Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Jump-starters are people using?

Corolly Poly

Having developed an unhealthy paranoia about coming back from holiday to a dead car I have been looking at getting a jump-starter to keep in the boot.

The Noco GB20 looks like it will do the job at a fair price but interested to hear what others are using.

Thanks

CP

• Like 1

Never owned one. I do have a modern Battery charger, I bought it to keep the Battery on my GT86 happy over Xmas. I've not put it on the Corolla yet though.

• Like 2

I have the Noco GB40 and have had to use it once on the Corolla I had, although I hasten to add that it was my own fault, not the cars! As far as I am aware, the GB20 should be adequate.

• Like 3

Got this from Aldi, 30 quid . Fits nicely in the glovebox. Made a fly lead so I can plug the tyre inflator to it, great buy. 

Screenshot_20240302_143436_ALDI UK.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I also have the GB40. I’ve been caught out a few times cleaning the car and have either left the doors open or had the radio on for too long. Halfords usually have some good deals on. Great bit of kit

• Like 2

A small one is fine for a hybrid because the power demand on the 12v Battery is very low compared to a traditional vehicle that needs to operate a 12v starter motor to get going.

A little tip I've learned from experience when it comes to cleaning: The interior lights will time out after 20 minutes  to save the Battery as long as you don't reset the timer by opening or closing any doors, including the tailgate. So, for doing the hoovering & window cleaning etc without a charger to hand, open everything at the start and keep it like that until finished. Even better, switch off the cabin lights using the buttons near the mirror (don't think that works for the boot, though).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

A small one is fine for a hybrid because the power demand on the 12v battery is very low compared to a traditional vehicle that needs to operate a 12v starter motor to get going.

A little tip I've learned from experience when it comes to cleaning: The interior lights will time out after 20 minutes  to save the battery as long as you don't reset the timer by opening or closing any doors, including the tailgate. So, for doing the hoovering & window cleaning etc without a charger to hand, open everything at the start and keep it like that until finished. Even better, switch off the cabin lights using the buttons near the mirror (don't think that works for the boot, though).

Yeah, do the same. I fitted an on/off switch for the boot light as well. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Corolla Mike. said:

Got this from Aldi, 30 quid . Fits nicely in the glovebox. Made a fly lead so I can plug the tyre inflator to it, great buy. 

No longer available but will keep eye out for similar in Aldi/Lidl middle aisle

• Like 1

I have one of these that I picked up the other year when it was on offer.

Autowit Supercap2 Jump Starter - autowit

Starts Tonero counter balance no problem - also safe to use on Toyota hybrids as well. 

• Like 1

... another for the Noco GB40

23 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

A small one is fine for a hybrid because the power demand on the 12v battery is very low compared to a traditional vehicle that needs to operate a 12v starter motor to get going.

A little tip I've learned from experience when it comes to cleaning: The interior lights will time out after 20 minutes  to save the battery as long as you don't reset the timer by opening or closing any doors, including the tailgate. So, for doing the hoovering & window cleaning etc without a charger to hand, open everything at the start and keep it like that until finished. Even better, switch off the cabin lights using the buttons near the mirror (don't think that works for the boot, though).

A lot of faff if you ask me. If you're cleaning the car, its much better to put it into ready mode and let the car look after the Battery, this is also recommended by toyota. If you switch off the climate control the Battery lasts a long time before the engine needs to kick in to recharge it. It means you don't need to worry at all about the Battery.

Even if you open everything at the start like you say, there is still a power drain due to the keyless system communicating with the key and the brake servo being primed.

Remember you want to try and keep the battery healthy to prolong its life. If you do what you have suggested there is still a risk of discharging the battery to the point where it may damage some of the cells. That can happen long before you actually need to use the jump starter pack.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chainbreaker said:

Remember you want to try and keep the battery healthy to prolong its life. If you do what you have suggested there is still a risk of discharging the battery to the point where it may damage some of the cells. That can happen long before you actually need to use the jump starter pack.

Understood. I do try look after the battery; I actually use a CTEK charger that I've owned for many years and I have a compatible connector fitted on the car, so there's genuinely no point in starting it, in my case. Without a charger, my preference would be to warm it up fully with a short drive before doing any sitting idle in ready. I'm not at all saying that's necessary or achieves anything, it's just my personal preference and my way of showing the engine some love instead of just the 12v Battery. 🙂

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chainbreaker said:

A lot of faff if you ask me. If you're cleaning the car, its much better to put it into ready mode and let the car look after the battery, this is also recommended by toyota. If you switch off the climate control the battery lasts a long time before the engine needs to kick in to recharge it. It means you don't need to worry at all about the battery.

