Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urgent help/advice needed for T22

CrazyMango73

I know I have been a bit of a nuisance with my T22 avensis on the forum recently, asking silly questions but I'm only 20 and trying to be a better car owner.

Unfortunately, on the way home from a night shift this morning (you can imagine how annoying this was), the engine light came on and obviously I started panicking but I pulled over and checked the OBD2 scanner and got one error:

image.thumb.jpeg.977b3f2fbd69bf2e74f9dde9c636137c.jpeg

"O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1". 

Luckily I was already aware this is a faulty lambda sensor (1 of 4 iirc) and I know this is a common issue with the Avensis. The reason this is urgent is that I have an important trip up north on Thursday (about 2.5 hours) and need the car! First off, can I risk it?

I'm aware this is a relatively simple DIY job which the right tools. I believe I can go and pick up the DENSO sensors (do I need to replace all 4 now?) in that time, but what else would I need to replace them?

As you can tell, I am slightly panicking about what to do so any help/advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Sorry for using the forum like this, I am only 20 😄

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Hi Tom,If the O2 sensor light has come on, it’s normally okay to drive short distances, but it might affect the fuel economy and emissions. As you have a 2.5 hr trip coming up, I would sort this out before you go.You don’t need to replace all four O2 sensors right away just the one that’s causing the issue, which is the Bank 2 Sensor 1. This should solve the immediate problem without unnecessary cost.To replace the sensor, you’ll need a new O2 sensor an O2 sensor socket (usually around 22mm), and possibly some penetrating oil or WD40 if the old sensor is stuck. Find the faulty sensor in the exhaust system and disconnect its connector. Remove the old sensor, then fit the new one and reconnect the connector. Don’t worry about asking questions that’s how you learn and get better at car problems.This video is just an example how you remove sensors it shows the removal tool needed.

https://youtu.be/ahCLImKir8A?si=UEMUb9ogdSQnqoVP

• Like 3

Thanks. I've ordered a 22mm O2 socket right away. I'm in the process of ordering the sensor. After scouring the forums, I've found this:   DSC00015.thumb.webp.7826a01d7ada949a59e1adba852f7e59.webp                                               

I believe its the one near the blue arrow and so I need this:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/denso-lambda-sensor-710824205

Anyone able to confirm?

Update: I tried loosening the oxygen sensor bolt and failed today. I tried many things, such as WD-40, turning on the engine to heat it up and just brute force using a socket wrench. I went to a local garage just to see if they can lend me a hand with something longer - nothing. Won't budge at all. I've had to resort to booking it in with a mechanic which is not what I wanted to do but hopefully the fact that I already bought the replacement sensor will keep the cost down.

I will try again tomorrow with some rust penetrant, I heard that is better to use. I might try 'shocking' it with a hammer too. Any advice before tomorrow would be of great help. Pretty frustrated today.

I know that feeling, when you are trying to fix something yourself and spent so much time and energy but at some point just have to admit it's a job for a mechanic. But don't see this as a personal defeat. The garages do this kind of stuff daily, not like us DIYers. 

If you want to learn more about fixing cars I can recommend you a few Youtube channels called NoNonsenseKnowHow, ChrisFix, Mat Armstrong. They do fix and rebuild cars and record quite a detailed videos for the audience in which you can see all process steps, tools used and tricks applied. I have definetely learned a few things just watching YouTube videos of people fixings cars. And of course the help from this forum.

Thanks Seb. I watched ChrisFix and Scotty Kilman, and tried their techiques too and failed. I think whoever last screwed on the bolt must've overtorqued it. Thankfully, the car dealer I bought it from has offered to fit the part (I bought) for free. There's a silver lining with everything 🙂

• Thanks 1

Mechanics were able to replace the sensor for me in a day. Just required some heat apparently. 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links