Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sorry hope this is right forum wanabee owner

Jerrysimon

My car search began early this year to replace my now ten year old Corsa owned from new.

I did almost buy an Ignis but glad I resisted as Suzuki are ceasing production next year.

As I am older (retired) I was looking for something a bit higher (hence the Ignis) and needs to be economical not big. Back doors are tight as is back seating space but it's just my wife and I plus small grandkids sometimes in the back, so not really a problem.

I have a test drive Tuesday. I am kinda set on new, given I keep my cars a long time and in this case I like the plain white maybe with the black alloys but silver are fine. The next option up has massive wheels but I can see the appeal for some.

The base Pure model ticks all the boxes I think. My Corsa is simlar spec with manual A/C etc. I love the heated seats but thats not an option lol, though I am sure I could add them.

I only do about 5-7k per year. There are some great deals at the moment likely to get even better next week.

I would probably get a 3 year service plan. Any further guidance/advice would be great even if its to tell me this is the wrong place to ask lol.

Edited by Jerrysimon
Changes
  • Like 2

Hi and welcome. 
Toyota Aygo X is a cracking small car. If you haven’t ordered one , try to get a deal on the mid range spec models, these are so slightly more expensive but they do come with useful extras and retain better value in the future. 
The most basic cars are purely for rental, or other fleet use imo and they lack important goodies that every private owner will benefit through out the ownership. Nothing wrong if you really think the base model will be good enough, but just run again a comparison between both and see if it’s worth extra £1000 for edge model spec. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi and welcome. 
Toyota Aygo X is a cracking small car. If you haven’t ordered one , try to get a deal on the mid range spec models, these are so slightly more expensive but they do come with useful extras and retain better value in the future. 
The most basic cars are purely for rental, or other fleet use imo and they lack important goodies that every private owner will benefit through out the ownership. Nothing wrong if you really think the base model will be good enough, but just run again a comparison between both and see if it’s worth extra £1000 for edge model spec. 

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome. I will take a look.

1 minute ago, Jerrysimon said:

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome. I will take a look.

You are welcome. 
What transmission are you looking to at, manual or automatic? 

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

You are welcome. 
What transmission are you looking to at, manual or automatic? 

Definately manual.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jerrysimon said:

Definately manual.

These are more fun to drive indeed.
The new cvt auto is also a great improvement over the previous mmt transmissions found in older cars.
Manual transmission , small  petrol engine it’s a bullet proof combination for a long and trouble free economical car 👌

• Like 3

If your not desperate to change & not to fussy on spec it might be worth asking your Toyota main dealer what Aygo X they have on the demonstrator fleet that they need to sell now or shortly in the future.

You could also ask to see the canceled order list - this will be a vehicle someone has ordered, it's been built but now they have changed there mind so discount should be available.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

'If your not desperate to change & not to fussy on spec it might be worth asking your Toyota main dealer what Aygo X they have on the demonstrator fleet that they need to sell now or shortly in the future.

You could also ask to see the canceled order list - this will be a vehicle someone has ordered, it's been built but now they have changed there mind so discount should be available."

That's good advice too thanks. They already offered me £1400 off retail which is a great start plus I am told maybe more offers next week. Is it worth buying the three year service plan which includes breakdown I think. More thing to negociate 🙂

Try carwow for price if buying new

• Like 3

Yep did that already thanks, hence the £1400 discount. It's brilliant. Things have move on a bit since I purchased my Corsa ten years ago lol.

• Like 1

As you say the difference between Aygo X trims is a lot closer now Toyota are in charge. The previous versions of Aygo with the Peugeot/Citroen tie up, we have a Mk1 and Mk2 Peugeot 107 and 108, both with Toyota 1.0 engine, it was a bit different, the base models were noticeably different for the next levels, but now with the Aygo X it iirc colour choice and as you say alloy wheels.

As mentioned worth exploring the options cos you may get lucky with a dealer deal on a certain spec, but your choice at the end of the day, but get your point cos when the Aygo X first came out I surprised how close spec wise they were, as you say wasn't like that when we got our similar Mk1 107 (Aygo) over 15 years ago, when going up a spec got you exciting goodies like remote locking, leccy windows and more airbags! 

• Like 3

Another thing to consider, is the child seats for the Grandchildren. As it is mainly you and your wife who will use the car, it may be worth checking to see how easily a car seat can be fitted, and removed, for when the grandchildren are with you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Another thing to consider, is the child seats for the Grandchildren. As it is mainly you and your wife who will use the car, it may be worth checking to see how easily a car seat can be fitted, and removed, for when the grandchildren are with you.

