Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grumpy old man (The things I hate)

Bper

1 hour ago, db9987 said:

Having recently acquired a 2016 Avensis Tourer I'm only grumpy when I try to use the Sat Nav, what a piece of rubbish...

You’re lucky it works!

I left a motorway service area last Saturday and my brand new Yaris Cross’s multimedia screen told me I needed to log in to MyToyota. Everything still worked and I was still connected so I ignored it and carried on. But it wouldn’t go away so I tried to sort it on Sunday - and only succeeded in deleting my account! I then had to reregiser, only now I have no connected services and “my satnav subscription has expired” 😳

My dealer couldn’t sort it so escalated it up to Toyota.

Still not working, no app, no satnav- nowt!

Am I grumpy about my expensive new car?

You betcha! 😡

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I planted a few tomato plants in the garden last year and had a good crop. Picking them was easy with no problems. This year, I chose a different variety and again got a great crop. However, every time we go to pick the ripe tomatoes, and despite wearing gloves, we end up itching like crazy. Taking a shower and changing clothes helps, but the itching continues for a couple of days at different times. I didn't think we would be allergic to the plants, so this has made me and the wife extremely grumpy.😡err

• Sad 1

On 8/24/2024 at 11:34 AM, db9987 said:

Having recently acquired a 2016 Avensis Tourer I'm only grumpy when I try to use the Sat Nav, what a piece of rubbish...

My car is a2021 C-HR.  The satnav incurs a cost to have it updated if it’s operating on Toyota’s system.  I connect my iPhone to the USB and run my satnav on Appleplay.  Always up to date and costs nothing.   Well, on this system I find it very good.

• Like 2

Yeah this is one of the reasons I wasn't that bothered about my Mk4 not coming with a satnav - I wouldn't have used it anyway if it was anything like the one in my dad's Verso :laugh: 

The only thing is they could have done something about the button. My OCD does not like it. It sits there, staring at me. MAP it says. Press me, press meeee, I dare you it beckons to me. I press it. NOT AVAILABLE.

Gah!

Like, would it have killed them to map it to something, anything, else!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've just waited three weeks to get a simple prescription changed, and I’ve had to go back to the chemist four times. On the first visit, we waited 20 minutes in the queue, only to be told they hadn't received the prescription. I then phoned the receptionist at the doctor's office, who informed me they were running a week behind but would chase it up. A week later, I popped into the chemist again, but still, no prescription.

Next, I went to the health centre, queued up at reception, and was told to go to the dispensary. I walked over to the window, where they said it still hadn't been done, but they would follow up with the doctor. A few days later, I received a text saying the prescription had been completed and sent to the pharmacy. I waited a couple of days to ensure it had been processed. When I finally went to the pharmacy, I waited in the queue for 25 minutes, only to be told they didn’t have enough stock and it should be in the next day. I decided to wait another couple of days to be safe.I popped in again, waited another 25 minutes in the queue, and finally got to the desk. This time, they told me there was no record of the order because it hadn’t been booked in. After a 5-minute check, the order was found. I thought all that was left was to put it in the bag and go.

Nope it had to be checked by the pharmacist. After standing around for another 20 minutes, my name was finally called, and the bag was handed to me.This entire experience not only shows how bad things have become but also perfectly illustrates why we're so !Removed! grumpy. "Heaven help us."😡

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Today I am marginally less grumpy 😃

The satnav and the app are back, and all my connected services are back on my account. I did do a roundabout log in via my old MyT app, which then transferred me to the new MyToyota app. Resetting passwords (to the original ones 😳) helped, as the saved ones were long random strings 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am sure this was just coincidental with the Toyota web team connecting my services to the new account (thank you Toyota 👏🙏) but I like to fool myself into thinking I helped 😂

Until the next time 🙄

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bper said:

I've just waited three weeks to get a simple prescription changed, and I’ve had to go back to the chemist four times. On the first visit, we waited 20 minutes in the queue, only to be told they hadn't received the prescription. I then phoned the receptionist at the doctor's office, who informed me they were running a week behind but would chase it up. A week later, I popped into the chemist again, but still, no prescription.

Next, I went to the health centre, queued up at reception, and was told to go to the dispensary. I walked over to the window, where they said it still hadn't been done, but they would follow up with the doctor. A few days later, I received a text saying the prescription had been completed and sent to the pharmacy. I waited a couple of days to ensure it had been processed. When I finally went to the pharmacy, I waited in the queue for 25 minutes, only to be told they didn’t have enough stock and it should be in the next day. I decided to wait another couple of days to be safe.I popped in again, waited another 25 minutes in the queue, and finally got to the desk. This time, they told me there was no record of the order because it hadn’t been booked in. After a 5-minute check, the order was found. I thought all that was left was to put it in the bag and go.

