Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New owner questions

ejap20

As the new owner of an approved used 2018 business edition (1.2 VVT) I’ve got three questions:

1. The stop/start doesn’t seem to work. The message on the dash says “battery charging.” This is even after a long motorway drive. I’ve checked the Battery with a multimeter and it’s 12.5V off and 14.2V at idle. Which seems healthy. Any ideas?

2. When I use the steering controls to change the info displayed between the Speedo and rev counter it always seems to reset to fuel consumption whenever I switch the car off and restart it. Is there  way of changing the default display or does it need changed each time you start the car? 

3. The windows seem to have an unusual one touch set up. On most cars I’d press down long and release and window would go all the way to the bottom. I’d press it again to stop it at the desired point. The Toyota seems to be having to 1/2 flick the switch in the up direction to get it to stop in the desired position? 

Aside from the above I like the car. It’s extremely comfortable and feels of good build quality. 

I have a 2010 Auris and the Stop/Start was flaky even from new. It could go several days without ever cutting in despite long runs and then it might work for several times in a row and then stop. Also be aware that lots of external factors effect the operation such as temperature and your heating/colling requirements in the cabin.

Fwiw when I replaced the Battery at 11 years old (and the old one still behaved as it always had but was down on capacity) I found the Stop Start works every time all the time and still does. 

I think the management of it is to cautious and the new Battery may have a slightly higher specific gravity and so have a slightly higher voltage (we're only talking hundred of millivolts though). Anyhow it works perfectly with the new one (now 3yrs old).

I'd have to be sat in the car (which is  different model anyway) to say for sure but I've feeling it behaves as you describe... so normal.

No idea on the display on that model. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stop start monitors state of Battery over a long period. 12.5v is on the low side after a long run. Should be nearer 13v when off. 14.2v at idle is the alternator charging voltage which is good.New Battery should fix it. Get it tested before swapping, just in case its caused by a drain on bettery eg aftermarket Dashcam etc.

My dash stays on chosen setting eg display speed, rather than reverting to average speed on each start. This could be related to your Battery if it drops below a certain voltage causing it to reset to default average speed settings on startup.

Window behaviour is normal, half click to adjust to position and full depth click for full auto close or open. Refer to manual.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t be worried about the stop start function, even if my car has that I will simply disable it and always keep it off. 
This was an option in early non hybrid variants but the savings of fuel and reduced emissions aren’t that great. It only added complexity into the start system and Battery , a higher Battery price and more complicated starters. 
All other strange things will clear of as you use the car will learn and adapt to it. Toyota and all other Japanese cars has similarities in between but they all are so slightly different from European cars, German, French for example.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Not fussed about stop/start as the only car I’ve had where it worked well was a Volvo. 

One other strange thing. The boot sometimes locks itself while I’m driving? Sometimes it doesn’t. Should it lock? Shouldn’t it? I don’t hear any of the doors locking. 

The boot should not lock/unlock whilst driving.

It may be an intermittent problem with the boot unlock switch or wiring short in the hatch loom. There is usually some sort of feedback switch in the latch or hatch to tell the ecu that its actually locked or not, or hatch is up or down, which could be faulty. Do search the forum as i do recall a similar complaint.

The sceanario the ecu is depicting is that it thinks somebody has opened and closed the hatch and it needs to auto lock the hatch latch until somebody next preses the hatch unlock button.

If your car is key start it could be a faulty 3rd button for the boot. Try using the spare key.

Hi !

My boot lock behaves like this : when I move the car then stop it with engine running and handbrake on, the boot is locked so I have to unlock it from the inside central locking switch. When I stop the car and switch off the engine, boot unlocks.

I think this is a protection against stoplight thieves.

Never encountered this feature/behaviour on my 2016 mk2 auris. Cant see it documented on the user manual either.

Thanks folks. The boot always unlocks fine with the key, I throw my stuff in, drive to work and upon arrival switch engine off, remove key and it’s 50/50 as to whether the boot will be locked or unlocked. It reopens fine with the key. 

Interesting that I’m not the only one.

I should probably give Toyota a call. Unfortunately the supplying dealer is 3hrs away so it’ll need to be a more local garage. 

• 1 month later...

Update 

Took the car to Toyota Glasgow. Findings:

1. Stop/start not functioning due to Battery health being only 30% and in need or urgent replacement (quote £278!) 

2. Boot issue - no fault found (still does it though) 

3. A squealing noise is likely caused by corrosion on front/rear brakes. It’s an advisory. 

Despite only having just bought the car (Approved Used) the dealer refused to waive the £150 “investigation fee.” 

After many phone calls I eventually got the supplying dealer to agree to cover the cost of the new Battery. However that was on a Friday afternoon. Macklin Toyota refused to fit said Battery until the money from the other dealer had actually landed in their account (hopefully Monday). Further needless inconvenience. 

Trying to get the supplying dealer to cover the £150 investigation fee too. Since the only reason I’ve been charged is is Toyota sold me a car with a near dead battery. 

Will be interesting to see if the boot lock and dash display issues clear up once a new car battery is installed. (Boot currently does not usually unlock when i switch engine off and remove key). 

• Like 2

For anyone with similar issues in future: the new Battery has fixed all three issues.

- stop/start now works (and very smoothly!) 

- screen between gauges doesn’t reset itself to the same 0mpg screen every time I restart the car. It remembers things now!

- boot no longer randomly locks 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links