Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grumpy old man (The things I hate)

Bper

Energy bills across Great Britain could rise by 9% from October to an average of £1,714 a year for the typical household’s gas and electricity, according to forecasts. Who isn't grumpy about this.🤬

• Sad 1

I’m grumpy about how we let them get away with it..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bper said:

Energy bills across Great Britain could rise by 9% from October to an average of £1,714 a year for the typical household’s gas and electricity, according to forecasts. Who isn't grumpy about this.🤬

That's a result of the Bid Daddy (remember him?) Boss of all of them - Greed 🤑

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyN01 said:

That's a result of the Bid Daddy (remember him?) Boss of all of them - Greed 🤑

Just about sums it up - Ofgem are not fit for purpose.

I always thought that the “standing charge” was for the purpose of maintaining the system infrastructure, yet that now seems to get fiddled with.

Should any essential public services be subject to system where money is diverted to swell the pockets of shareholders?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Should any essential public services be subject to system where money is diverted to swell the pockets of shareholders?

Agree - utilities should remain in public ownership, maintained by Government for the benefit of the population. Privatising energy and water was especially crazy imho!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Just about sums it up - Ofgem are not fit for purpose.

I always thought that the “standing charge” was for the purpose of maintaining the system infrastructure, yet that now seems to get fiddled with.

Fantastic, promise not to do something before the election then take away the winter fuel allowance,then allow the energy suppliers to raise there prices. This is total madness so many pensioners will either die or become serious ill from the cold. Are they looking to reduce the population by killing us off. Oh I forgot a particular party in the 1940s deemed the elderly useless eaters. ☹️

25 minutes ago, First_Toyota said:
35 minutes ago, First_Toyota said:

Agree - utilities should remain in public ownership, maintained by Government for the benefit of the population. Privatising energy and water was especially crazy imho!

- utilities should remain in public ownership, maintained by Government for the benefit of the population. Privatising energy and water was especially crazy imho!

I agree but I do not believe It will make energy any cheaper or other utilities,the governments wants to push towards net zero at all costs.

Whatever energy resources we have left after this will not be in plentiful supply so the costs will always reflect this. The money markets will ensure this.☹️

16 hours ago, Bper said:

It doesn't worry me how much prices increase in October.  I signed up for a fixed price deal 2 months ago and now I am getting my gas and electricity at a very good price guaranteed for the next 12 months.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

It doesn't worry me how much prices increase in October.  I signed up for a fixed price deal 2 months ago and now I am getting my gas and electricity at a very good price guaranteed for the next 12 months.  

Hi Kevin, even with a fixed price deal, energy prices are still really high across the board. It’s frustrating that we have to worry about these kinds of increases at all, but at least you've managed to shield yourself from any further hikes for the next year.☹️

51 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Kevin, even with a fixed price deal, energy prices are still really high across the board. It’s frustrating that we have to worry about these kinds of increases at all, but at least you've managed to shield yourself from any further hikes for the next year.☹️

I’m sure we’ll all feel much better knowing that our Cabinet Ministers and MPs (on all sides) will be claiming their energy bills as an expense for their second homes…

You'd have thought that the highly paid members of the new Cabinet - Rachel Reeves for instance - might forego that expense claim given the specific choice they’ve just made to withdraw funding for the Winter Fuel Allowance for a majority of pensioners. Perhaps they will…but I’m not holding my breath. It would be a great political gesture with little actual impact on them as individuals.

• Like 1

Whether it is private or public company, where it is unavoidable to pay for it (e.g., energy, car insurance, etc) it seems that these kind of companies have set their priorities to rip us off, no matter how blatant their cheek or lame their excuses for doing so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, First_Toyota said:

I’m sure we’ll all feel much better knowing that our Cabinet Ministers and MPs (on all sides) will be claiming their energy bills as an expense for their second homes…

You'd have thought that the highly paid members of the new Cabinet - Rachel Reeves for instance - might forego that expense claim given the specific choice they’ve just made to withdraw funding for the Winter Fuel Allowance for a majority of pensioners. Perhaps they will…but I’m not holding my breath. It would be a great political gesture with little actual impact on them as individuals.