Nope it had to be checked by the pharmacist. After standing around for another 20 minutes, my name was finally called, and the bag was handed to me.This entire experience not only shows how bad things have become but also perfectly illustrates why we're so !Removed! grumpy. "Heaven help us."😡

Having to to sort prescriptions is the reason one retires. You go from working for money to working to stay alive.

I have prescriptions sorted. A little email utility called "send later" set to automatically repeat every 28 days.  Rarely any problems and when there are it is easily adjusted to somewhere between 14 and 28 days until I get my month in hand back. All I do is pick them up from possibly the smallest pharmacy in Burnley, chosen because there are never any queues.

• Like 2

Yes, the month in hand is well worth the effort. I used to be fortunate enough to spend 3 months each spring wandering around Europe in a small motorhome, and trying to get the receptionist to let me have more than one month’s supply was a constant battle. Much better now it’s all online 👍

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

Having to to sort prescriptions is the reason one retires. You go from working for money to working to stay alive.

I have prescriptions sorted. A little email utility called "send later" set to automatically repeat every 28 days.  Rarely any problems and when there are it is easily adjusted to somewhere between 14 and 28 days until I get my month in hand back. All I do is pick them up from possibly the smallest pharmacy in Burnley, chosen because there are never any queues.

The idea that "having to sort prescriptions is the reason one retires" is a bit misleading. Retirement isn't about succumbing to the demands of managing health issues; it's about transitioning from a career to a phase of life where you have more control over how you spend your time. While health management might become more important, it doesn’t have to be a burden that dictates retirement decisions. You've demonstrated that with a bit of planning and the right tools, managing prescriptions can be a straightforward, almost automated part of your routine. Your use of the "send later" utility is a perfect example of how technology can simplify these tasks, allowing you to focus on enjoying your retirement rather than feeling like you’re working just to stay alive.

That said, I’m fortunate to only have one minor prescription, but the delays in getting even this simple change, sometimes taking up to three weeks, are unacceptable. I’m not alone in this frustration; many people I’ve spoken to while waiting in queues have expressed similar anger at how much time is spent waiting, only to be told that the medicine is unavailable or there’s some other issue.☹️

There are always issues when it changes and you are right, it is infuriating.

A good example is that if the doc prescribes a specific pill, there can be a reason for it being specific even though there are generic versions of it so the pharmacy are not allowed to substitute in case there is some medical reason why the doc has prescribed the specific one. Some of that is laziness on the doctor's part but I think that some of it is back pocket stuff from the pharma companies. If a change is made to my script I usually question it at the time of the change and make them specify the generic name rather than the brand name.

Isosorbide mononitrate is one such pill and it seems that different pharmacies use different manufacturers for it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bper said:

.........You've demonstrated that with a bit of planning and the right tools, managing prescriptions can be a straightforward, almost automated part of your routine. Your use of the "send later" utility is a perfect example of how technology can simplify these tasks, allowing you to focus on enjoying your retirement rather than feeling like you’re working just to stay alive.

That said, I’m fortunate to only have one minor prescription, but the delays in getting even this simple change, sometimes taking up to three weeks, are unacceptable. I’m not alone in this frustration; many people I’ve spoken to while waiting in queues have expressed similar anger at how much time is spent waiting, only to be told that the medicine is unavailable or there’s some other issue.☹️

Alternatively, we could simply employ enough people with the appropriate skills and knowledge to deliver a service efficiently, correctly and timeously. It shouldn't be "our" job to chase up etc. repeat meds, they should just be there when they're supposed to be. As a slight aside, what happens if someone has a mental heath issue or memory impairment (I'm thinking early stages of dementia) that means they, themselves, aren't reliable or capable of doing their own chasing up if things aren't "right" at the time? 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

There are always issues when it changes and you are right, it is infuriating.

A good example is that if the doc prescribes a specific pill, there can be a reason for it being specific even though there are generic versions of it so the pharmacy are not allowed to substitute in case there is some medical reason why the doc has prescribed the specific one. Some of that is laziness on the doctor's part but I think that some of it is back pocket stuff from the pharma companies. If a change is made to my script I usually question it at the time of the change and make them specify the generic name rather than the brand name.

Isosorbide mononitrate is one such pill and it seems that different pharmacies use different manufacturers for it.

