Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 1,8 clunking noise from the front

mflorant

Hi All,

Sorry for that I have opened another topic, but need some infos.

Cruising in the city and going over small potholes the front is having kind-of a clunking noise. When driving a bit faster noise is getting lighter.

Is there any common issue with these cars that I need to check first.

Ps: I do know that diagnosing a problem with remote assistance is not but maybe someone had similar issues before.

Thanks in advance 

In the front between the wheel and the brakes there is a tin protective cover, sometimes after potholes in the road or from a sidewalk it bends a little and then touches the wheel and it makes the noise, you have to take a screwdriver and straighten it a bit that's all. have fun

Edited by Xanadu_999
Reformatted text.

Thank you, I'll check it.

It is more like a clunking than a grinding sound. But I'll check.

clunking yes ... i had it in my car, just bent it a little inside.

• Thanks 1

I would jack up the car, use axle stands if you have them, check each wheel for noises whilst spinning it round by hand, check for play/sounds when rocking the wheel & tyre top & bottom (hands at 12 & 6 o clock, and then side to side (hands at 3 & 9).

About all you can do after that is to place it on stands and check individual suspension components & calipers discs etc using a pry bar where necessary whilst remembering that loads & strains etc may have different effects compared to when the wheel is on the ground & bearing the weight of the car. 

You can also give the car a bounce & see how the shocks & spring react, the last tip is more helpful for diagnosing a dodgy wheel bearing but if you can find a large empty car park you can drive circles in each direction & at varying speeds whilst listening for noises, this loads up one side of the car more than the other and may reveal something. I note that you mention it happens when you encounter small potholes but your own checks might reveal something and cost nothing.

• Like 2

I have now checked the protective cover and it looks OK. I would rather change my wording, the noise is more like a knocking than a clunking sound. In such case any common issues anyone had?

On my T27, the knocks come from the steering column. A common problem. And it really sounds like it's coming from the front suspension...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check if the noise disappears if you press the brakes lightly.  If it does then it's probably worn brake caliper slider pins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shock absorbers or top mounts can be too. 
But you need to check physically, otherwise is only a guess work . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Yeah I know, that's why I wrote remote diagnosis 😉

Thanks for all your advises 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2024 at 2:52 PM, TonyHSD said:

Yeah I know, that's why I wrote remote diagnosis 😉

Thanks for all your advise

Ps: I have checked the brake calipers sliding pins and they were dry like Sahara. Now the clunking is disappeared. Yet another success story. Thanks for all your advises! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links