Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turning off TPMS

182_blue

Can the dealers turn of the TPMS, It doing my head in on my wife's car, every time the temp drops the sensors go off so I need to reset which seems to take forever due to having to drive upto a certain speed etc, so just wondered if the dealer can turn the warning/system off. 

• Confused 1

Hi Shaun,No, dealers can’t legally turn off the TPMS as it’s a safety feature. To avoid constant alerts, try regularly checking tyre pressure, especially when it’s cold. Make sure you’re resetting the system correctly, as per the manual. If the alerts persist, the sensors might need recalibration or replacement, which the dealer can help you with.🙂

• Like 2

Perhaps one way to negate this is to do the reset then add a few psi after. Haven't encountered regular problem on this for my cars, though I set tyre pressure 2-4 psi higher.

• Like 2

First of all: Never, ever, reset a tyre pressure warning without adjusting all four pressures first so that they're all spot on, or you'll have no end of problems. The system is telling you there's been a change and you need to react to that for safety reasons. Set them all by the book and with the tyres cold (i.e. after it's been standing a couple of hours).

Something is wrong here. I can leave my tyres alone for months without getting a TPMS warning, except maybe once a year if the weather turns after I've been neglecting them for a while. On older cars, a bit of pressure loss every few weeks is to be expected - the tyre fitter will tend to scrape coating off the inner rim with the pry bar when doing a replacement, leading to corrosion and small leaks. On a new car, it shouldn't be happening. Get the pressures right, reset the TPMS, and then start checking your pressures every couple of days until the actual problem is revealed.

• Like 3

Set the alert pressure to be around 28psi if tyres are normally set at 32psi (this is an option on 2024 models where you can choose an alert pressure)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

First of all: Never, ever, reset a tyre pressure warning without adjusting all four pressures first so that they're all spot on, or you'll have no end of problems. The system is telling you there's been a change and you need to react to that for safety reasons. Set them all by the book and with the tyres cold (i.e. after it's been standing a couple of hours).

Something is wrong here. I can leave my tyres alone for months without getting a TPMS warning, except maybe once a year if the weather turns after I've been neglecting them for a while. On older cars, a bit of pressure loss every few weeks is to be expected - the tyre fitter will tend to scrape coating off the inner rim with the pry bar when doing a replacement, leading to corrosion and small leaks. On a new car, it shouldn't be happening. Get the pressures right, reset the TPMS, and then start checking your pressures every couple of days until the actual problem is revealed.

Well the issue we have is when the temperature drops overnight, when my wife drive away she gets a warning, as the tyres warm up sometimes the warning goes away and sometimes it doesn't (I guess if the temperature in the day goes up), I must point out this only happens when we head into winter etc and when checked the pressures are as they should be and no tyre has gone down more than the other side! 

They seem ridiculously sensative to the cold, my old Rav4 did similar but was easier to reset. 

I

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Perhaps one way to negate this is to do the reset then add a few psi after. Haven't encountered regular problem on this for my cars, though I set tyre pressure 2-4 psi higher.

Seems like a good plan. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 182_blue said:

Well the issue we have is when the temperature drops overnight, when my wife drive away she gets a warning, as the tyres warm up sometimes the warning goes away and sometimes it doesn't (I guess if the temperature in the day goes up), I must point out this only happens when we head into winter etc and when checked the pressures are as they should be and no tyre has gone down more than the other side! 

They seem ridiculously sensative to the cold, my old Rav4 did similar but was easier to reset. 

I

Its basic physics. 
when the tyres warm up they can gain up to 4psi.

on cold days (i sympathise with you as my mate lives in north yorkshire and was complaining about the northern “summer” this year)  the tyre pressure could drop by 4psi

so if you set the pressure on a relatively warm day and drive for a little to enable this you could potentially introduce an 8psi difference when cold. This will set off the warning as it is outside the tollerance.

if you set the tyre pressure on the cold day it will set a median that the sensor would tollerate…

• Like 2

This is fairly simple to fix - Just wait for a cold morning (Or winter) and/or maybe drop the tyres a few PSI, then reset the TPWS to that level, inflate the tyres back up, and you won't have a problem.

But this is a good illustration of a greater and common problem - The first instinct is to disable the system completely rather than just fix the problem it's warning about :laugh: 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 182_blue said:

just wondered if the dealer can turn the warning/system off. 

On cars first registered after 1st January 2012, TPMS is included within the MOT. If the TPMS is not working properly or at all, it will result in a major fault and an automatic MOT failure.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cyker said:

This is fairly simple to fix - Just wait for a cold morning (Or winter) and/or maybe drop the tyres a few PSI, then reset the TPWS to that level, inflate the tyres back up, and you won't have a problem.

