Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

USB port not working

Cookhaus

Hi, I bought this car last week ('65 plate Auris 1.8 vvt-i Excel Touring Sports Hybrid CVT) and I'm trying to update the software/maps, etc on the Touch 2 and Go Plus. But when I plug a memory stick into the USB port nothing happens.

My memory stick lights-up when plugged-in to other devices (PC, Xbox, Bluray player, etc) but not when plugged into the car.

It's formatted on PC as FAT32 and I've tried to play some MP3 files through the audio but it is just greyed-out on the display...

PXL_20240830_095107471.thumb.jpg.c6b3aa0e88813bf1cb7a33b2e67c3894.jpg

The car has had a tilt sensor fitted by the original owner. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the USB/AUX port maybe being disconnected. OR does it have a separate fuse?

Is there any easy way to get to the connector for this without having to remove the whole Touch 2 unit? (Through the glove box maybe?).

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Unfortunately you need to create a playlist file  with extension (m3u) for the headuntt to recognise usb tracks.

Eg

Rocknroll.m3u:

Song1.mp3

Song2.mp3

Etc

I create subfolders for each playlist. You can prefix the above songs with

Rocknroll/song1.mp3

Etc

Or use the dos batch file i wrote (attached). It will auto create playlists for each subfolder containing mp3s.

REM CreatePlayLists.bat
REM 1. Create sub folders for each required playlist.
REM 2. Each playlist sub folder should contain the MP3 tracks.
REM 3. Run this DOS batch file from the top-level (root) directory
REM 4. It will auto generate a playlist.M3u for each sub folder

@echo off
setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

FOR /d %%i in (*) do (
    echo #EXTM3U > %%i.m3u
    for %%G in (%%i/*.mp3) do (
        echo %%i/%%G >> %%i.m3u
    )
    type %%i.m3u
)

pause

CreatePlayLists.bat

Hi !

Maybe you stick has the memory too big and headunit can't read it....

Try with another one, 8Gb or 16.

It's a 1gb stick but it does not light-up in the port like it does on all my other devices. Does that mean the USB port might be disconnected or blown a fuse maybe? I've also tried 16gb and 32gb Sandisk sticks all formatted FAT32 on a PC...

4 hours ago, Cookhaus said:

Does that mean the USB port might be disconnected or blown a fuse maybe?

Sounds that way way to me. There should be 5 volts present as measured between the outside pins. I don't know where the 5 volts is derived and where fused but would guess it to be internal to the infotainment system.

Its also not beyond the bounds of possibility in these days of configurability that the port can be enabled or disabled under software control (menu settings).  

5v is definitely supplied as i used it to charge my phone occasionally.

Either the cable isnt plugged in to the head unit, or it has a power supply issue. There is no external fuse for the usb 5v supply.

They are normally overload short circuit protected, electronically.

Thanks for all help and advice so far guys...

I tried plugging my phone in to the USB earlier today and nothing happened, so I'm going to pull-out the head unit tomorrow and the USB/AUX socket to check that the cable is plugged-in fully at both ends. 🤞

Also take a peek into the usb female socket with a torch and magnifying glass to ensure the 4  sprung contacts are not damaged, corroded, burned, bent or oxidised.

The two outer contacts supply 5v power, and the two inner contacts are for data.

• Like 1

Hmm... Can you spot something missing!? 😄

PXL_20240902_110321262.thumb.jpg.66a578976a7f9577adb0722d8aa7c8bb.jpg

I'm guessing they forgot to plug it back in after doing the tilt-sensor install.

PXL_20240902_122237270.thumb.jpg.37c1c2f7f23bd5b8f835c588b84704c6.jpg

I've updated the interface software...

PXL_20240902_113451905.thumb.jpg.a670693240e5c904b3862cb23af4435a.jpg

And successfully played some MP3 files from the USB stick.

Once again, thanks for the help and suggestions guys. And thanks for the M3U batch script Solero, that's going to save me lots of time. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2024 at 5:26 PM, solero said:

Unfortunately you need to create a playlist file  with extension (m3u) for the headuntt to recognise usb tracks.

Eg

Rocknroll.m3u:

Song1.mp3

Song2.mp3

Etc

I create subfolders for each playlist. You can prefix the above songs with

Rocknroll/song1.mp3

Etc

What would be the use of this ? If there's no tags in MP3 ? All my songs have tags and I don't understand how this would help me. You can see the same like you can see on Cookhaus's last photo. Name, album, artist... all visible ? 

you do not need a .m3u as the system self-indexes  and uses tags just make sure the file structure is maintained, album art is a known issue

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links