Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The premium fuel chestnut.

anchorman

7 hours ago, MikeSh said:

That's a daft comparison. How much more is it than the Tesco E10? (Usually from the same pump.)

In Glasgow currently, 7p/l  or ~5%.

5 hours ago, skidlid said:

What is an E6 engine. Only fuel round these parts is E5 and E10.

When we had modern diesels we used the cheapest supermarket fuel and like with petrols no issues. In 10 years of having cars with DPF's (Euro 4 and Euro 5) not a single issue.

Same applies with diesel Paul, it’s even more important with an E6 (Euro 6) engine.   You do what you want, it’s no skin off my nose.  

Just finished watching the video now and what he explains about the friction modifiers in the fuel, and how these help reduce friction with each fuel injected. It does make sense and explains to me why when using E5 premium fuel the engine is so much quieter. With E10 it is noisier and sluggish due to the extra friction. 
And what extra friction means is more heat and more wear. 

12 hours ago, anchorman said:

You do what you want, it’s no skin off my nose.  

Indeed. But until I can feel any benefit I will stick to E10. In our older car which has been on E5 since 95 RON became E10 in August/September 2021 (because of the pumps/seals) the car has driven no better and the mpg has only improved from 35.58 mpg (from 2009 to August 2021) to 35.82 mpg (from August 2021 to August 2024) despite some posters claiming to have seen huge improvements. It should be noted that between 2008 and 2021 the car did several trackdays which would have lowered the figures for that period, probably single figures for the day (but low miles - probably about 60 miles a day).

23 hours ago, skidlid said:

Last weekend put some E5 in at the nearest Shell and it was £1.65 a litre. Yesterday at Tesco E10 was £1.34 a litre. That is £1.41 a gallon extra for no benefit whatsoever on new cars.

As i said below i use Tesco Momentum 99 (E5)  its only 9 pence a gallon more than Shell E10

I use Tesco Momentum 99 (E5) its only 2 pence a litre more than my local garages E10 so in my view worth the extra.

Could you tell us what qualifications you have to tell us we are gaining no benefit whatsoever by using premium unleaded.

I would rather take advice on fuels coming from people who know what the are talking about   😉

My nephew is a a senior race engineer with United Racing (half owned by McLaren) and former owner of his own team racing Minis and Chevrolet. He is senior engineer for one of United’s LMP teams. He drives an M2 Beemer and always uses Vpower type petrol, he wouldn’t use anything else whatever the car. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MikeSh said:

That's a daft comparison. How much more is it than the Tesco E10? (Usually from the same pump.)

Why us it a daft comparison i am pointing out you don't need to spend a fortune to get the benefits of Shell V-power you can get the same benefits for nearly the same cost as Shell E10 by using Tesco momentum 99 E5 

13 minutes ago, Yaris_Cross said:

Why us it a daft comparison i am pointing out you don't need to spend a fortune to get the benefits of shell V-power you can get the same benefits for nearly the same cost as Shell E10 by using Tesco momentum 99 E5 

Or you could save on E10 by using Tesco instead of Shell. It's like saying Tesco oranges are only 2p more than Waitrose apples. 

For value comparisons you need to take the same product across different sellers, OR different products from the same seller. In any comparison, changing more than one variable makes the result debatable - which is why these petrol debates are eternal because it's impossible reduce the variables down to just the fuel.

11 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Just finished watching the video now and what he explains about the friction modifiers in the fuel, and how these help reduce friction with each fuel injected. It does make sense and explains to me why when using E5 premium fuel the engine is so much quieter. With E10 it is noisier and sluggish due to the extra friction. 
And what extra friction means is more heat and more wear. 

Just be aware those friction modifiers are *just* for the injectors (And maybe the fuel pump) but play no part in e.g. cylinder lubrication - Only the normal engine oil does that!

It's one reason diesels (used to be) more reliable, as diesel fuel is a lubricant too, but petrol (and worse, ethanol) are solvents and reduce lubrication when they mix with engine oil.

Fortunately, they are more volatile too so hopefully won't mix as much as tends to happen with diesel!

25 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

For value comparisons you need to take the same product across different sellers

I don't need to do anything i have explained what i posted i do not need to go further feel free to fill in the gaps if you must. 

• Like 1

The handbook for my C-HR says to use 95 or higher Octane for optimum engine performance, so this means the E5 symbol where other octane rating isn’t available.   I mainly fill up at my local Tesco station where, I believe, the E5 is about 3p/litre dearer than the E10.   I am getting such good mpg results that I am not concerned about that small difference in price, and I am happy with the thought that I am working in the best interests of my vehicle.

I think, regardless of whether you use E5 or E10 fuel, correct use of the hybrid facility is the main player in how you obtain maximum fuel economy.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Just be aware those friction modifiers are *just* for the injectors (And maybe the fuel pump) but play no part in e.g. cylinder lubrication - Only the normal engine oil does that!

It's one reason diesels (used to be) more reliable, as diesel fuel is a lubricant too, but petrol (and worse, ethanol) are solvents and reduce lubrication when they mix with engine oil.

Fortunately, they are more volatile too so hopefully won't mix as much as tends to happen with diesel!

Actually not only for injectors but for the cylinder walls and pistons rings and this is what he explained in the video with each fuel injection ( intake stroke and compression stroke) the fuel slips through the rings and mixes with the oil. These tiny gaps the oil is so slightly different from what is down the oil pan, because it is mixed with fuel. And with each fuel injected if it’s premium one you get these extra friction modifiers that mixes with oil and reduce friction.
Many drivers can’t  tell a difference between  premium fuel and standard fuel, but I can and not only in my car but on all cars., known or unknown.
I just need to change fuels and the difference in engine noise and performance comes very apparent to me.

• Like 2

I use Snake Oil in my cars.  It's a very good additive which doubles the mileage to around 125mpg.
The engine is so quiet, that I can hardly hear it runnng, and it should extend the life of my vehicles to around 1,000,000 miles without an oil change.  It's really unbelievable.

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

The handbook for my C-HR says to use 95 or higher Octane for optimum engine performance, so this means the E5 symbol where other octane rating isn’t available.

The lowest RON fuel sold in the UK is 95 thus any fuel will be fine to gain the "optimum engine performance".

Its why we use supermarket 95 RON E10 fuel, meets the requirements of Toyota and Skoda.

• Like 2

Coming from old manual diesels for the last 20 years this is interesting I'd been sheltered from the petrol changes. I'll have to have a proper read up of the thread.

I've only done one fill up so far in my Cross - I put Tesco 99 in as it's readily available for me. I'm pending a 2nd now. I guess while I'm still working out how to make best use of the hybrid side I'll use that for now but I don't know if I'll end up dropping back to standard Tesco when the novelty wears off. In which case it might end up being a 1 in 5 or something like that unless I notice a marked difference in mpg on my journeys.

• Like 2

I use a very scientific method to decide which grade of fuel to use. I normally fill up at a small village petrol station which has only two pumps. If there's someone blocking the E5 pump I fill up with E10, or if there's someone at the E10 pump I fill up with E5 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find all these discussions as to whether E5 is better than E10 rather interesting. As has been pointed out previously, in Ireland, we have no choice in petrol grades - we can only get E10 and it has been this way for over a year.

This from AA Ireland is quite interesting, sort of, -

https://www.theaa.ie/blog/new-e10-fuel-is-there-a-cause-for-concern/

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links