Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris on Motorway

ninanina

26 minutes ago, Yaris_Cross said:

You didn't answer the question - 

Would you let a water pump or belt tensioner go to 180,000 miles without a change?

Your question was in two parts, I answered the first part to the best of my ability 

Now (if I must) the second part, the short answer is no  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tommy X said:

Your question was in two parts, I answered the first part to the best of my ability 

The OP asked if choosing a Skoda was a bad idea i pointed out they need a belt change at 50,000 you gave proof that was wrong and its now 180,000 looking round several sites it would appear the general advice is to get the pump changed at 5 years or 60,000 - 80,000 miles you are going to change the belt and tensioner at the same time so my original answer is still relevant  you will need to change it at 50,000 miles or you start to risk destroying your engine, my view is chain is best.

I’ve been tempted by a Skoda Fabia/Kamiq DSG

Please tell me this is a bad idea…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yaris_Cross said:

The OP asked if choosing a Skoda was a bad idea i pointed out they need a belt change at 50,000 you gave proof that was wrong and its now 180,000 looking round several sites it would appear the general advice is to get the pump changed at 5 years or 60,000 - 80,000 miles you are going to change the belt and tensioner at the same time so my original answer is still relevant  you will need to change it at 50,000 miles or you start to risk destroying your engine, my view is chain is best.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2024 at 2:35 PM, ninanina said:

Now I’ve read some horror stories about Skoda dealers, especially my local one I’m put off 

Also read that once the VAG group cars get older and are out of warranty there are huge problems and expense.  I reckon they are perfectly ok while they are under warranty and for those people that change their cars every 3-5 years

I keep my cars for years and the next car may well be my last so I just need something ultra reliable 

So I’m back to Toyota.  My local dealers are just lovely and I want to stick with them so back to Yaris/Yaris Cross or C-HR

My concern with the Yaris/YC is the small battery as I only do very local trips these days with the occasional motorway drive every few months. The C-HR has a bigger battery so hopefully it won’t be so much of an issue 

I am wondering if I use a 20w solar battery maintainer whether that might work well with all three cars to keep them topped up when it’s not used, which can be a few days, and/or just local trips 

Have (recently) had Audi/VW/Skoda cars in the household and am pretty positive on them all. The VW Passat was 'written off' due to a coming together with a wild boar - (not a terribly interesting story) - but was a bullet-proof diesel and lasted me 10 years and 170,000 miles, all over the place, before said demise.

The Audi was an A3 - quite a bit older, lower mileage but awfully underpowered.

The Skoda Citigo - excellent car - 10 years old, lower mileage, 65-70 mpg, zero road tax and cheap to insure. It has taken me across northern Europe, but is breathless and just not of this time so one can never be sure that a car brand is all good, or all bad. 

I'm upgrading the Citigo to a new Yaris PE as I'm wanting more up-to-date technology with a hybrid* and a better ride. I also want something to give me a more poke on the motorway, as I am expecting to use these more.

I really can't wait!

*have a Honda hybrid in the household, so reasonably aware of the difference in driving style needed (I just wish the wife was...🙄 (plausible deniability??))

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links