Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash cam

David Teasdale

Recommendations for a dash cam for a 2024 Yaris Cross

The Toyota dash cam is good, it’s discrete and reliable

• Like 1

Thank you 

Whichever you choose, get one with super capacitor. I have a viofo 2k and an old vicovation 2k. 

• Like 1

I would recommend any of the Next Base cameras, have the 322 for years never missed a beat, Toyota dealers fit them. 

• Like 1

Viofo 4k front and 2k rear to be fitted next week

Viofo Amazon

IMG_2006.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, aygo_uk said:

The Toyota dash cam is good, it’s discrete and reliable

If this is the Nextbase 380GW, bear in mind the resolution is 1080p. We had this fitted to our Yaris, and yes, it is discreet.

I had a 322GW fitted in my C-HR and this also recorded in 1080p.

I cannot fault the reliability of the Nextbase cameras. I have however, replaced both the 380GW and the 322GW with the Nextbase 622GW models which gives 4K resolution. I found the 380GW and 322GW did not give me the ability to record in a high enough resolution. I also have the Nextbase rear cameras fitted to both cars and wanted the higher resolution here too.

So, what I am trying to say, is go for the Nextbase camera. They are brilliant. But, make sure you are happy with the resolution.

I have attached some images of the 1080 resolution and the 4k resolution. In the 1080p, you can't make out the registration number of the car, while in the 4K, the reg number can be clearly seen (I have had to blur some characters of the number plate to offer some privacy).

380gw.jpg

622gw.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jthspace said:

Viofo 4k front and 2k rear to be fitted next week

Viofo Amazon

IMG_2006.jpeg

I doubt you'll be disappointed, I bought the 2k version of your 4k front camera & found it to be pretty good, The I spotted on eBay the 4K version for £25, brand new & unused in the box but camera only, no accessories, I got a mount from Aliexpress for about £8 and a hardwire kit from Temu for about the same price. 

I'm going to hardwire the 2k one for the rear as it seems you can't connect two "front" cameras together.

I don't like downloading apps onto my phone but I tried the Viofo one and it's worth having and pretty intuitive.

Screenshot from 2024-08-30 22-29-58.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

I would recommend any of the Next Base cameras, have the 322 for years never missed a beat, Toyota dealers fit them. 

I agree, I have them in my Yaris and Rav4. Both front and rear cameras,

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on how much you’re willing to spend, I have the blackvue front and rear cameras with additional Battery hardwired so as to be able to use parking mode, excellent footage and it downloads straight to my photos so I can easily access footage

• Like 1

I have a top range Nextbase 622GW Front & Rear Dashcam in the Forums For Sale Section 👍

• Like 1

Not 4k recording on that Dashcam, but totally acceptable 👍

• Like 2

well any dash cam is better then no dash cam if you want to give some evidence to insurance companies.

I went for a next base 622 direct from website as you got the rear camera as well. I mainly got this one not to run at 4k but to run at 1440 (which is not much quality loss over 4k) because it was then capable to capture at 60 fps so you have more chance to get a clear image on fast moving objects which generally would be the case in road situations.

very easy to mount and I can't see it as its mounted behind the rear view mirror so it does not block any of the drivers view as per the regulations. The cable for the rear camera is more than long enough with plenty left after you have run it. I run the cable along the bottom of the car so not to interfere with any of the airbags etc and you can't see any cable as it's all behind the plastic. 

• Like 2

Just wondered if the dealer fit dashcams have parking mode?, and for how long before it shuts down to save the cars Battery..?

• Like 1

If it has Parking Mode Function and has been hard wired in or using the OBD port (Nextbase), then it will having parking mode, but I'd not bank on it being activated by the dealer/installer, it's always best to go into the settings and have a play.  Using the simple cigarette lighter plug in option will not activate Parking Mode Function.

Most reputable Dashcams have a built in power monitor, which prevents it from draining the cars Battery.

Best to simply look up the Specifications for your exact model and it will answer all your questions.

• Like 1

The 380GWX as fitted by Toyota has an optional Battery that powers parking mode. Mine was supplied with this Battery fitted but the default settings have it turned off. I’ve not tried it on mine but I don’t think it will drain the cars Battery as I don’t think it’s been installed with a permanent live connection. 

• Like 2

I’m just thinking that, with todays cars ( not just Toyota) Battery issues seem to be more prevalent, most of the dash cam hardwire kits have Battery shut off mode to save the cars Battery if it gets to a certain voltage it will shut off the camera, with todays smaller ( it seems) and all the modern gadgets, the voltage will soon drop therefore not giving long in parking mode..

• Like 2

The Viofo wiring kit includes a voltage cut-off device which you can set at what level of voltage the device will trigger.

12.2 volts is, according to the Yuasa Battery sticker, 50% discharge so I'll set mine to that when wiring in next week.

IMG_2013.thumb.jpeg.c6429fcf5771e54b2687dde653d5702e.jpeg

I also bought this from Amazon Japan to enable easier install of the power supply connections.

IMG_2014.thumb.jpeg.575feb8b046d36787769484f2d3e1085.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ralph H said:

The 380GWX as fitted by Toyota has an optional battery that powers parking mode. Mine was supplied with this battery fitted but the default settings have it turned off. I’ve not tried it on mine but I don’t think it will drain the cars battery as I don’t think it’s been installed with a permanent live connection. 

Correct - the approved way to fit is to a switched 12V and parking mode only uses the camera's internal Battery so it won't discharge the car's 12V Battery. It recharges when the main 12v system is active.

It's a limited function parking mode - movement will trigger it as well as an impact but it takes a few seconds to power up and start recording. It's also dumb in that it starts parking mode even while the car is on (for instance traffic or drive through queue).

• Like 1

I always go with Viofo cameras. Nextbase are fine, but I found their app totally atrocious.

• Like 3

Viofo do make decent kit and their post-sales support is very good.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Jules88 said:

I always go with Viofo cameras. Nextbase are fine, but I found their app totally atrocious.

I never use the Nextbase app. Perhaps I'm old and grumpy, but why does everything now have to have an app anyway. 

• Like 3

I know right?! When we were buying a new washing machine, the saleswoman was trying to flog us this £700 Samsung model, her main angle being that "It has an app for your smartphone!" and she seemed to genuinely think this was an incredible feature that would definitely convince us to buy it.

Like what is even the point of having an app for a washing machine?! It's not going to load/unload it for you, so what are you going to do, load it, put all the soap and softener in, then go to work and remotely start it?! In what scenario does that have any useful function!? Even if I wanted that, even our old exploded machine has a timer function!

We went for a £300 no-frills Bosch instead (Which I have to say is one of the best washing machines we've ever had for one reason: It has a shock absorber!! Every single other washing machine we've had, and even that Samsung, just had a breeze block or something similarly heavy to absorb the vibrations - This is the first washing machine I'd seen that used an actual shock absorber! It's so smooth!! It's the most amazing thing I've- Why are you all looking at me like that...?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

But, @Cyker, how do you manage without the app (he asks sarcastically)? This illustrates my point exactly.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links