Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bonding with my Yaris Excel

BlueMike1972

image.thumb.png.62add532c88d86279a5ed048b14b7db2.png

Think this is the setting on the Yaris Cross I've got on order.

Asking the dealer to change to "Off" as standard.

Also asking for #1 and #2 to be swapped

image.thumb.png.09b7accb73fe9e9cfbb5633f439fd24a.png

and (but not that bothered)

image.thumb.png.05d7a8512263bbe5b8291d0b04cd55e4.png

I know Carista can do the window change but if the dealer will do it at PDI (😂) it will save me the one month subscription . . . 

On 8/16/2024 at 4:21 PM, Dick_Dastardly said:

then selecting the first down arrow position allows you to set the wiper delay by twisting the dial on the stalk

On 8/16/2024 at 9:58 PM, CPN said:

That's a great find! :clapping:

I never knew that and you're right! 😁

Was raining this morning so tried the wiper operation. The first arrow setting only works as manual intermittent when the car is stationary as soon as you move it goes back to constant wipe. 

• Like 1

I was out in pouring rain this morning and once again got a bit lost on the stalk while driving; the 'off' position is a real pain. I suppose the idea is that you put it in 'auto' and leave it there, and they worked well this morning, and I was adjusting the frequency with the dial. Early days.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 6:15 PM, MardyMarvin said:

You are correct the excel does not have manual variable intermittent wipers it only adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers. The variable option is on the lower spec models that don't have auto wipers. You can tell the difference as on the stalk the excel has AUTO written on it where as the lower spec ones have don't have AUTO written on the stalk and just have the little picture. 

The only way to do it if you don't like the auto option is to push the stalk up manually to swish the blades.

My 2021 Dynamic has auto wipers and they are adjustable via the stalk   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ralph H said:

Was raining this morning so tried the wiper operation. The first arrow setting only works as manual intermittent when the car is stationary as soon as you move it goes back to constant wipe. 

I haven't tried it myself but that seems like a very odd restriction. Must have been late on a Friday afternoon when they came up with that design 

Aww that trick doesn't work in mine - In my '21 Mk4, the single arrow wipe mode acts as it does in every other car I've owned and isn't affected by the speed/interval switch - That only affects the auto mode as expected.

On mine the first intermittent position is the most sensitive and will often just run continuously, rotating it further reduces this and increases the intervals between the wipes.

• Like 1

The intermittent function works in conjunction with the rain rates, heavy rain, just drizzling 🌧 etc
Sensor gets tricked by the water accumulation on the windscreen and can often send misleading information to the ecu and you have more wiping action when you don’t need it and no wiping or less often when you most needed. This is why you can adjust with the stalk roller. 
In constant heavy rain and constant speed the adjuster will adjust the time between each wipe off and when the rain stops the wipers will automatically stop too. In cars without auto functions this intermittent wipes will continue no matter if it’s still raining or not. 

• Like 2

On 8/18/2024 at 9:56 PM, BlueMike1972 said:

Ah, not just a setting in a menu somewhere then. Oh well! (I have a simple OBD reader and an app to go with, but I'm not messing about with a brand new car)

That’s no fun. 

IMG_4672.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LOL, brilliant! 😂

• Like 1

Love Toyota and Lexus products but the auto wipers suck.  Now on a Mazda that also has useless Denso auto wipers, you can select between useless and normal intermittent in the settings.  

• Haha 2

Yeah, I did a long journey today in some on-off rain and still kept getting lost on the wipers stalk. It just doesn't need the 'off' position. 

Switch stalk to off position and when it’s raining pull up to clean manually. When the rain increases push down once for intermittent operation and on the smaller rotary switch one click forward, this for sensitivity and time. This works best for me. If the rain is heavy and depending on speed too the wipers will work as they should. Re adjust if necessary . Wipers are auto but drivers input is still needed. 👍

All I can add to this discussion is that, for me anyway, they have improved the "auto" wipe functionality even over my previous Launch Edition in my current car. Mine is always in the Auto position and the sensitivity 1 click down from maximum.

I can honestly say that I have never felt the need to intervene in what the wipers are doing when it comes to driving in the rain (except perhaps to give the windscreen a good wash quickly).

The system reaction time for a sudden increase in water deluge (e.g. passing a HGV through lots of spray) is very quick in terms of time interval and wiper speed control compared to my last car. Very happy with how it works.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links