Many political commentators have repeatedly argued that we should cover some MPs'second home expenses due to the long distances they travel to the House of Commons. Someone even suggested sailing the Bibby Stockholm back to the Thames when it’s empty and housing the MPs on it. That way, they could just step off the boat and straight into the House of Commons, cutting down on expenses. I can’t see anything wrong with this, aside from the slight risk of perhaps a case of Legionnaires' disease. But hey, just me thinking out loud of course, this would never actually happen.☹️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Whether it is private or public company, where it is unavoidable to pay for it (e.g., energy, car insurance, etc) it seems that these kind of companies have set their priorities to rip us off, no matter how blatant their cheek or lame their excuses for doing so.

Albert,I couldn't agree more. It’s infuriating how these companies, whether private or public, seem to have no shame in exploiting us where we have no choice but to pay like energy and car insurance. They blatantly prioritise their profits, often with flimsy excuses, knowing full well that we’re trapped. It's nothing short of a rip-off, and they don’t even bother to hide it. Another one on my top ten grumpy list.😡

• Like 2

People on benefits will still get the winter fuel allowance..

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Primus1 said:

People on benefits will still get the winter fuel allowance..

While the winter fuel allowance helps, rising energy prices in the autumn could offset any benefits, leaving vulnerable people still struggling to cover their bills.☹️

• Like 1

Households in Great Britain will begin the run up to winter with a 10% increase in their energy bills after the industry regulator increased its cap on energy prices from October.

Under the new price cap, the average annual energy bill will rise to £1,717 a year for gas and electricity, up £149 from its current level of £1,568, which has been in place since July.

Now if that doesn't make ypu grumpy nothing will.😡

• Like 1

Don’t forget that the “experts” predict a further rise in January ‘25 - so even more room for grumpiness.

• Like 2

An "Expert" is defined as....

Ex - this is as in a "Has Been"

(s)pert - a "Drip under pressure"

This shall doubtless offend someone who is an "Expert" so can someone help me with my coat....... 😀

• Haha 3

On 8/19/2024 at 5:09 PM, Bper said:

What i love about my mobile phone is every time I want to do something on it, I have to keep removing the bl**dy adverts. Why should i pay for an adblocker when I'm not interested in Temu or any other adverts.

Now this does make me grumpy and its in my top 10 list.😡

Try going into the app store and downloading the 'Brave' browser, use this instead of Google or Chrome to search internet. Added advantage you can watch you tube videos or music without any annoying adverts. This works in windows PC, on i-pad and linux. It is cost free and totally legal if you're worried about piracy issues.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ex Tiff said:

Try going into the app store and downloading the 'Brave' browser, use this instead of Google or Chrome to search internet. Added advantage you can watch you tube videos or music without any annoying adverts. This works in windows PC, on i-pad and linux. It is cost free and totally legal if you're worried about piracy issues.

Hi John, I use brave on my PC and tablet but its the apps that cause the problem on my phone they are loaded with Adverts especially that bl**dy Temu.😡

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Don’t forget that the “experts” predict a further rise in January ‘25 - so even more room for grumpiness.

Albert,it does make you wonder how long they can keep putting these energy costs up year on year before most people can't afford it. Whilst many already cannot, it is just going to force more and more people into illness and early deaths.😡

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi John, I use brave on my PC and tablet but its the apps that cause the problem on my phone they are loaded with Adverts especially that bl**dy Temu.😡

My apologies, I should have said play store not app store for android phone. I use brave on my motorola android phone and get very few adverts, the only pain in the rear is Facebook which loads everything with unwanted rubbish and the only way I have found to stop it is to remove Facebook. Strangely I had to do an internet search to find out what Temu is I've never had it come up. Maybe I'm just lucky or not worth bombarding with adverts!

• Like 2

Having recently acquired a 2016 Avensis Tourer I'm only grumpy when I try to use the Sat Nav, what a piece of rubbish...

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Ex Tiff said:

My apologies, I should have said play store not app store for android phone. I use brave on my motorola android phone and get very few adverts, the only pain in the rear is Facebook which loads everything with unwanted rubbish and the only way I have found to stop it is to remove Facebook. Strangely I had to do an internet search to find out what Temu is I've never had it come up. Maybe I'm just lucky or not worth bombarding with adverts!

The problem is you can't stop the adverts loaded on apps unless there is a backdoor to alter the code. As this is unlikely as the owners of the apps make money from adverts in turn for offering them for free we are unfortunately stuck with the damm things.😡

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyN01 said:

An "Expert" is defined as....

Ex - this is as in a "Has Been"

(s)pert - a "Drip under pressure"

This shall doubtless offend someone who is an "Expert" so can someone help me with my coat....... 😀

I shall help you with your coat, I am an expert on such things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links