Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris Cross Excel

Tim5000

Well, looks like my ticket has been called - after a couple of months on order, we get to pick up a pan roof MY24 Yaris Cross Excel in Titan Bronze on Sunday. 🤩

I haven't actually seen the Titan Bronze in the flesh but the pictures I've seen of other Yaris in various Bronze which I think look rather nice.

While the Excel was the one I honed in on quickly because I wanted "all the toys" I did consider the Premier only to find at the time the online configurator didn't allow a pan roof on it (this has subsequently been fixed so you can!). I did check with the dealer but they seemed to agree with what it was saying so the Excel it was to be.

The only thing the Premiere offered extra I would have considered was the engine - time will tell if the stock will be OK but on a test drive of both engines I didn't really notice much difference (especially as I was coming from an old manual diesel Ford Focus) so we'll have to see how that goes...

Re the other differences, I'd given the HUD a test and didn't like it personally, and I didn't think the JBL sound system will be a loss as I've previously done audio installs myself so if the stock is not adequate I will have a tinker later.

AFAIK there are no other major differences functionality wise that I've missed there...

Plus both were over my original budget anyway even with the car-wow discount I ended up using to negotiate with 🤣

I did also have a bit of dealer fun during the journey where it was definitely going to be a '74 plate - at least up until the point I put the deposit down.

From then on over the course of the journey I had a few different lines "sorry we can't hold it for insurance purposes" and "we're doing everything to get it to you quickly".

Fortunately I prevailed and I've just had the paperwork allocated for the new 74 plate reg 😃

From experience, how long does it all usually take to sort out the process at the dealer before driving off?

And also will I need to pre-nudge the dealer to fill the tank or is that pretty standard practise?

Thanks!

• Like 4

When I actually went in to pick up my car last year it just took a few hours, they were more concerned with getting the money as it was a cash sale and they insisted I ring the bank a few days before so as payment wasn’t declined, I love my excel, it just gets better as the miles go on, mine’s showing 68 mpg but I’ve hat 73 mpg on occasion, can you post some pics of your car as I also like the titan bronze…enjoy your car..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tim5000 said:

Well, looks like my ticket has been called - after a couple of months on order, we get to pick up a pan roof MY24 Yaris Cross Excel in Titan Bronze on Sunday. 🤩

I haven't actually seen the Titan Bronze in the flesh but the pictures I've seen of other Yaris in various Bronze which I think look rather nice.

While the Excel was the one I honed in on quickly because I wanted "all the toys" I did consider the Premier only to find at the time the online configurator didn't allow a pan roof on it (this has subsequently been fixed so you can!). I did check with the dealer but they seemed to agree with what it was saying so the Excel it was to be.

The only thing the Premiere offered extra I would have considered was the engine - time will tell if the stock will be OK but on a test drive of both engines I didn't really notice much difference (especially as I was coming from an old manual diesel Ford Focus) so we'll have to see how that goes...

Re the other differences, I'd given the HUD a test and didn't like it personally, and I didn't think the JBL sound system will be a loss as I've previously done audio installs myself so if the stock is not adequate I will have a tinker later.

AFAIK there are no other major differences functionality wise that I've missed there...

Plus both were over my original budget anyway even with the car-wow discount I ended up using to negotiate with 🤣

I did also have a bit of dealer fun during the journey where it was definitely going to be a '74 plate - at least up until the point I put the deposit down.

From then on over the course of the journey I had a few different lines "sorry we can't hold it for insurance purposes" and "we're doing everything to get it to you quickly".

Fortunately I prevailed and I've just had the paperwork allocated for the new 74 plate reg 😃

From experience, how long does it all usually take to sort out the process at the dealer before driving off?

And also will I need to pre-nudge the dealer to fill the tank or is that pretty standard practise?

Thanks!

You've missed out on lots of great features that are on the Premiere model...I came from the standard Excel, and think that the upgraded engine is well worth the difference in money. The engine is nippier, smoother and more frugal.

YC 24.JPG

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

You've missed out on lots of great features that are on the Premiere model

Can you elaborate what?

Colour looks great 👍 

30 minutes ago, Tim5000 said:

Can you elaborate what?

Colour looks great 👍 

It's all in the brochure...although it doesn't seem to mention...the extra front and rear under runs.

Were the rubbing strips dealer fitted or done by yourself 

9 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

It's all in the brochure...although it doesn't seem to mention...the extra front and rear under runs.

