Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grumpy old man (The things I hate)

Bper

Aaahhh. The good old days.

I'm a grumpy old git. I've worked hard to get here and I'm now going to enjoy the limelight.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Hmm, my era was Meccano, Construx, Lego, HotWheels, MicroMachines, Transformers, Thundercats, Fighting Fantasy and Choose Your Own Adventure, Skateboards, BMX Bikes, then my parents bought a Commodore 64 and that became a whole 'nother world :laugh: 

The music from that scene alone was a revelation for me, with people like Chris Huelsbeck, Ben Daglish, Rob Hubbard, Matt Grey, Jeroen Tel, Martin Galway, Tim Folin and who knows how many others that are virtually unknown to the mainstream but created some incredible music on such primitive machines that are still stuck in my brain! :laugh: 

I remember playing a flight simulator on the commodore 64 and i spent hours trying to take off and land it but crashed every time. Needless to say i didn't take up a career as a airline pilot.😭

• Haha 1

Ironically I had similar crashing issues in Test Drive, although thankfully in real life I've yet to be involved in a high-speed chase, been pulled by the police or accidentally driven off a cliff! Have hit many potholes and brushed the odd wall however :laugh: 

Amusingly now that I think about it, that game did start my obsession with Digital Dashboards, because the Corvette had one and was the only car in that game that I could see how fast I was going (All the other cars used dials which were unreadable on the C64 :laugh: ) which was further reinforced by Knight Rider!

Then I got the Mk1 Yaris and that was it, no more analogue dials for me! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ironically I had similar crashing issues in Test Drive, although thankfully in real life I've yet to be involved in a high-speed chase, been pulled by the police or accidentally driven off a cliff! Have hit many potholes and brushed the odd wall however :laugh: 

Amusingly now that I think about it, that game did start my obsession with Digital Dashboards, because the Corvette had one and was the only car in that game that I could see how fast I was going (All the other cars used dials which were unreadable on the C64 :laugh: ) which was further reinforced by Knight Rider!

Then I got the Mk1 Yaris and that was it, no more analogue dials for me! :laugh: 

For me, it was Lombard RAC rally on the Atari ST where I would spend hours ineptly piloting a Sierra Cosworth. Also a big fan of KITT, together with the Trans-am from 'Smokey & the Bandit' and the king of them all......the General Lee!

Ah nostalgia.....it's not what it used to be!

• Like 2

Ah.... Knight Rider 😄👍.

And, a bit earlier, Jon Pertwee as Dr Who - Whoever "invented" The Daleks was a genius. Got to be one of the all time "baddies?"

Who was your favourite Dr's assistant?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AndyN01 said:

Ah.... Knight Rider 😄👍.

And, a bit earlier, Jon Pertwee as Dr Who - Whoever "invented" The Daleks was a genius. Got to be one of the all time "baddies?"

Billy Piper who played Rose, david tennants companion, the last episode was very touching and very well acted. Used to watch Dr Who up to the new doctor but switched it over after 10 minutes.I had a nightmare about it and it WOKE me up😂.I understand its lost a awful lot of viewers.☹️

• Like 1

I think I lost interest in Dr Who around the time that William Hartnell vacated the title spot.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Primus1 said:

All these toys were wonderful…then we discovered girls…and it went downhill from there 

If any of you old gits need one of these I just got three: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305731796630

🙂

• Haha 4

I am proud to be a grumpy old man, it’s a privilege denied to many.

i cannot understand why Toyota have filled their new small cars with all this unnecessary technology that the older loyal customers don’t want and can’t work!

My new Cross has just dumped me off the multimedia, and in trying to sort it I have now lost all connection privileges (so no satnav!) and can’t sign in to MyToyota or the app.
The dealers can’t sort it either. It has now been passed up to Toyota but might take a fortnight.
Hey ho, where’s that old road atlas 🙄

PS no young man, I DONT want to connect my ruddy phone to use as a satnav, that’s why I bought a car with an inbuilt one 😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bper said:

Billy Piper who played Rose, david tennants companion, the last episode was very touching and very well acted. Used to watch Dr Who up to the new doctor but switched it over after 10 minutes.I had a nightmare about it and it WOKE me up😂.I understand its lost a awful lot of viewers.☹️

I think mine was Sarah Jane Smith with, of course, K9 😀.  I agree that Rose was a superb character, well played.

I too lost interest when the "current/new" Dr arrived along with the rather different storylines.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AndyN01 said:

I think mine was Sarah Jane Smith with, of course, K9 😀.  I agree that Rose was a superb character, well played.

I too lost interest when the "current/new" Dr arrived along with the rather different storylines.

Yep, lost interest (after watching from the very first episode in B&W) when the Dr became a g*y black man with a les bian sidekick. But that seems to be the norm on TV now🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, PeteChat said:

Yep, lost interest (after watching from the very first episode in B&W) when the Dr became a g*y black man with a les bian sidekick. But that seems to be the norm on TV now🙄

I think if the new doctor doesn't regenerate ASAP then the darleks should exsterminate him.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, PeteChat said:

PS no young man, I DONT want to connect my ruddy phone to use as a satnav, that’s why I bought a car with an inbuilt one 😡

When I test drove the new CH-R the (very young) sales assistant excitedly told me about all the things I’d be able to do with the Toyota ‘app.’ He then saw the mobile telephone I use…which is ten years old (and works perfectly). 