Hi John,I understand the concern when it comes to changing a specific prescription, especially for medications used to treat conditions like angina, where any modification needs careful consideration. However, in my case, the change was simply from a liquid to a chewable tablet, both of which are available over the counter under the same brand name. Interestingly, when prescribed, the same brand name is used but with a different style of label, and it seems that the over-the-counter versions can't be dispensed as prescriptions.This makes me wonder whether the liquids and tablets available over the counter are more or less expensive than the prescribed versions with slightly different labels.?☹️

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AndyN01 said:

Alternatively, we could simply employ enough people with the appropriate skills and knowledge to deliver a service efficiently, correctly and timeously. It shouldn't be "our" job to chase up etc. repeat meds, they should just be there when they're supposed to be. As a slight aside, what happens if someone has a mental heath issue or memory impairment (I'm thinking early stages of dementia) that means they, themselves, aren't reliable or capable of doing their own chasing up if things aren't "right" at the time? 😉

I completely agree that having enough skilled and knowledgeable staff is essential for delivering a reliable service. It shouldn't be our responsibility to chase up repeat medications they should be ready when needed without added stress. Your point about individuals with mental health issues or memory impairments is especially important. If someone is struggling with conditions like early dementia, they might not be able to manage their own medication effectively, which could have serious consequences. It's crucial that the system supports these individuals so they don't fall through the cracks.

I’m also not sure what’s happened with pharmacies lately. There always seems to be plenty of staff behind the counter, but usually only one person is serving. When they do serve you, if the prescription isn’t already prepared, they have to wait for the pharmacist to check it. This situation relies entirely on one person, and if the pharmacist is ill or decides not to come in, they can’t dispense at all. Surely, there has to be a more efficient way to handle prescriptions.Another issue is that they never answer the phone, no matter how many times you call. You can even hear it ringing in the background when you’re waiting in the queue, but they just ignore it. If you ask them about it, they’ll point to the sign about not abusing staff, and after standing in the queue for 30 minutes, you might find yourself refused service if you express frustration. It’s really bl**dy frustrating and it makes me really GRUMPY😡

• Like 2

We order our prescriptions on line, and our Doctors’ surgery issues them in a 56-day period.  Each prescribed medicine comes in packs of 28 pills, except that my Tamsulosin waterworks tablet comes in a pack of 30 pills.  Originally, I just got the sealed pack and gradually built up a supply where I could occasionally omit the Tamsulosin from my order.  But, for some time now, the pharmacist opens the pack and cuts the blister strip into pieces so as to allow me 56 pills instead of what would be 60 pills.  It is a busy pharmacy, and I have wondered if there could be a financial fiddle here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

We order our prescriptions on line, and our Doctors’ surgery issues them in a 56-day period.  Each prescribed medicine comes in packs of 28 pills, except that my Tamsulosin waterworks tablet comes in a pack of 30 pills.  Originally, I just got the sealed pack and gradually built up a supply where I could occasionally omit the Tamsulosin from my order.  But, for some time now, the pharmacist opens the pack and cuts the blister strip into pieces so as to allow me 56 pills instead of what would be 60 pills.  It is a busy pharmacy, and I have wondered if there could be a financial fiddle here.

Hi Albert,Speaking of fiddles, I stopped a few old prescriptions some time ago by contacting the dispensary. During the conversation, I jokingly asked if the chemist still charges even though I no longer order the medication, and to my surprise, I was told they do. 

Now, I can't confirm if this is definitely the case, but I was thanked for cancelling them. If it is true that repeat prescriptions are still charged even when not ordered, this could lead to a significant financial drain on the NHS not to mention fraudulent.

What systems are in place to stop both the repeat prescription and the associated charges? If the doctor isn’t aware that a patient has stopped using a prescribed treatment, how would they know to stop the prescription and the charges?☹️

• Like 1

In our case, we have to order our repeat prescriptions on line from the surgery.  These are then relayed to the pharmacy, within a three-day time factor given for earliest collection date.

I would think that there is a clinical risk in a pharmacy retaining prescriptions and automatically dispensing them, as a prescription can be changed by the doctor at any time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi John,I understand the concern when it comes to changing a specific prescription, especially for medications used to treat conditions like angina, where any modification needs careful consideration. However, in my case, the change was simply from a liquid to a chewable tablet, both of which are available over the counter under the same brand name. Interestingly, when prescribed, the same brand name is used but with a different style of label, and it seems that the over-the-counter versions can't be dispensed as prescriptions.This makes me wonder whether the liquids and tablets available over the counter are more or less expensive than the prescribed versions with slightly different labels.?☹️

A good pharmacist will tell you if \ prescribed drug is available and cheaper off script. Mine does but I don't pay so it aint a problem for me (special thanks to all the wonderful tax paying members :))

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Haliotis said:

In our case, we have to order our repeat prescriptions on line from the surgery.  These are then relayed to the pharmacy, within a three-day time factor given for earliest collection date.

