Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I drove the new Toyota Prius PHEV

TomToyota94

Hey everyone,

I drove the new Prius this week, apparently it is only available as a PHEV. The one I test drove was an Excel in Scarlet Flare (so over £40k list).

I really like new appearance and the Prius has these little 'easter eggs' throughout the car, which is a fun game to try find them all. I did think the boot space is a little bit smaller than the outgoing model (however I am not sure if this is just me).

Ps sorry for the wet photos, it was a typical Scottish summer on the day I drove it around Helensburgh.

prius PH.jpg

• Like 5

Rear of the new Prius (Excel trim)

prius LinkedIn.jpg

• Like 5

Has anyone else driven the new Prius? I’d like to hear any opinions good or bad, please.

• Like 2

Paul john has - 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Has anyone else driven the new Prius? I’d like to hear any opinions good or bad, please.

If you are seriously interested best is to book a test drive and try the car in person. 
The new Prius looks good indeed, definitely drives well however lack of practicality and space. In USA where been on sale over a year now some owners are returning it in exchange for Corolla or Camry. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

I took a test drive a couple of weeks ago and liked it so much that I'm taking delivery of my Excel Lunar Shadow next Sunday....74 plate.

As long as the boot can take my golf bag and trolley it's big enough for me and I'm pretty sure it will. With the back seats down there's lots of space for a trip to the tip. Kids are off our hands so I don't need a huge boot.

I'll give a bit more feedback once I've had the car for a couple of weeks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

I must say, its a good drive. Very quick, especially in sport mode. The face recognition system surprised me and told me to “sit up” as i was obscuring the sensors with my hands at 11 to 1 lol.

turned off the rsa alert in 2 clicks so no noise or “bad sineage” only showing an orange icon of “did you know the rsa was turned off” 😂 i had one of those for the passenger air bag in my 2019 stating “on” or “off” both in orange, so not a thing of annoyance for me. 
boot is marginally higher, but not by much. 

i have the toyota oem parts list for a spare tyre installation (from the states) if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

Where does the spare tyre go?

I would be interested in any info you have. Thanks.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, aitcheff said:

Where does the spare tyre go?

I would be interested in any info you have. Thanks.

The “kit” replaces the existing polystyrene white inserts and tyre gunk kit and goes where you would expect a spare tyre to go ,under the boot floor. 
here is the install video and parts list:

Protector, Spare Wheel Carrier -- Part Number: 51978-47010 -- $33.04

Wheel, Disc -- Part Number: 42611-21280 -- $70.64

Box, Deck Floor, LH -- Part Number: 64997-47100 -- $86.95

Box, Deck Floor, RH -- Part Number: 64995-47080 --$141.74

Carrier, Spare Wheel, RH -- Part Number: 51931-10040-- $12.37

Protector, Spare Wheel -- Part Number: 64778-47090 -- $141.74

Flange Nut (Three) -- Part Number: 90178-A0132 -- $2.70

Box Set, jack -- Part Number: 09105-47020 -- $87.45

Subtotal $576.63

Discount (Haul in the Holidays Promotion) -$133.58

Shipping & Handling $47.09

Grand Total $490.14

Tire off Amazon:

T145/90D16 -- $99.00

$7 Dollars to have tire shop put spare tire on wheel and inflate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it's permitted in this forum can you post the oem parts list?

Just now, aitcheff said:

If it's permitted in this forum can you post the oem parts list?

Original post edited to include parts and install video. Sorry that the numbers are in $

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul John. But having had a quick look at the video he says that the Prime model... which I think is basically the same as the PHEV here in the UK...has its Battery in boot where this kit would go so the kit can't be used with the Prime model. So probably rules it out for me.

Pity because I much prefer a spare to a repair kit.

• Like 2

I had a look at the Prius but, since it became PHEV only, it seems quite an expensive car. I looked at some PCP examples and a Tesla model 3 was quite a lot cheaper (for the base model, not the AWD). I wouldn't want to spend so much and then still have to rely on an engine for decent range.

23 minutes ago, aitcheff said:

Thanks Paul John. But having had a quick look at the video he says that the Prime model... which I think is basically the same as the PHEV here in the UK...has its battery in boot where this kit would go so the kit can't be used with the Prime model. So probably rules it out for me.

Pity because I much prefer a spare to a repair kit.

The us prime 2023 is the uk phev

• Like 1

I am a fan of this looks great. What isnt so great is the cost taking it to RAV territory! Whenever I retire in the future (still 1.5 decades to go!) Its something I would downsize into when there are just the two of us.

• Like 3

I borrowed a Prius from the dealer for a day and a half and absolutely loved it - also thought the price was great in my view, really good direct feel with some decent pep and lovely responsiveness, boot is fine for what would be a two seater. Decided to buy one until my wife revealed she didn't feel safe in it. So many years of being used to SUVs has had its effect on perceptions. So I'll be awaiting the new RAV then.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If I had one I’d want the AWD version but I don’t believe they do it here.  

• Like 1

If they sell very well they might be less cautious and introduce more models, but I haven't seen a single Prius PHEV on the road yet and I think that might be the final nail in the coffin for it n the UK :sad: 

(I'm hoping it just isn't actually out here yet because if it is, it has flopped hard, and Toyota UK will never take another risk like that again if all that interest in it turns out to be false :sad: )

seen 1 in a dealer, nice car but it's £7k more than a Corolla & a Corolla (certainly TS) is probably more practical for most.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

(I'm hoping it just isn't actually out here yet because if it is, it has flopped hard, and Toyota UK will never take another risk like that again if all that interest in it turns out to be false :sad: )

I suspect a lot of the interest disappeared when Toyota UK set the price at £37,300 for the base model. There's a growing number of full, long range EVs which can be bought brand new for less than that - Volvo EX30, the Kia EV3, basic Skoda Enyaq. There's pre-reg BZ4x on Autotrader for less than the Prius list price. 

• Like 1

If I was after a Corolla-sized car I'd totally get one as I like the idea of a fairly quick agile PHEV that isn't the size of a bus (And I could steal electricity from work :naughty: ). The electric part would do well for my urban death-crawls, while the engine would get a good workout on the fun A-road/motorway parts, but alas the city use makes a small agile car essential for me (Those phone zombies won't dodge themselves, and also I get so Kryten Smug Mode every time a tailgating SUV behind me is forced to stop because it can't fit through the gap I've just gone through :biggrin: )

I'd love a PHEV Yaris but smeg knows how they'd make such a thing without a massive breakthrough in Battery tech. I suppose they could do it to the Yaris Cross, but that's no use to me...

TBH though, unless there is a sudden outbreak of sanity with the powers that be, I think this is the last car I will get - I already dislike the ADAS systems in my Mk4 immensely and find them more distracting and dangerous than what little improvement they make to my safety; With newer cars being mandated with ever increasingly invasive ADAS systems that unilaterally take control away from the driver or distract with yet more inexplicable beeps and buzzes, I don't think I could cope. Unless someone sane sees common sense and dials it back, or at least mandates there be a big red OVERRIDE button or something I can punch when it's trying to kill me (Which it does frequently! :eek: ), I just don't think I could deal with what's to come in the next rounds of legislation...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links