Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CVT

wildtapholer

I'm starting to have a problem with my left leg now, is there any known faults with the CVT gear box if I go down the auto route.

• Like 1

Its an E-CVT on the C-HR hybrids & its practically bombproof. 

• Like 3

the hybrid eCVT is well-proven it has been in the Pruis since 1999 in many forms, and the Yaris since 2012, Auris/Corolla since 2010, and the multidrive cvt is a good box (Aisin) in the Mk3 yaris just look after it - the hybrids do command a premium tho over the manual cars, the Multidrive cars sit somewhere in the middle

prices have shot up in the last 5 years, so you may suffer a bit of price shock, it all depends on your budget

• Like 2

The wife has a Yaris and I have a Lexus CT200h, which I'm struggling to get in and out of and plus the left leg problem we were thinking of going down to one car, is the Lexus CT200h the same box what's in the CH-R Hybrid and the 1.2 petrol.

31 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

The wife has a Yaris and I have a Lexus CT200h, which I'm struggling to get in and out of and plus the left leg problem we were thinking of going down to one car, is the Lexus CT200h the same box what's in the CH-R Hybrid and the 1.2 petrol.

The Lexus CT200h is, essentially, a Toyota Prius - it has the 1.8L hybrid system with the eCVT transmission. So, it is an 'automatic'. I assume that your 'concern' is that it is 'low' which creates accessibility issues?

A modern C-HR is equipped with the same 1.8L hybrid system with the eCVT transmission or, alternatively the 2.0L equivalent. As I understand, the older 1.2T auto is a CVT box but not the eCVT.

Your other 'easy access' option might be the Yaris Cross (or Lexus LBX).

• Like 1

Toyota have been making CVT and eCVT transmissions for 25 years so I suspect they have sorted reliability. I have never heard of any problems with them especially in recent years. New York taxi drivers used RAV4’s so I guess they are pretty durable. 

• Like 1

Or Lexus ux , essentially a Corolla hatch 2.0 hybrid ecvt raised of the ground a bit and with a better sound insulation. 

Try and get a Toyota hybrid - the HSD (aka the *hurk* eCVT) is the best automatic 'gearbox' on the market; No belts or friction surfaces subjected to wear, no shift delay, no slippage, instantly responds to changes in torque demand like hills, and it's been refined to such an OCD level that only the japanese can do :laugh:  It was already reliable in its original incarnation, and it's only been improved from there.

(With the new ones not just reliable but punchy too! :naughty: )

• Like 2

I have full confidence in the Lexus CT200H CVT box but like a lot of people I don't use it enough, and have had to put a Battery pack on it a couple of times now as it doesn't get used that much, when I called the AA man out for a no power, none start he showed me what to do, that's why I asked about the CH-R 1.2 CVT petrol , if I went down the Hybrid route I would have the same problem, not used enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildtapholer said:

I have full confidence in the Lexus CT200H CVT box but like a lot of people I don't use it enough, and have had to put a battery pack on it a couple of times now as it doesn't get used that much, when I called the AA man out for a no power, none start he showed me what to do, that's why I asked about the CH-R 1.2 CVT petrol , if I went down the Hybrid route I would have the same problem, not used enough.

Cvt transmission made by Toyota are as good as cvt can be so you don’t need to worry about it. 
The people who get into trouble with these are the one who abused these cars by driving like on rally and failed to maintain on time. 
For all others no problems at all. 👌

• Like 1

Think you need to replace original Battery and put in the biggest Ah Battery whichever car you get. 

iirc late 2018/early 2019 was the last of the 1.2 most of them are manual

Depending on your budget a Aygo X CVT auto 1.0 (about the size of the Mk3 yaris) or Yaris cross (all 1.5 hybrid) but these are both from 2021 onwards

CT200h is just a posh Auris, engine and box shared with the Prius and many others

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Think you need to replace original battery and put in the biggest Ah battery whichever car you get. 

When I said I didn't use it much I talking about once a month and less than 3000 miles a year, I don't think a bigger Battery will help leaving it standing that long, reading about all the complaints about flat batteries after coming back from holiday.

6 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

When I said I didn't use it much I talking about once a month and less than 3000 miles a year, I don't think a bigger battery will help leaving it standing that long, reading about all the complaints about flat batteries after coming back from holiday.

Do you have any way of parking the vehicle so a Battery conditioning charger could be connected? 

It's better to take a taxi once a month or hire a car. 

• Like 2

If you're basically saying you want to replace your car with the same one but with the CVT auto instead of a hybrid, then yeah that should be fine too. The Toyota belt-driven CVTs are the most reliable in the industry (I'd go as far to say as the only reliable ones in the industry if Nissan and other marques are anything to go by :laugh: ).

I don't think I've read a single post about one failing on here, which is frankly amazing! :eek: 

But even the Mk3 Yaris hybrid I don't think has 12v Battery issues.

The issue was primarily with the Mk4 Yaris hybrids, and largely because the batteries were bad from the get-go (I blame the turkish manufacturer and covid), but I haven't heard any issues with the newer models so I think it's mostly been sorted as the bad batch of batteries has been cycled out.

Still, with such low mileage you probably don't want to spend too much on a car, and the hybrid efficiency would be wasted, so the normal petrol CVT is probably the better idea.

• Like 2

Perhaps a non hybrid it’s never option especially if you have plans to keep this car for as long as possible. 
The reason is not just the auxiliary Battery but owners should think about the hybrid Battery too. 
Any Battery in any car or device with the time ages and will lose capacity and die. It’s not even a mileage think but more like a years. 
For example, if you buy a brand new Toyota hybrid and start driving a lot 50-60k a year and more, the hybrid battery will last you easily 450k miles or even more, where if you buy a 10 years old hybrid with 120000 miles the hybrid battery will be on its end life. 
Any battery is replaceable but does cost money. 
Best car for those who drives occasionally and not that many miles is petrol car , smaller the better. Manual or reliable auto it’s just fine. And if the battery dies it’s easier and cheaper to replace. 
+1 for the op choice for a non hybrid car. 

• Like 3

The problem with any car is not whether it's hybrid or not but more that certain car systems drain the 12v Battery, keyless entry being the main culprit... This can bet set to stop searching for keys after 24/48 hours I believe by dealers. 

Trying to find a CH-R 1.2 petrol CVT with under 70k is nigh on impossible, most are above 100K, the only one I did find was at the other end of the country with less than 70k and the nearest one to me with 72K miles was a £1000 above market value and 15k miles above average mileage, I'll have to get some therapy on my left leg at this rate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links