Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear window new version

PAISLEY1903

My wife is thinking of purchasing design 1.8 latest version

When in showroom obviously seen the no rear wiper and explanation that it isn't required from staff.

I have been pondering on this and wondered if a current user could answer my concerns (maybe too strong a word).

- what is it genuinely like with heavy rain to see out back. 

- I read here the rear window spray lever can clear rear camera. How does this work in relation to clearing back window if its dirty (with no wiper)

1 hour ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

My wife is thinking of purchasing design 1.8 latest version

When in showroom obviously seen the no rear wiper and explanation that it isn't required from staff.

I have been pondering on this and wondered if a current user could answer my concerns (maybe too strong a word).

- what is it genuinely like with heavy rain to see out back. 

- I read here the rear window spray lever can clear rear camera. How does this work in relation to clearing back window if its dirty (with no wiper)

IMHO it's no different to any other hatchback/saloon.  The rain runs/blows off when driving at higher speeds but covers the glass at slow speeds, thus reducing visibility.  It doesn’t get anywhere near as dirty as it does on cars/vans with more vertical rear windows tho.

The spray thing is only for models with the digital rear view mirror (not fitted on the Design).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, it depends entirely on the shape of the rear of the vehicle. My current car is a Corolla estate; it has a near-vertical tailgate & rear window that is overhung by a spoiler and this car really benefits from having a rear wiper, because lots of spray collects on the window that won't clear by itself.

My last car was a Skoda Superb hatchback and that had a very rakish rear window. On that car, a rear wiper was not necessary at all IMHO because it always blew itself clear and the tailgate lip at the base of the window prevented most spray from collecting. In fact, when ordering that car, a rear wiper was available as a no-cost option and I chose not to have it just to keep the appearance clean. Never regretted the decision, but I was lucky: It takes a bit of experience living with the car to really know if the need exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both. Happy with that 

I have had my C-HR since the end of May. When the car has been parked up overnight and it has been rained on, (which seems to happen quite a lot!), the rear window is covered in rain drops - obviously. My first 3 miles or so are on narrow country lanes and the raindrops do move a bit. Once I hit the main road, (I say main road, as two cars can pass each other), the rear window is quite adept at clearing a lot of the rain. When driving at 30 mph+, it does quite a good job of keeping itself reasonably clear. I have found that I do not miss having a rear wiper. One thing I keep promising myself, just to see if makes much of a difference, is to coat the rear window in something like 'Rain-X', or whatever it is called, but I just have not got round to it yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No issues with either the rear window or the lack of a wiper. The reversing camera is great and after having the glass coated with Gtechniq coatings, the water simply beads off 👍

Always best to test drive one first though 🤔

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

I have had my C-HR since the end of May. When the car has been parked up overnight and it has been rained on, (which seems to happen quite a lot!), the rear window is covered in rain drops - obviously. My first 3 miles or so are on narrow country lanes and the raindrops do move a bit. Once I hit the main road, (I say main road, as two cars can pass each other), the rear window is quite adept at clearing a lot of the rain. When driving at 30 mph+, it does quite a good job of keeping itself reasonably clear. I have found that I do not miss having a rear wiper. One thing I keep promising myself, just to see if makes much of a difference, is to coat the rear window in something like 'Rain-X', or whatever it is called, but I just have not got round to it yet.

Good idea

2 hours ago, CassUK said:

No issues with either the rear window or the lack of a wiper. The reversing camera is great and after having the glass coated with Gtechniq coatings, the water simply beads off 👍

Always best to test drive one first though 🤔

Do you have design or excel Version?

8 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Do you have design or excel Version?

No the GR Sport model but the glass and roof spoiler design are the same 👍

IMG_3222.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CassUK said:

No the GR Sport model but the glass and roof spoiler design are the same 👍

IMG_3222.png

Love it !

• Like 1

I had some misgivings on that rear window design in the new CHR PHEV however I have discovered its totally unjustified. The demister works really well and rain does not really impact on clear vision. Also the window size criticised by some is totally unfounded unless you have a problem with your sight. 

I think it is safer to have a rear screen wiper.  I use my door mirrors quite a lot, but still find times when a clean rear screen with good visibility is needed.  Like the removal of the spare wheel, manufacturers will make any excuse to justify removal of an item to save themselves a bit of cash.

• Like 2

Dont have that problem with my CHR PHEV despite the fact it has not got a wiper. However have not tried it in snowy conditions but i would always clear gunk from obstructed windows manually anyway before starting off. Also i get the impression that the rear windscreen design on the new CHR prevents accumulation of water etc because of airflow etc.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links