Thanks. Grandkids are 6 and 8 so just quick remove booster not baby seats 🙂

• Like 3

As per delivery post I ordered my new Aygo Pure in white this morning after it's test drive.

I used CarWow and got £1500 of list and 10% off the three year service contract.

I liked the drive of the Aygo. It def feels more modern than my Corsa and has a better geart box. Power is simlar my Corsa, 0-60 in about 13 seconds this is around 14.5 seconds I think. You have to work the engine a little harder. I prefer the look of the 17" silver alloy wheels but understand that's a personal choice. I looked at the Edge spec but the only thing that would make me want that would be the climate control over manual A/C, but I am use to that on the Corsa and I would have "had" to go for the larger 18" black/silver wheels. You have to go up to the Exclusive for keyless entry, button start larger media screen etc.

The whole BT and Apple Carplay thing is nice 🙂

I have after market BT I fitted in my 10 year old Corsa but its a pain.

I have read through the warranty and the inital 3 year one seems ok but I note more exclusions like media player etc in the subsequent remainder of 10 years. Its a different warranty I think ?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jerrysimon said:

I have read through the warranty and the inital 3 year one seems ok but I note more exclusions like media player etc in the subsequent remainder of 10 years. Its a different warranty I think ?

The manufactures new car warranty is 3 years or 60k miles - whichever comes first.

Once that warranty expires you can if you wish stick with the Toyota main dealer network for servicing to activate the Relax warranty - its up to you. 

The Relax warranty scheme that kicks in after the manufacturers warranty has expired does have different coverage & exclusions - its basically a sweetener for sticking with the Toyota main dealer network for servicing. 

You can by having the vehicle serviced at a Toyota main dealer, benefit from the Relax warranty scheme which will add an additional 10k miles or 12 months ( whichever comes first ) of Relax warranty coverage.

You can keep servicing the vehicle at a Toyota main dealer for additional Relax warranty coverage until the vehicle reaches 10 years of age OR 100k miles - whichever comes first. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, forkingabout said:

The manufactures new car warranty is 3 years or 60k miles - whichever comes first.

Once that warranty expires you can if you wish stick with the Toyota main dealer network for servicing to activate the Relax warranty - its up to you. 

The Relax warranty scheme that kicks in after the manufacturers warranty has expired does have different coverage & exclusions - its basically a sweetener for sticking with the Toyota main dealer network for servicing. 

You can by having the vehicle serviced at a Toyota main dealer, benefit from the Relax warranty scheme which will add an additional 10k miles or 12 months ( whichever comes first ) of Relax warranty coverage.

You can keep servicing the vehicle at a Toyota main dealer for additional Relax warranty coverage until the vehicle reaches 10 years of age OR 100k miles - whichever comes first. 

Sorry to hijack the thread, but just wanted to check something with my 2021 plate Aygo x-play. It was registered April 2021 - am I right in thinking my car has a 5 year manufacturer warranty? I've looked on the MyToyota page and can't seem to see anything there - the user manual talks about a warranty booklet, which I don't think I have. Would be useful to know if I ever need to argue with the dealer about not having Relax.

Toyota website under warranty says:

Customers with new Toyota vehicles will have a three-year/60,000-mile manufacturer’s warranty in place, or, for Toyotas ordered prior to 1 June 2021, a five-year/100,000-mile warranty. 

if it was registered in April 21 then it should have a 5 year warranty as long as you maintain it according to Toyota requirements.

& once you get outside the 5 years then you can keep it in warranty up to 10 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first) with dealer servicing.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2024 at 5:45 PM, Jerrysimon said:

As per delivery post I ordered my new Aygo Pure in white this morning after it's test drive.

I used CarWow and got £1500 of list and 10% off the three year service contract.

I liked the drive of the Aygo. It def feels more modern than my Corsa and has a better geart box. Power is simlar my Corsa, 0-60 in about 13 seconds this is around 14.5 seconds I think. You have to work the engine a little harder. I prefer the look of the 17" silver alloy wheels but understand that's a personal choice. I looked at the Edge spec but the only thing that would make me want that would be the climate control over manual A/C, but I am use to that on the Corsa and I would have "had" to go for the larger 18" black/silver wheels. You have to go up to the Exclusive for keyless entry, button start larger media screen etc.

The whole BT and Apple Carplay thing is nice 🙂

I have after market BT I fitted in my 10 year old Corsa but its a pain.

