Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor vision of instruments during daylight hours

Haliotis

1 hour ago, Haliotis said:

Possibly worse as we grow older, but our pupil irises close to adjust to the brightness, which adversely affects our ability to see that which is in shadow.

That sounds plausible but at 57 years old I'm no spring chicken 🙂

On the other hand I almost always drive wearing sunglasses - even on relatively dull days. Perhaps that mitigates the problem.

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

That sounds plausible but at 57 years old I'm no spring chicken 🙂

On the other hand I almost always drive wearing sunglasses - even on relatively dull days. Perhaps that mitigates the problem.

I find that wearing sun glasses does also generally darken the rest of the visual field, except that they do provide visibility where direct glare would otherwise detrimentally obscure ones vision.  To the point where the unlit speedo dial is almost a blank disc, which would not be the case if the dial was fully illuminated.

Our daughter and her husband have just bought a 2024 Hyundai, and the speedometer gives a large digital figure for the mph, instead of an analogue dial.  Now that is common sense - the same condition applies on our other daughter’s BMW X3.

3 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Our daughter and her husband have just bought a 2024 Hyundai, and the speedometer gives a large digital figure for the mph, instead of an analogue dial.

You can set the display between the dials of your C-HR to be a large digital figure for the mph, along with remaining range.  It's on the first icon (the one with the car and the small letter i), and it's the third page down.

1 hour ago, alan333 said:

You can set the display between the dials of your C-HR to be a large digital figure for the mph, along with remaining range.  It's on the first icon (the one with the car and the small letter i), and it's the third page down.

That would suit me fine, Alan.  But i notice that your C-HR is a 2024 model.  Is this facility available on a 2021 car?

Just now, Haliotis said:

That would suit me fine, Alan.  But i notice that your C-HR is a 2024 model.  Is this facility available on a 2021 car?

Yes, see pic.  We still have a 2021 Orange Edition and, until recently, a 2021 Excel.  (all the advice I’ve given to you relates to your 2021 Dynamic). 

IMG_5043.jpeg

Thanks for that, Alan.  Will have a play tomorrow and see how I get on.  If it works, I can forget about the speedo lighting, I reckon, if the digital reading stays on screen when other functions like cruise control with distance from vehicle ahead are operating.

Alan, you are a star!  Amended the MFD to show digital mph.   Great.  Not bothered about instrument panel illumination any more - the digital display more than solves my problem.  Did a short trial run, and engaged cruise control with vehicle spacing active.  On engagement, the screen changed only momentary, then visual digiotal speed returned.

I assume that, unless I wanted to change it back, this facility will remain active - haven’t switched back on again to check this, but reinstating it would not be difficult - now that I know how 😀

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Alan, you are a star!  Amended the MFD to show digital mph.   Great.  Not bothered about instrument panel illumination any more - the digital display more than solves my problem.  Did a short trial run, and engaged cruise control with vehicle spacing active.  On engagement, the screen changed only momentary, then visual digiotal speed returned.

I assume that, unless I wanted to change it back, this facility will remain active - haven’t switched back on again to check this, but reinstating it would not be difficult - now that I know how 😀

Result!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links