I would think that there is a clinical risk in a pharmacy retaining prescriptions and automatically dispensing them, as a prescription can be changed by the doctor at any time.

Some pharmacies have systems that automatically prepare repeat prescriptions when they are due, especially if the patient is enrolled in an automatic repeat dispensing service. If these prescriptions aren't cancelled by the doctor or the patient, the medication could be prepared and charged for, even if the patient no longer needs it.

If the repeat prescription is still active in the pharmacy's system, the pharmacist may not have any reason to suspect it's no longer needed unless informed by the patient or the doctor. Without cancellation, they might assume the medication is still required and proceed with dispensing and charging. In some cases, especially with systems that involve manual intervention, there could be a delay or oversight in updating the pharmacy.☹️

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

A good pharmacist will tell you if \ prescribed drug is available and cheaper off script. Mine does but I don't pay so it aint a problem for me (special thanks to all the wonderful tax paying members :))

Like yourself I do not pay, but if a tablet is available on the shelf for retail but the pharmacist hasn't got the supply on his shelf then why can they not take it from the retail shelf. I do understand when the only difference is the labels.?☹️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Albert,Speaking of fiddles, I stopped a few old prescriptions some time ago by contacting the dispensary. During the conversation, I jokingly asked if the chemist still charges even though I no longer order the medication, and to my surprise, I was told they do. 

Now, I can't confirm if this is definitely the case, but I was thanked for cancelling them. If it is true that repeat prescriptions are still charged even when not ordered, this could lead to a significant financial drain on the NHS not to mention fraudulent.

What systems are in place to stop both the repeat prescription and the associated charges? If the doctor isn’t aware that a patient has stopped using a prescribed treatment, how would they know to stop the prescription and the charges?☹️

I wonder if that's why they changed the system - My mum used to get her prescription auto-renewed by the pharmacist, but now they have to e-mail the doctor every month to re-order (And by e-mail the doctor, I mean *I* have to e-mail the doctor as my parents are very technophobic :laugh: )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I wonder if that's why they changed the system - My mum used to get her prescription auto-renewed by the pharmacist, but now they have to e-mail the doctor every month to re-order (And by e-mail the doctor, I mean *I* have to e-mail the doctor as my parents are very technophobic :laugh: )

The solution to that is to tell the doctor your parents cannot be relied upon to dispense their own pills from the packaging. The doc will then order them prepared in a daily pop out thing. The pharmacy do that and the prescriptions go on auto repeat.

• Like 1

As long as I get my prescription before the next full moon, I’m happy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well yes, I have a lot of problems with prescriptions too, given 4x the script of one med I have lots of due to it being wrong every time.

And denied another that I do need more of ( lifesaving) , but I don't have the breath or energy to argue anymore.

But on a brighter note in the grumpy old men theme, I had a new boiler fitted today.

The old one when looked at was rotten as a pear,been leaking internally for years apparently, acidic condensate ate away most of the metal inside and important joints.

So, Mon this week, charged up an old phone of mine when the boiler started popping on ignition, with increasingly loud bangs,to find my old plumber's number.

So having been increasingly disappointed with the lack of skill and honesty of various tradesmen recently, it was very encouraging to have someone turn up when they said they would on weds, and fit today.

I was getting very worried about no heating with autumn/winter nearly on us, with difficulty breathing in the cold.

It was good to catch up with him, and find he is still the same, honest, brilliant tradesman who knows his trade inside out that he always was.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

So having been increasingly disappointed with the lack of skill and honesty of various tradesmen recently, it was very encouraging to have someone turn up when they said they would on weds, and fit today.

It was good to catch up with him, and find he is still the same, honest, brilliant tradesman who knows his trade inside out that he always was.

Now there's a recurring theme for us grumpy old 'uns 👍.

Really pleased to hear that it's all sorted and that there are some good 'uns out there.

• Like 2

You know what makes me grumpy?

self service checkouts, why should I put a shift in scanning and packing my own stuff for it inevitably to announce “ surprise item in the bagging area” !!, if it were a thermo nuclear device then I could understand,but carrots!!, then Sandra has to come over to clear the surprise, no, she’s not a bomb disposal expert, only for it to happen again moments later, but, as I watch the people in the few manned checkout briskly going through, I’m happy in the knowledge that I have saved time…NOT! more like saved the company money by getting rid of the checkout operators grrrr…

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links