Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Verso SR VVT-1 - misfire on cylinder 2 - poor idling

HJ 1964

I have a toyota corolla verso, that has done 91,000 miles.

I took it to the garage as a engine light came on and the car was losing power every so often and idling poorly.

The code P0302 came up - a misfire on cylinder 2.

They swapped over the coil pack from cylinder 2 to check it with another one and the code still came up on cylinder 2.  This ruled out the coil pack. 

New spark plugs were fitted.  I asked if the spark plugs were ok and working when fitted.  They assured me they were. 

Spray pattern on the fuel injectors is good. 

Could it be a damaged injector circuit? They checked wiring and all ok, I asked if the fuel filter needed changing and they said 'no'.  They ruled out: leak in hoses that carry fuel/air, a clogged air filter, worn/faulty oxygen sensor, dirty throttle body and clogged catalytic converter.  These would show up on the diagnostic test. 

The Battery has been fully charged incase it was affecting the fuel injectors.  And it's been disconnected/reconnected. 

This leaves a sticking value - clearance or the engine management unit.  Both potentially expensive to investigate. 

Has anyone got any ideas what to do next?   I've spent quite a bit of money on the car over the last few months and don't really want to take it to the scrap yard. This is my last throw of the dice...

I've watched utube videos to try to familiarise and understand the issue.  I'm not a mechanic and each time I'd need to go to the garage.  Would it be worth getting a second opinion?

I've been told it's unusual for a toyota to have this problem. 

Any thoughts gratefully received. 

I would first of all ask for a compression test just to rule out a stuck valve or any other major mechanical issue with the #2 cylinder. Then make sure the spark for that cylinder is good. Swapping the coils is useful information but doesn't prove that the electrics serving #2 coil are good.

The engine management will sometimes turn off the fuel injector if the ignition isn't working as a strategy to prevent damage to the catalytic converter, so it's best to make 100% sure of the spark first before chasing a problem on the fuel side.

Thank you.

Ah yes, I forgot to add, the compression test came back good, advised not too far away on each cycle, 150, 135, 150 and 170.  

Next steps then, the spark on cylinder 2 could be checked.

And, check electrics to coil 2. Would I need an electrician or should a garage mechanic be able to do this?

• 1 month later...

A quick update.  I found a Toyota trained mechanic who has fixed my car.  Whoop Whoop. 

This is his report.

Investigate engine warning light on and lack of power.  Retrieved X 2 DTC’s from ECU.  P0302 cylinder 2 misfire detected.  P0010 Camshaft position A Actuator circuit bank 1.

Check misfire count on live date and confirm misfire on cylinder 2.  Swapped coil packs around leading to number 2 coil pack now at cylinder number 4.  After re-checking live date misfire moved to cylinder 4 with coil pack.  Replaced coil pack on cylinder 4 to rectify misfire.  

Checked wiring from ECU to oil control valve.  All OK.  He also changed the oil and replaced the filter.  Check oil control valve internal circuit and bench test.  As well as fitted an alternative OCV from another vehicle.  Inspected and cleaned OCV filter.  Removed and inspected cam shaft assembly.  No faults found through any of these checks.  Toyota manual suggests that if all this is ok then new ECM is required to rectify DTC P0100. 

However, since driving the car a few times, all lights are off and it goes well.  So fingers crossed for a few more miles .......    

The only thing in this story is I'm disappointed in the advice/service I received from my regular garage who I've used for over 20 years.   

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links