Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reverse sensors

David Secker

When I ordered my Corolla Cross Hybrid in 2023 I had to add reverse sensors as they were not fitted ex factory. When I took delivery in 2024 the original date was moved out due to the dealer experiencing problems getting them to work. Two weeks after taking delivery I discovered that the reverse lights were not working. At the one month service I reported the defect and was told that a part needed to be purchased from Japan. I was told that it would take a couple of months before the part would arrive. After driving the vehicle without reverse for a while I realised I was actually driving a unroadworthy vehicle and that my insurance provider could reject a claim if I was involved in an accident. The dealership then disconnected the reverse sensors and connected the reverse lights. It is 2 months since my sensors were disconnected and I requested a update this week and was told that I could expect the “harness “ to arrive in early October.

Are there any club members who are or have experienced this problem.

I'm pretty sure reversing lights are deemed 'optional', therefore afaik it isn't illegal not to have them, but I wouldn't go and disconnect mine.

18 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

afaik it isn't illegal not to have them

May be different where the OP resides (IP address indicates Australia).

55 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Ah, well pointed out.

I had a look at the MOT rules for UK. If I'm interpreting it correctly, there must be a working reversing lamp on cars registered since 2009, except when it's a daylight-only vehicle, i.e. no tail lights or headlight (this is usually vehicles that are used on track days).

• Like 1

You might want to speak to the MOT tester who passed my RCZ with an inop reversing light 😄

I noticed the night before reversing on to the drive, but didn't have time to replace the bulb.

Unless it was a typical Peugeot problem. It only worked when you smacked it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

I had a look at the MOT rules for UK. If I'm interpreting it correctly, there must be a working reversing lamp on cars registered since 2009, except when it's a daylight-only vehicle, i.e. no tail lights or headlight (this is usually vehicles that are used on track days).

In the UK, yes. 

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

20 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I was aware, I just found the question of legislative requirements here in the UK interesting. Sorry that it doesn't help the OP.

i always thought if a light was fitted it had to work for the MOT

They are only inspected for mot from 1st sept 2009 , major fail if inoperative

In Australia its mandate from 1st July 1973 , It is an offense to operate a vehicle without functioning reverse lights or with reverse lights that do not comply with the prescribed requirements. Same as the UK if found on the road with faulty reversing lights its a offence

9 hours ago, twintopp said:

I think that used it only apply to mandatory lights. I remember having a Lambretta scooter in the 60’s with extra spotlights that were never wired up (you’d never charge the matchbox Battery if you used them). They were never included in an mot.

15 hours ago, twintopp said:

I think it's about whether the vehicle is daylight-only or not. A normal vehicle would need to have a working headlight, tail lights etc., but other stuff surplus to requirements such as spot lights would not be tested. You can declare daylight-use only and pass the MOT without any lights but, in that case, they've all got to be either removed or permanently blanked off (even the brake lights, bizarrely).

All of the above refers to the UK MOT test, not the legislative requirements in the OP's country of residence. 😇

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links