You have, to all intents and purposes, echoed my situation - retired, second car, needed something (relatively) inexpensive, simple and cheap to run. The rear space means only 2 grandchildren at a time in the back, but that’s fine.

i do find the road sign assist - which simply bleats every time you exceed a speed limit when the speedo overheads by 3mph a PITA, so I have found the shortest way to disable it each journey! I also disable or set to the lowest level of sensitivity the other driver aids which I find more dangerous than helpful.

it is a cracking small car, which feels bigger than it is when in the front seats and a joy to park.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new car!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am back again.

Because of the delays of getting a Pure I am being offered a upgrade to an Edge for £740 (they want to shift it in Sep) over waiting for a new build end Oct/Nov.

Difficult, my thoughts are its worth it for the auto wipers, privacy glass and climate AC over manual. Large wheels aren't a draw really as I prefer the smaller 17" silver ones and tyre prices are a little higher in price (£30-£40) not that it will be bothering me much for a while as I average 5-6K mainly town driving each year.

I keep my cars about ten years, or at least have the last two new ones.

Appreciate your thoughts. I am going for white I think the Edge is two tone black and white ?

• Like 3

Basically, it's your call depends on your car option priorities. I can sympathise cos when we got last new car, Peugeot 107 that we still have, we got a dealer sweetener to do a quicker purchase, like yours sure targets and bonuses were in the mix. We got a mid spec 107 which back then had worthwhile extras over the basic model, where as the top specs had AC and alloy wheels, which like you say above, we weren't that fussed about. Also, having looked at many other car options, we basically decided on the 107 mid spec anyway, so weren't pressured into something we didn't want and like you we keep our cars quite a while, our Peugeot 107 with toyota 1.0 engine now 15+ years, so it had to be right and still very happy with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerrysimon said:

I am back again.

Because of the delays of getting a Pure I am being offered a upgrade to an Edge for £740 (they want to shift it in Sep) over waiting for a new build end Oct/Nov.

Difficult, my thoughts are its worth it for the auto wipers, privacy glass and climate AC over manual. Large wheels aren't a draw really as I prefer the smaller 17" silver ones and tyre prices are a little higher in price (£30-£40) not that it will be bothering me much for a while as I average 5-6K mainly town driving each year.

I keep my cars about ten years, or at least have the last two new ones.

Appreciate your thoughts. I am going for white I think the Edge is two tone black and white ?

Definitely worth any penny. 
Mid range and top spec cars retain their resale value better in the future and usually for little more money you get very useful extras. Wheels aren’t so important but auto climate control is really good. Seat cover materials, anything really, darker rear windows.
Entry level cars are more like a fleet, rental or other sort of public use cars oriented products rather than private buys. 

• Like 4

I've got the Edge, I think its the best in terms of value for money. The wheels are only one inch bigger at 18 inches, and I like the auto headlights etc. it comes with.

• Like 3

I compared the two different specs when I ordered my Pure - for me, I didn't see an extra £1k in value to me in the Edge so chose the Pure.

In your case, do you see £740 of value in the Edge over the Pure? - only you can really make that choice, if you plan on keeping it for a fair time the 'future resale vale' becomes a bit of a moot point.

If it were me, I'd either wait for the Pure or try and work a larger discount on the in-stock Edge to a level where you are happy with the additional cost.

Whichever deal you go for, enjoy your car 🙂 

EDIT:  I forgot to add, obviously, if time is a major factor then you may also find extra value in the clear availability of the Edge

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TriumphMan said:

I compared the two different specs when I ordered my Pure - for me, I didn't see an extra £1k in value to me in the Edge so chose the Pure.

In your case, do you see £740 of value in the Edge over the Pure? - only you can really make that choice, if you plan on keeping it for a fair time the 'future resale vale' becomes a bit of a moot point.

If it were me, I'd either wait for the Pure or try and work a larger discount on the in-stock Edge to a level where you are happy with the additional cost.

Whichever deal you go for, enjoy your car 🙂 

EDIT:  I forgot to add, obviously, if time is a major factor then you may also find extra value in the clear availability of the Edge

1i would try and get a better deal as any discount could be more useful in the future ether way it's up to you you are going to be paying and driving the car I have got the edge because of more colour choice and spec good luck with your choice 

• Like 1

Many thanks some great suggestions here. I'm going for the Edge as it will be ready 23/9 (cancelled order from someone else) over the Pure which still says manufacture not started on my order.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links