But this is a good illustration of a greater and common problem - The first instinct is to disable the system completely rather than just fix the problem it's warning about :laugh: 

I just tried dropping the pressure and reseting the TPMS then adding pressure, cars got another tyre warning and been for a drive to get the numbers on the main screen but they won't appear so I have just given up after 20 mins or so wasting petrol. 

For reference my first instinct wasn't to disable it, we have had the car coming upto three years and just had that brainwave now so my wife doesn't get stressed she's got a flat. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Its basic physics. 
when the tyres warm up they can gain up to 4psi.

on cold days (i sympathise with you as my mate lives in north yorkshire and was complaining about the northern “summer” this year)  the tyre pressure could drop by 4psi

so if you set the pressure on a relatively warm day and drive for a little to enable this you could potentially introduce an 8psi difference when cold. This will set off the warning as it is outside the tollerance.

if you set the tyre pressure on the cold day it will set a median that the sensor would tollerate…

Oh I understand the physics of it just not sure why this cars so sensitive to it, do the TPMS read over pressure as well as under pressure?. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 182_blue said:

Oh I understand the physics of it just not sure why this cars so sensitive to it, do the TPMS read over pressure as well as under pressure?. 

Only under pressure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 182_blue said:

just tried dropping the pressure and reseting the TPMS

You don't say which model this is, but it sounds to me that you aren't actually re-setting the alarm points, just resetting the the alarm.

Can you tell us which car it is and in detail what you are actually doing?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

You don't say which model this is, but it sounds to me that you aren't actually re-setting the alarm points, just resetting the the alarm.

Can you tell us which car it is and in detail what you are actually doing?

Its a yaris cross, the only option on the car is to reset the TPMS, there no other options to reset alarms etc? 

• Like 1

i just lowered all 4 of them to be 4 psi below what they are meant to be. set the pressure in the car then inflated them to how they should be on my wifes X

She had the same issue if the temp drops in the night and she sets of early in morning it will beep. They seem to beep when its about a 2psi drop which to me seems silly. Since doing this not had an issue.

Then just give the tyres the well know way of checking them a KICK every now and then it will be fine. 😆

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, MardyMarvin said:

i just lowered all 4 of them to be 4 psi below what they are meant to be. set the pressure in the car then inflated them to how they should be on my wifes X

She had the same issue if the temp drops in the night and she sets of early in morning it will beep. They seem to beep when its about a 2psi drop which to me seems silly. Since doing this not had an issue.

Then just give the tyres the well know way of checking them a KICK every now and then it will be fine. 😆

I have tried this but it really didn't like it, did your main info screen have the pressures displayed as I didn't check that, mind you I have took it for a 29 minute drive and they still haven't showed up!. 

• Sad 1

Either your sensors are defective, your tyres are or your valves are. I've had my Corolla for over five years and it's alerted me only once on a very cold day - and it was right.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Either your sensors are defective, your tyres are or your valves are. I've had my Corolla for over five years and it's alerted me only once on a very cold day - and it was right.

Your car is different though or do you have a Yaris cross too? 

35 minutes ago, 182_blue said:

I have tried this but it really didn't like it, did your main info screen have the pressures displayed as I didn't check that, mind you I have took it for a 29 minute drive and they still haven't showed up!. 

I did it on the wifes X and they are displayed on the Dash did not think about looking in the infotainment system or even if they would be there. Since all the resetting is done on the dash I just looked there. I Went for a 10 min drive before they showed up again with pressures

• Like 2

Just now, MardyMarvin said:

I did it on the wifes X and they are displayed on the Dash did not think about looking in the infotainment system or even if they would be there. Since all the resetting is done on the dash I just looked there. I Went for a 10 min drive before they showed up again with pressures

OK, I need to try it again after the pressures show back up. 

Hmm that's a bit weird... If there is a lot of traffic and/or the road is uneven, that can make the system struggle to reinitialize them.

Ideally you want a smooth road, mostly straight with no speed humps, potholes, crossings or traffic lights preferably, that you can cruise on at 30+. 

Just to check, are you holding OK on Pressure Setting until the light blinks?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Hmm that's a bit weird... If there is a lot of traffic and/or the road is uneven, that can make the system struggle to reinitialize them.

Ideally you want a smooth road, mostly straight with no speed humps, potholes, crossings or traffic lights preferably, that you can cruise on at 30+. 

Well it did reset this morning OK after a short drive, tried it later after resetting and the figures haven't come back yet, she's going to drive it to work and see if that resets it as I don't want to waste anymore time or petrol. 

Oh and yes press and hold the button, assume you mean the tyre image to blink. 

• Like 2

Yup, sounds good! It's a bit weird, I wonder if there's some sort of radio interference nearby or on the route that's affecting them.

When you first get in the car, how long roughly does it normally take for the TPMS pressures to appear? Mine take about a minute or two from when I start moving usually.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

O that would be nice, No Potholes, No speed bumps and smooth roads this must be some kind of utopian world that my sat nav does not have programmed in 🤣

• Haha 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links