The under-runs are mentioned in the latest brochure (although an initial search took me to an older brochure): https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/brochure-downloads/Yaris-Cross-JUL-24-MY24.pdf

So they've been getting their act together updating the information 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tim5000 said:

Mine took about an 1 1/2 hours and that included me having to get insurance as the dealer neglected to tell me they no longer did drive away insurance. Been buying new cars every 2 to 3 years since 2004 and that’s the first time I’ve had to get my own insurance just so they could register and tax the car. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ralph H said:

Mine took about an 1 1/2 hours and that included me having to get insurance as the dealer neglected to tell me they no longer did drive away insurance. Been buying new cars every 2 to 3 years since 2004 and that’s the first time I’ve had to get my own insurance just so they could register and tax the car. 

Thanks - I guess that's just another thing that gets trimmed. I sorted out the insurance yesterday so hopefully that'll shorten the process a bit.

Did you get a tank fuel or fumes this time?

I've got a few things on the checklist to keep an eye on from here including interior trim fitment and the boot hinges.

I've tried to get my bank to pre-authorise payment but I might as well talk to a brick wall - the dealer seemed to think there shouldn't be any issues anyway so hopefully once that's done and I decline the extra sell I can pick it up and go. 😄

• Like 1

Got half a tank of fuel.
Dealer insists on payment being made two days before pickup,done by bank transfer so there’s no hassle on that front. This time all the paperwork was done online so that took longer 🙄 I love singing an ipad with my finger!

• Haha 3

Ah they seemed to suggest it would be easier to pay in the showroom to me. At least the hot chocolate is good there
😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got just over 1/4 tank on mine (£10?), this just depends on the dealer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Got just over 1/4 tank on mine (£10?), this just depends on the dealer.

Thanks yes I've just checked and 1/4 tank seems likely. Fine margins indeed 😄

• Like 1

Mine took about an hour to driving away. I paid the deposit balance using my debit card without issue, I didn't note that drive away insurance isn't provided but had already arranged my own. I had a quick guided tour of the car, but to be honest they're so complicated nowadays that it's better to go away and study at your own place. 

I went for the Premiere edition as I fancied the more powerful engine, but I think that you'd have to drive the two back to back to notice the difference. I wouldn't miss the HUD too much, but I love the 360 camera. To me the JBL sounds very "hi fi", clear but lacking in the lower register? I've not had a chance to look for any tweaks to the settings yet. 

The car came with just under half a tank of fuel, my previous RAV4 was filled to the brim - but it was the 7th car that my family had bought through that particular salesman, but he's since retired. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Mine took about an hour to driving away. I paid the deposit balance using my debit card without issue, I didn't note that drive away insurance isn't provided but had already arranged my own. I had a quick guided tour of the car, but to be honest they're so complicated nowadays that it's better to go away and study at your own place. 

I went for the Premiere edition as I fancied the more powerful engine, but I think that you'd have to drive the two back to back to notice the difference. I wouldn't miss the HUD too much, but I love the 360 camera. To me the JBL sounds very "hi fi", clear but lacking in the lower register? I've not had a chance to look for any tweaks to the settings yet. 

The car came with just under half a tank of fuel, my previous RAV4 was filled to the brim - but it was the 7th car that my family had bought through that particular salesman, but he's since retired. 

Yes, I do like your one in Urban Khaki, I think that's a great colour in the two tone.

The 360 camera was one of the options I was going for on the used cars I was looking at before they become standard so I'm really looking to trying that out properly.

In my younger days I built a full component Genesis Audio speaker and amp setup in an older Mondeo so the trouble is nothing will compare to that for soundstage.  I think maybe for the JBL setup you will have the DSP processor and maybe an active sub under the seat or in the boot or somewhere so it's possible you have some settings there.

Luckily I've still got a pack of silent coat from then so I'm sure once the car is bedded in I might have a play and see what we can do with the stock so I'll be interested to see what everyone else does with both systems over time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ralph H said:

That's funny as I had the opposite! I was just going to transfer my insurance from the old car to the new, but the salesman was very insistent in applying the 3-day driveaway insurance (I ended up regretting that slightly as, although I went through it all over the phone in the dealership, he forgot to activate it and I was driving around for a day with no insurance! It's a good thing my paranoia prompted me to check the askmid.com site!), and ended up having to drive back to the dealer the next day because nobody there seems to know what a ringing phone or e-mail is...)

