.

• Like 1

How's the software behaving Louie? Any gripes there yet?

I'm interested to see if the 12V Battery can take being sat doing nothing eg during holidays!

• Like 1

Hi Albert I live at the back of a larger pool of water and spiders are a bane of my life as they leave poo on white PVC window sills which the then leaves black and brown permanent stains. Now unless you are quick off the mark and remove them by using orange wipes the next step is sanding which is a last resort. The best way to keep spiders weaving webs round your car and your house exterior is to  use anti-spider spray every now and then and this has worked for me. This can be purchased in most hardware stores.

The new MK2 CHR is very comfortable in the front and should be ideal for a long trip despite differing opinions.

• Like 1

Thomas,  its better behaved than my 2023 Excel Hybrid 2l however its not perfect as it syncs with my iPhone randomly.  However to fix it  I have had to start to play music on my iPhone to kick off Apple Play on the Infotainment screen  even though the system is saying connected but there is no sign of anything happening weird or what this symptom is called "driver not present at the wheel".

I have had no problems with the 12 v Battery after not using the car for about 6 days this can be monitored on Toyota App.

• Like 1

Andy RC , so far averaging about 79 mpg on local runs (from 7 to 20 miles)and I think it will get better as I get more used to driving the CHR PHEV.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Louie said:

Andy RC , so far averaging about 79 mpg on local runs (from 7 to 20 miles)and I think it will get better as I get more used to driving the CHR PHEV.

I'm not sure that MPG figures are really meaningful on a PHEV - unless you can accurately distinguish between miles powered by petrol and those powered by mains electricity. The WLTP figures suggest that the C-HR PHEV will do 353.1 mpg - which it may do under an ideal set of circumstances but isn't going to be achievable by the average motorist.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, philip42h said:

I'm not sure that MPG figures are really meaningful on a PHEV - unless you can accurately distinguish between miles powered by petrol and those powered by mains electricity. The WLTP figures suggest that the C-HR PHEV will do 353.1 mpg - which it may do under an ideal set of circumstances but isn't going to be achievable by the average motorist.

As you rightly point out the WLTP for PHEV is totally meaningless 🤷‍♂️ The only meaningful figure IMO would be the cost per mile , which would involve knowing exactly how much electricity had been added and the cost as well as petrol information, something that I’m guessing most folk couldn’t be bothered with doing 🤔 

As for our PE so far it’s cost 10.13 pence per mile and other than the bit of fuel the dealer delivered it with,  has lived on Shell E10 from our local filing station built a few years back. That’s without chasing any “cheap fuel”  and unless I have to will always fill up at the same place. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Louie said:

If you get into this car drive it and and  reject it then your logic is flawed.

I looked at one in the showroom, opened the doors & refused to get in it - its a backwards step for Toyota, more compact family friendly SUV then unique niche product in the market place. 

• Like 1

I’m intrigued by how divisive the new CHR has been, it’s definitely a love it 😍or loath 😵‍💫 it car. I wonder how it would have been received had it only been a 5/10% increase in price over the first gen and all models coming in at under £40k 🤔 

• Like 3

I sometimes wonder, when a manufacturer revamps a particular model, how do they arrive at the changes that are made?  Do they vet the existing customer base for opinions about the existing model, do they follow the trends shown by other car makers, or do their own in-house designers simply rely on their own judgement?

When they have a model with which everyone appears to be happy, what makes them drift radically off course in deciding on its replacement?

Many of the latest cars on the market seem to be decorated with “bling” (rather like a tartly dressed woman), and look more like Noddy cars.   The dilemma for me is that I can find other makes with a classic, sober appearance, but they are either too basic in specification (unless the pricey, more upmarket grades are chosen), or do not offer choice of power unit - e.g., hybrid.  One that immediately comes to mind is the VW Touran - I have owned two which I found perfect, but the newer ones (for me) have fallen by the wayside.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

I sometimes wonder, when a manufacturer revamps a particular model, how do they arrive at the changes that are made?  Do they vet the existing customer base for opinions about the existing model, 

Toyota where contacting C-HR owners via social media channels as it popped up on the C-HR forum.

I was contacted by Facebook but declined to participate as I work for Toyota.

• Like 1

Oh dear me why has the new CHR turned into Marmite sandwich I guess one man's meat is another man's poison. You can say all you like its my cup of cappuccino  with Biscotti biscuits on the side. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Louie said:

Oh dear me why has the new CHR turned into Marmite sandwich I guess one man's meat is another man's poison. You can say all you like its my cup of cappuccino  with Biscotti biscuits on the side. 

I’m also surprised how “marmite” the new CHR has turned out 🤷‍♂️ If you don’t like the looks I doubt you ever will, sadly a lot of folk are missing out as the new generation IMO is a significant step forward in all areas over the outgoing model, and until a door handle actually snaps off I like em 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Louie said:

I’m also a bit surprised. Granted, this will be my first Toyota, but I thoroughly tested a dozen cars from all sorts of manufacturers and of different types - both hatchback and SUV style - and in the end thought the new CH-R was a very logical decision in terms of the price, specification, quality and drive. I also rather liked the looks, but then again I also like the Renault Avantime and Vel Satis so perhaps my opinion shouldn’t be taken too seriously…😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/16/2024 at 10:38 AM, Haliotis said:

I sometimes wonder, when a manufacturer revamps a particular model, how do they arrive at the changes that are made?  Do they vet the existing customer base for opinions about the existing model, do they follow the trends shown by other car makers, or do their own in-house designers simply rely on their own judgement?

I'm telling you, there's a dartboard! I swear they just throw darts at a dartboard and BAM that's what we get! :eek:  :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Albert I used to be a big VW fan having owned a brace of Golfs the last one being  a GTD. I also had a Passat and a Tiguan. Not long ago I  decided to go back to VW having owned several Toyotas and I was quite astonished what you get for your hard earned money which is not a lot when compared to Toyota. The thing that astonished more than anything was my Corolla handled better than my Golf GTD that was my turning point to go back to Toyota plus their history of reliability so a no brainer really.

Also I am really fed up with paying extra for essentials such as rear view camera etc which in other makes is basic. There you go enough said.

• Like 1

Hi Forkingabout  any idea what Toyota were after ?

Hi all, new(ish) member here. I joined a few weeks back and have been following the comments about the new C-HR. We are due to take delivery of a new GR Sport 2.0 on a 74 plate. This will be the first Toyota, having owned two Volvo XC90s and presently an XC40 but with the children all grown up and owning their own cars, we thought that something smaller and hybrid was the way to go. 
I was encouraged by Louie’s post listing a number of grumbles but still endorsing the car with a score of 9 out of 10, so fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links