Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turning off TPMS

182_blue

Totally off topic, but are you the same 182_blue from the Mk5 GTI forum?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

Totally off topic, but are you the same 182_blue from the Mk5 GTI forum?

Most probably, I had an edition 30, then a scirocco R then Golf R, then Tiguan R, back when you could. VCDS those things 😂, I seem to remember your name also or am I imagining that?. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Paul john said:

Only under pressure

Hmmm, that's what I thought, until last week: I had a tyre replaced on my wife's car because the last surviving original had picked up dry rot after 9 years (she doesn't drive very far). After returning from the tyre fitter, I neglected to adjust the pressure correctly myself and, a day later, she got a TPMS alert, asking for a reset. Her 3 existing tyres were  all spot-on for pressure, but the new tyre had been over-inflated by 6 psi. I dropped it back to book pressure (which is where I always do the reset) but the warning would not clear itself, it insisted on being reset again. Now, I'm using the example of a Fiat here, not a Toyota but, the point is, fitting an over-inflated tyre did indeed cause an issue. This is another car that generally goes round the calendar without needing a reset, unless there's really a problem.

I know this is not the same as if all of the pressures had risen together but it was just to point out that there's more to it than simply maintaining 4 readings above minimum.

28 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Hmmm, that's what I thought, until last week: I had a tyre replaced on my wife's car because the last surviving original had picked up dry rot after 9 years (she doesn't drive very far). After returning from the tyre fitter, I neglected to adjust the pressure correctly myself and, a day later, she got a TPMS alert, asking for a reset. Her 3 existing tyres were  all spot-on for pressure, but the new tyre had been over-inflated by 6 psi. I dropped it back to book pressure (which is where I always do the reset) but the warning would not clear itself, it insisted on being reset again. Now, I'm using the example of a Fiat here, not a Toyota but, the point is, fitting an over-inflated tyre did indeed cause an issue. This is another car that generally goes round the calendar without needing a reset, unless there's really a problem.

I know this is not the same as if all of the pressures had risen together but it was just to point out that there's more to it than simply maintaining 4 readings above minimum.

Well this quote from the Bridgestone website definitely says “lower”

<Sensors in a direct TPMS may even provide tire temperature readings. The direct tire pressure monitoring system sends all of this data to a centralized control module where it’s analyzed, interpreted, and, if tire pressure is lower than it should be, transmitted directly to your dashboard where the indicator light illuminates.>

Perhaps the guy who changed the tyre reset the system and it “interpreted” that the higher pressure tyre was the norm and was reporting an under-inflate on the remaining 3.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 182_blue said:

Your car is different though or do you have a Yaris cross too? 

They're all Toyotas, but some are different, yes. For example, my Corolla is not fussed about making sure a certain sensor stays in the same position on the car so that it can display the pressure on the screen. On mine, a sensor is a sensor and that's fine as long as it keeps the pressure it was set at. People who rotate their tyres like Americans like that because there's no hassle involved with swapping wheels around. The downside is no display showing what the sensors are reading and it can't tell you which wheel is the problem when one of them is out. Other models can show an actual pressure inside the car, but that's only for comparison. The actual checking of the pressures and setting them up ready for a reset must always be done at the valves with a real gauge.

30 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Well this quote from the Bridgestone website definitely says “lower”

<Sensors in a direct TPMS may even provide tire temperature readings. The direct tire pressure monitoring system sends all of this data to a centralized control module where it’s analyzed, interpreted, and, if tire pressure is lower than it should be, transmitted directly to your dashboard where the indicator light illuminates.>

Perhaps the guy who changed the tyre reset the system and it “interpreted” that the higher pressure tyre was the norm and was reporting an under-inflate on the remaining 3.

I'm pretty certain the tyre fitter would not have messed with the car at all, he would have just guess at roughly the right pressure and stuck it on the car, but I can't guarantee anything.

I don't think Bridgestone design such systems, I think they concentrate on the tyres themselves and leave that side up to the electronic manufacturers, so possibly not the best authority. However, they are right about the readings often being temperature-compensated. That's why the owner must adjust them using a real gauge and not the readings on the display. It's also why they shouldn't be over-sensitive to weather changes, which is exactly what my experience has been. I'm talking about 6 different vehicles I've kept (one is a bike) that have had TPMS with sensors, so I'm hardly the expert, but I can honestly say I've never had much trouble at all with my small sample pool. Setting them by the book and the gauge has always done the trick for me.

14 hours ago, 182_blue said:

It's different but it's the same make so I imagine the TPWS is the same.

55 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

It's different but it's the same make so I imagine the TPWS is the same.

You cant assume they are the same just because you have a Toyota. TPMS there are two main systems "Indirect Monitoring" and "Direct Monitoring" with Direct being the most accurate one that can feed back each individual tyre. But then within those two systems they can have subtle differences as well on sensitivity etc. This is why I assume some TPMS systems cost not much to replace but others cost hundreds to replace.