Seems most people got a quarter tank - My salesman allegedly put in a tenner's worth and seemed to expect I'd be super grateful for that. That said, I get the impression that that comes out of their pocket and isn't reimbursed by the dealer which explains why it's so salesman dependent...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bob66 said:

You've missed out on lots of great features that are on the Premiere model...I came from the standard Excel, and think that the upgraded engine is well worth the difference in money. The engine is nippier, smoother and more frugal.

YC 24.JPG

Me like, me like a lot…

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tim5000 said:

I've tried to get my bank to pre-authorise payment but I might as well talk to a brick wall - the dealer seemed to think there shouldn't be any issues anyway so hopefully once that's done and I decline the extra sell I can pick it up and go. 😄

I simply paid by bank transfer, it was instant. Just added Account Number, Sort Code and Business name in Starling and hit "Send". Starling doesn't have a limit as to what you can send in this way (well, it does, from memory it's £500k per transfer).  It CAN take up to 2 hours to go through but I can't remember ever not seeing an instant transfer.

• Like 2

It is scary how much dealers can just pull out of your bank account via your debit card...! :fear: 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

It is scary how much dealers can just pull out of your bank account via your debit card...! :fear: 

Still cheaper than letting the mrs have it

• Haha 7

Can't recall the exact details but pretty sure I read somewhere that the "delivery" charge for a new car was meant to include £50 in fuel. It was either that or bundled somewhere in the OTR price. That said I've typically had around half a tank and seen it on the order/invoice as "dealer options".

Drive away insurance wasn't available for the new Corolla in march (story/saga still yet to come) or for OH's Yaris in April. Previous 2 cars for both of us it was (and introduction to Toyota insurance). Now you get "ring them if you want"

• Like 1

Ref : Drive-Away insurance.  Ive always made use of this, usually 3 or 7 day cover.  Steven Eagell St Ives said that there were too many claims so they stopped giving it. 

I arranged cover for the new Yaris Cross (collecting next Monday) and it overlaped with the Yaris I'm part exchanging but the additional premium was so small (under £5 after multicar discount etc) that the AP was waived.  That was Admiral MultiCover policy for my cars and house.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trashman1965 said:

Can't recall the exact details but pretty sure I read somewhere that the "delivery" charge for a new car was meant to include £50 in fuel. It was either that or bundled somewhere in the OTR price. That said I've typically had around half a tank and seen it on the order/invoice as "dealer options".

Drive away insurance wasn't available for the new Corolla in march (story/saga still yet to come) or for OH's Yaris in April. Previous 2 cars for both of us it was (and introduction to Toyota insurance). Now you get "ring them if you want"

I hope not, I've been done if that's the case! £50 would have been nearly 1000 miles of fuel for me when I got mine! :eek: :laugh: 

1 hour ago, jthspace said:

Ref : Drive-Away insurance.  Ive always made use of this, usually 3 or 7 day cover.  Steven Eagell St Ives said that there were too many claims so they stopped giving it. 

I arranged cover for the new Yaris Cross (collecting next Monday) and it overlaped with the Yaris I'm part exchanging but the additional premium was so small (under £5 after multicar discount etc) that the AP was waived.  That was Admiral MultiCover policy for my cars and house.

"too many claims" on 3 day insurance is a terrifying notion :fear: 

That just screams "driving ban needed" to me!! :eek: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

"too many claims" on 3 day insurance is a terrifying notion :fear: 

That just screams "driving ban needed" to me!! :eek: :laugh: 

I didn't say all the claims were on the same policy......😂

• Haha 3

I've been a Prius fan for years, and the 42 month PCP was up. So appalled by the only choice now being the well overpriced Plug-in I looked at the Yaris Cross Excel. And it had the advantage of being higher and easier for these old bones to get in and out of.

But! Road noise is far worse than the Prius, it has a harsh ride, the Engine sounds rough and everything needs several steps to action anything. And a very confusing choice of items to put on the triple-dial dash. (Could do with a logic diagram) And no Heads Up display.

Popped the USB music stick in and it shows faint on the audio 'sources' list. And can't be selected. Faint just means there's a position for it.

Looked in the manual and conflicting information - in the same book!  One part under operating the audio system gives instructions on how to select and play music.  Another section says the USB-C port is for charging phones only!

We had a play today and tried pressing and holding the three bar menu icon on the end of the USB source 'button'. It gives options for each source and as the USB choice was greyed out, so assumed it wasn't worth fiddling with it. Low and behold the word 'USB' came up bold and pressing it played a track! And the USB is now a selectable source.

Looked again in the book and nowhere does it mention this operation!  Doh!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links