Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lit 'Too fast' warning light within speed limit

Brian Hazel Watson

Car model - 1.5 Hybrid Yaris Excel

Has any other owners experienced a lit warning light, alerting driver that car is exceeding speed limit, while clearly driving within the limit (e.g. driving at 42 mph in a 50mph speed limit)?

IMG_20240829_075021.thumb.jpg.56ba4ee135ec5226a48727cf93cf8f30.jpg

Any suggestions?

Brian W

Check if it's still lit when driving 25mph on 40 or 30mph on 50 limit.

Not seen it for a while but my 22 Yaris used to get confused with mph & kph and tell me I was exceeding 40km per hour 

• Like 3

Agreed, our Yaris regularly confuses KPH with MPH.  Hope it is improved on the current cars as next month we pick up a Yaris Cross & Aygo X.  The audible gong would make it even more annoying.

• Like 1

@Brian Hazel Watson,Yes.. 40 kph is equivalent to 24 mph (roughly) so, at 30 mph the car thinks you are ‘exceeding’ the detected limit by 6 mph…
It’s another example of the system misreading signs.

• Like 1

Frequently showing (I assume) kph against real mph on speedo.

• Like 1

It lights up red if it has detected a sign/road marking for a limit, if you are over speed it will beep at you, up to 24 plate you can turn RSA and the warnings off, but it's now a legal requirement to have a warning system

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It lights up red if it has detected a sign/road marking for a limit, if you are over speed it will beep at you, up to 24 plate you can turn RSA and the warnings off, but it's now a legal requirement to have a warning system

i was wondering this on my wife cross because hers goes red when she is not speeding but the manual to me reads contradictory to what you are saying even though what you are saying seems like an interesting idea. Have you read this in the manual for Yaris in general this is from my wife manual and I thought that emphasised was it turning red. I also thought that perhaps its using the map data for the speed limit so it shows red compared to seeing a sign.

I cant check my manual for this question as its the newest yaris so if you are speeding it flashes by turning the speed sign on and off.

In the following situations, the RSA system will notify the driver.

When the vehicle speed exceeds the speed notification threshold of the speed limit sign displayed, the sign display will be emphasized and a buzzer will sound.

I just ignore it. Useless system.

• Like 2

My mistake, seeing it red most of the time, I thought that it was the norm - yep mine flip flops between kph and mph

The speed limit is white with a red border, and turns to solid red when it's over - that must be annoying if you have no way to turn the beeps off

I thought they would have fixed it by now, even tho there is a TSB on it

edit.

BE-00734T-TME

TSS 2.5 : Overspeed audible and visual notifications revert from mph to kph/kph to mph while driving / every ignition cycle

18/01/2023

• Like 2

Our Yaris had a recall for this, but it has made no difference.

On the cars we are getting next month disable RSA will be part of the starting procedure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

My mistake, seeing it red most of the time, I thought that it was the norm - yep mine flip flops between kph and mph

The speed limit is white with a red border, and turns to solid red when it's over - that must be annoying if you have no way to turn the beeps off

I thought they would have fixed it by now, even tho there is a TSB on it

edit.

BE-00734T-TME

TSS 2.5 : Overspeed audible and visual notifications revert from mph to kph/kph to mph while driving / every ignition cycle

18/01/2023

where do you find this information as would be curious to see and also see if its the same for the Yaris X like my wifes

This morning observations on a posted 30mph road coming from a 20mph zone, it changed from a 30mph white sign to a 30 red around 22-24 mph so equivalent to 3-5mph over

Similar issue on a 40mph posted road

the cross is 90% the same in electrical and driveline as the Yaris

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links