I could sense his horror that somebody wouldn’t have the ‘latest tech’ and unsurprisingly the ‘app’ won’t download onto my mobile…

Next question…”but how do you use the My Lexus app with your current car?”

Answer - “I don’t use it, and I don’t care. Funny, the car still seems to work fine though.”

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, First_Toyota said:

When I test drove the new CH-R the (very young) sales assistant excitedly told me about all the things I’d be able to do with the Toyota ‘app.’ He then saw the mobile telephone I use…which is ten years old (and works perfectly). 

I could sense his horror that somebody wouldn’t have the ‘latest tech’ and unsurprisingly the ‘app’ won’t download onto my mobile…

Next question…”but how do you use the My Lexus app with your current car?”

Answer - “I don’t use it, and I don’t care. Funny, the car still seems to work fine though.”

😂

I suppose I'm a bit of a throwback in this digital age! While I appreciate what technology can offer, I prefer to stick with what works for me. My car does everything I need it to without the extra gadgets, and I'm quite content with that. Sometimes, simplicity is all you really need!🙂

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Bper said:

I suppose I'm a bit of a throwback in this digital age! While I appreciate what technology can offer, I prefer to stick with what works for me. My car does everything I need it to without the extra gadgets, and I'm quite content with that. Sometimes, simplicity is all you really need!🙂

I probably will upgrade my mobile ahead of getting the car, just out of interest really to see whether the extra functionality will enrich my life. If I decide it won’t, at least I’ll have a new mobile telephone to see me through the next decade…

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, First_Toyota said:

I probably will upgrade my mobile ahead of getting the car, just out of interest really to see whether the extra functionality will enrich my life. If I decide it won’t, at least I’ll have a new mobile telephone to see me through the next decade…

What i love about my mobile phone is every time I want to do something on it, I have to keep removing the bl**dy adverts. Why should i pay for an adblocker when I'm not interested in Temu or any other adverts.

Now this does make me grumpy and its in my top 10 list.😡

• Like 2

As well as much of the technology, that we are told we can't possibly live without, what really p*sses me off is lots of the words and phrases that are commonplace today.

E.g. when people refer to my wife and I as "guys".  My wife isn't a guy!  Why not say folks instead.  And using "back story" instead of history.  What utter nonsense.  There are plenty more.

And today the Main dealer advised me that I need an Antibacterial cleanse of the AirCon on my Auris.  That'll be £100 please.  Get lost.  I'll just open the windows instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay i have a different take on being a grumpy old man...and yes i am approaching 62.

Having Sky would i go back to VHS with the tape sticking in the machine or if it records it looks like you are watching it through a snow storm

Google maps would i go back to paper maps and try and negotiate from my home address to Lake Como...a big fat no.

On line banking...i can move money around all my accounts with my morning coffee...not travel in to town,try and park,get wet in the rain and then que up for ages...another big fat no.

There are many things that could make me grumpy but i haven't watched the news in 10 years and i don't care which political party is running the country as they are both as bad.

The only thing that really makes me grumpy is poor customer service but if i get that from one company i move on to the next.

• Like 1

HSBC keep sending me spam about how they have improved everything. What they don't tell you is that you cannot stop them spamming your email and if you do not download the app you can't do anything at all. Been with them for 50 years and everything they do makes it worse. It really is barely a bank now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bper said:

What i love about my mobile phone is every time I want to do something on it, I have to keep removing the bl**dy adverts. Why should i pay for an adblocker when I'm not interested in Temu or any other adverts.

Now this does make me grumpy and its in my top 10 list.😡

Dont use android … just saying

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, AndyN01 said:

Ah.... Knight Rider 😄👍.

Leela… just saying

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MC1216 said:

Okay i have a different take on being a grumpy old man...and yes i am approaching 62.

Having Sky would i go back to VHS with the tape sticking in the machine or if it records it looks like you are watching it through a snow storm

Google maps would i go back to paper maps and try and negotiate from my home address to Lake Como...a big fat no.

On line banking...i can move money around all my accounts with my morning coffee...not travel in to town,try and park,get wet in the rain and then que up for ages...another big fat no.

There are many things that could make me grumpy but i haven't watched the news in 10 years and i don't care which political party is running the country as they are both as bad.

The only thing that really makes me grumpy is poor customer service but if i get that from one company i move on to the next.

I quite enjoy days when me an the “co-pilot” open the 1.5mile to 1inch map and go for a satnav free adventure…

IMG_0028.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Dont use android … just saying

I only got a new mobile phone because my wife kept going on about how old my old one was. I didn’t think it was that outdated, but the numbers were in Roman numerals. I didn’t see the point in getting a new one since the last person who called me was Noah from the ark.☹️

• Haha 2

Just now, Bper said:

I only got a new mobile phone because my wife kept going on about how old my old one was. I didn’t think it was that outdated, but the numbers were in Roman numerals. I didn’t see the point in getting a new one since the last person who called me was Noah from the ark.☹️

Hmm, unlikely. I suspect it was probably a scammer.

• Haha 1

It's funny how just about everything that is labelled an improvement results in it becoming worse, more complicated and more expensive.

I translate grumpy and old as experienced and wiser, although having said that I know some who have been around for 70 or 80 years and somehow have avoided learning anything.

There is an old saying that the past is another country, and yes I prefer it there, but change and evolution is inevitable , and I admit that I cannot keep up with it anymore.

Kindness and humanity seems to be missing from a lot of society now, good to see it occasionally though.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links