Even if you open everything at the start like you say, there is still a power drain due to the keyless system communicating with the key and the brake servo being primed.

I get this and although I trust the guy who valets the car I would not be happy to leave the key in the vehicle in ready mode whilst he spends 2-3 hours cleaning it. Will it stay in ready mode if the key remains within a certain range?

One tip on ready mode, if you are about to go holiday or leave the car without use for a couple of weeks 2-3 or more, when keeping in ready mode to recharge the 12v Battery keep your hvac ON with AC on. 
If you switch these off to prevent unnecessary engine kick in you may turn off your car afterwards with low soc of the hybrid Battery (38-40%).  
In most cases not a problem, however after few weeks of inactivity it may be an issue to start the engine afterwards.  It is same when you arrive at your destination and hybrid Battery is low, the engine kicks in and you don’t wait to finish recharge the battery but cut it off and turn off the car.
Best practice is to leave the car finish its charging the hybrid battery then turn it off.  Doing so is a reassuring feeling you have 50% soc in your hybrid battery 🔋 and ok to leave it inactive for long time. 👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

I get this and although I trust the guy who valets the car I would not be happy to leave the key in the vehicle in ready mode whilst he spends 2-3 hours cleaning it. Will it stay in ready mode if the key remains within a certain range?

it will but 2-3 hours it’s too long. 
The hybrid system needs about an hour to fully charge the 12v Battery, after that it will reduce charging level to trickle charge just to maintain it. You will be wasting energy and creat unnecessary heat. 👍

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

it will but 2-3 hours it’s too long. 
The hybrid system needs about an hour to fully charge the 12v battery, after that it will reduce charging level to trickle charge just to maintain it. You will be wasting energy and creat unnecessary heat. 👍

Thanks. so I can still leave in ready mode for an hour or so whilst he cleans it and have the key in the house?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corolly Poly said:

Thanks. so I can still leave in ready mode for an hour or so whilst he cleans it and have the key in the house?

That’s right . There will be some warning on dashboard ⚠️ Key not detected message and every time open and closes any door will be with a beep, or at least previous generations does that beeps. 👍

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s right . There will be some warning on dashboard ⚠️ Key not detected message and every time open and closes any door will be with a beep, or at least previous generations does that beeps. 👍

Thanks, that's useful and interesting. I am surprised that someone could possibly drive away once in ready mode without having a key onboard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

One tip on ready mode, if you are about to go holiday or leave the car without use for a couple of weeks 2-3 or more, when keeping in ready mode to recharge the 12v battery keep your hvac ON with AC on. 
If you switch these off to prevent unnecessary engine kick in you may turn off your car afterwards with low soc of the hybrid battery (38-40%).  
In most cases not a problem, however after few weeks of inactivity it may be an issue to start the engine afterwards.  It is same when you arrive at your destination and hybrid battery is low, the engine kicks in and you don’t wait to finish recharge the battery but cut it off and turn off the car.
Best practice is to leave the car finish its charging the hybrid battery then turn it off.  Doing so is a reassuring feeling you have 50% soc in your hybrid battery 🔋 and ok to leave it inactive for long time. 👌

Good to know, further to this there is a feature that Toyota have included on the facelift models that helps with this. The sat nav will learn the routes you usually take every day (commuting to work, going to the shops etc) and will use that to make sure the Battery has a reasonable amount of charge when you get to your destination. Not sure if it does it on a route that you programme into the sat nav however.

Have found I always have at least 75% Battery when I get home. Neat feature that Toyota don't seem to make a big deal about.

• Like 2

Never had a charger, and never have had any issues with the Battery even after leaving the car on an airport parking for over 2 weeks. I always use sport mode for 10ish minutes before I stop, if I'll be leaving the car parked for awhile. This way I park it with enough juice in the hybrid Battery to start the car even after 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be worried about 2 weeks and have left it that long before but 4-6 week trips abroad worry me.

• Like 1

I was away for 24 days a couple of months ago and I was so convinced that I would be coming home to a dead car (Battery now nearly 5 years old) that I researched what I would replace the Battery with and where I would buy it locally.  But it started OK!  I had previously left it for 2 weeks a few times with no problem.

• Like 6

2019 doesn't have to constantly phone home. The less "connected services" the better!

• Like 1

On 8/18/2024 at 9:37 PM, Corolla Mike. said:

ALDI stuff is great. They are TÜV tested too

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links