Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A new ask on space saver tyre for 2024 Rav Phev

DavidinDerbyshire

Another option that may be worth considering is a plug kit. It is better than gunk if the puncture has not caused any more damage than just the hole. It would mean that you could probably drive home relatively normally.

10 minutes ago, philip42h said:

You pays your money and takes your choice as they say ...

Philip, that is sage advice and it is your route that I have chosen to follow so many thanks for your pathfinder guidance.   My wife is 14 years younger than me. The car is registered in her name. I am confident she will outlive me. The reason we chose to buy THIS car, with all its taxation and eco considerations, is that she will have a very comfortable, reliable and economical transport for the rest of her driving expectation.  And since she is mechano-phobe, techno-phobe and financially innocent it is my duty to leave her with as few problems as possible. I have taught her to use the rooftop emergency button. What else can I do?  I suspect many Forum users will not be able to grasp these aspects of late-life motoring, probably because present day media people like to propagate the myth that after 75 you are riddled with dementia and incapable of intelligent thought.  I do seem, though, to have highlighted a question of great importance to Toyota policy-makers. Thanks for your input. 

15 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

worth considering is a plug kit.

I heard of those in a renowned Mediterranean resort where we used to spend a few weeks every summer. Never got round to trying it. Ha Ha. That’s the naked truth!

I have a space saver spare in the boot and I also have Toyota Roadside Assistance, so I must have double peace of mind 😄

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Philip, that is sage advice and it is your route that I have chosen to follow so many thanks for your pathfinder guidance.   My wife is 14 years younger than me. The car is registered in her name. I am confident she will outlive me. The reason we chose to buy THIS car, with all its taxation and eco considerations, is that she will have a very comfortable, reliable and economical transport for the rest of her driving expectation.  And since she is mechano-phobe, techno-phobe and financially innocent it is my duty to leave her with as few problems as possible. I have taught her to use the rooftop emergency button. What else can I do?  I suspect many Forum users will not be able to grasp these aspects of late-life motoring, probably because present day media people like to propagate the myth that after 75 you are riddled with dementia and incapable of intelligent thought.  I do seem, though, to have highlighted a question of great importance to Toyota policy-makers. Thanks for your input. 

Oi watch the 75 thing mate😂 I am 76.Seriously I have a 21 HEV and ordered a sunroof so then no spare wheel. It is the emissions thing NOT weight.Honestly don't know if the spare wheel space is smaller in the PHEV but I can assure you that I have had a full size spare from the week I picked up my car. You can't put the floor shelf in the lower position but that is the only downside.For what it's worth I would recommend a full size spare all day long . My logic is that I would drive on the flat and get off said motorway then call the Aa/RAC and say change this please. I did a trial wheel change at home when I got the car and can assure you that the full size spare is very heavy!! 10 or 15 years ago I would have changed it myself but to honest probably would not now. However the option is there if I was 200 miles from home and I had been told I had a long wait for the RAC/AA TO COME OUT. It's about piece of mind and having choices.Incidentally,in the three and a half years I have had the car I have had 3 punctures but they were all slow ones and I was able to drive to a garage and inflate enough to get to my local tyre fitter.Hope this helps 

regards Terry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Oi watch the 75 thing mate😂 I am 76.Seriously I have a 21 HEV and ordered a sunroof so then no spare wheel. It is the emissions thing NOT weight.Honestly don't know if the spare wheel space is smaller in the PHEV but I can assure you that I have had a full size spare from the week I picked up my car. You can't put the floor shelf in the lower position but that is the only downside.For what it's worth I would recommend a full size spare all day long . My logic is that I would drive on the flat and get off said motorway then call the Aa/RAC and say change this please. I did a trial wheel change at home when I got the car and can assure you that the full size spare is very heavy!! 10 or 15 years ago I would have changed it myself but to honest probably would not now. However the option is there if I was 200 miles from home and I had been told I had a long wait for the RAC/AA TO COME OUT. It's about piece of mind and having choices.Incidentally,in the three and a half years I have had the car I have had 3 punctures but they were all slow ones and I was able to drive to a garage and inflate enough to get to my local tyre fitter.Hope this helps 

regards Terry.

Terry, I love you for that. You sum up very well the retired driver dilemma. When I had a big Burstner mo-home I had to weigh up (pun intended) the value of a heavy spare wheel in the “garage” thus reducing pleasure payload, but when I had a big blowout on the autoroute north of Mubikilles in 90deg  I was so glad to have a fast rescue before we cooked. There was no way I could have got the jack in place, let alone use it. With only a gunk kit I would have had to wait a very long time on a Sunday afternoon to get a Caravan Club Red Flag rescue with a useable wheel. (The post-mortem on that was that previous owner had kerbed it at some stress and broken the cords) (how is anyone to know?) it is a game of chance. I have never been a gambler. I can not pick winners on the Grand National. Deciding on spare wheels is very much the same dilemma.

1 hour ago, Terry10 said:

I am 76.

I’m a mere 82. 

29 minutes ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

I’m a mere 82. 

Wow, You made me feel like a child then. Seriously it's a difficult one and only you can know what's best for you.

good luck with it

Terry

• Like 1

In case any of this helps, when I had my RAV4 I bought a full size spare wheel and was very glad I did.

From October to March it ran on Vredestein Quatrac 5 SUV All Seasons, which were swapped to the stock summer tyres the rest of the year (when the latter were down to 3mm I'd have stayed on All Seasons all the time had I kept the RAV long enough).

Twice I got punctures in the shoulder of a Vredestein, and because they were not run of the mill it took ten days to get replacements both times.  I would not have been happy using the space saver all that time had I not had the full size spare (although I was pleased for the extra peace of mind from having it in the boot ([instead of its normal home in my garage!]) until the replacements arrived.  If I'd relied on a Tyre Repair Kit I'd have been in real trouble!

Another hard lesson was when I had a nail in a tyre that should have been repairable.  The AA man said he could put a 'bung' in which would get me to my dealer, and was good for up to 50 miles at up to 50 mph.  I wished I'd held out for him to put the spare on, because my dealer said he'd used an 8mm bung, and they could only do vulcanised repairs with 6mm plugs.  The tyre had no measurable wear, so that was £150 down the drain!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links