All I can say is that my wife has a Cross Yaris and I have the Normal Yaris. Both of ours have complained once or twice when its been a colder morning then you would expect for the time of year. Then looking at what tyre it was and the pressure reported it had dropped 2 or 3 psi. But then in the afternoon when it was warmer and more in line with time of year there was no warning as the tyres had gone back to the normal pressure.

So Perhaps on some Toyota models the onboard logic is a little more sensitive and different to other models of Toyota.

• Like 4

We've just gone from a period of relatively warm overnight temperatures to normal overnight temps. I set the "cold" pressures when they were 16°c 1st thing in the morning. In the next month or so, I expect the overnight temps to be nearer 5°c so the tyre pressures will all need increasing soon, to compensate. Later in the year, they'll need resetting again when the overnight temperatures fall to around freezing or less.

2 hours ago, MardyMarvin said:

You cant assume they are the same just because you have a Toyota. TPMS there are two main systems "Indirect Monitoring" and "Direct Monitoring" with Direct being the most accurate one that can feed back each individual tyre. But then within those two systems they can have subtle differences as well on sensitivity etc. This is why I assume some TPMS systems cost not much to replace but others cost hundreds to replace.

All I can say is that my wife has a Cross Yaris and I have the Normal Yaris. Both of ours have complained once or twice when its been a colder morning then you would expect for the time of year. Then looking at what tyre it was and the pressure reported it had dropped 2 or 3 psi. But then in the afternoon when it was warmer and more in line with time of year there was no warning as the tyres had gone back to the normal pressure.

So Perhaps on some Toyota models the onboard logic is a little more sensitive and different to other models of Toyota.

Yeh I had a Rav4 and both acted differently, the Cross being far more sensitive than the RAV, we had the previous RAV too and a Verso and I don't recall either of those ever going off?. 

It's obviously come to Toyota's attention as they changed it on 2024 cars so you can set the parameters. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 182_blue said:

There are only 2 types of TPMS, the type that uses the ABS sensors and the type that uses valve sensors. The systems are common across all brands but there are differences in resetting after inflating tyres.

Since 2005 every new car we have bought has had TPMS and during that time we have had two activations First was a screw in the tyre and it had lost about 4 PSI. Had tyre repaired but on a Nissan no need to reset. Second was first time out on winter tyres after refitting them and simply did not check pressures, one tyre was about 3 PSI down, inflated tyre at next garage and reset system (Skoda).

Also had an activation in a service loan car, one tyre was down about 10 PSI, inflated it at the next garage and reset system (Mini).

Of the current UK range, only the Proace Verso has the indirect system (ABS). The others have the direct system (valve sensors).

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/how-does-tpms-work/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skidlid said:

There are only 2 types of TPMS, the type that uses the ABS sensors and the type that uses valve sensors. The systems are common across all brands but there are differences in resetting after inflating tyres.

Since 2005 every new car we have bought has had TPMS and during that time we have had two activations First was a screw in the tyre and it had lost about 4 PSI. Had tyre repaired but on a Nissan no need to reset. Second was first time out on winter tyres after refitting them and simply did not check pressures, one tyre was about 3 PSI down, inflated tyre at next garage and reset system (Skoda).

Also had an activation in a service loan car, one tyre was down about 10 PSI, inflated it at the next garage and reset system (Mini).

Yeh I get the two systems but they all probably run different software with different parameters, we had the RAV on the drive and the Cross, cross would react to the colder weather far more than the RAV ever did, anyway seems like the answer is to keep resetting the system at different temperatures!.

I would prefer to set the system myself and have a larger parameter before it  alarmed that way she won't panic she has a real puncture. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 8:19 PM, 182_blue said:

Most probably, I had an edition 30, then a scirocco R then Golf R, then Tiguan R, back when you could. VCDS those things 😂, I seem to remember your name also or am I imagining that?. 

Ah yes, I remember your scirocco & Ed30, I’m still a Mod on MK5GTI (GrayMK5GTI) , but rarely go on there these days. Small world eh! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Of the current UK range, only the Proace Verso has the indirect system (ABS). The others have the direct system (valve sensors).

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/how-does-tpms-work/

Some vehicles are capable of doing both. I used to have a F30 BMW that was supplied with pressure sensors, but I changed it to use rotation sensing instead through the laptop. I did it so that I could use a second set of wheels with winter tyres fitted.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 8:34 PM, Gray86 said:

Ah yes, I remember your scirocco & Ed30, I’m still a Mod on MK5GTI (GrayMK5GTI) , but rarely go on there these days. Small world eh! 

Yeh just a bit, last time I looked I think I was still a Mod on there too 😂, also weirdly whilst looking for something else I found this.. 

20240828_211136.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 9:36 PM, 182_blue said:

Yeh just a bit, last time I looked I think I was still a Mod on there too 😂, also weirdly whilst looking for something else I found this.. 

20240828_211136.jpg

Wow someone will want that! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links