Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid and regenerative braking

Aldino

I received information that regenerative braking is not healthy for the hybrid Battery and that braking does more damage to the Battery than help. Do you agree with that? 

No, rubbish intel.

• Like 3

Just fear mongering from ignorant haters, FUD we called it in the computer world! A strong tactic to use against competitors!

You could say braking is more damaging in a normal car as it causes excessive and catastrophic wear on the brake pads and discs, leading them to terminally fail much earlier! :eek: :fear: 

:laugh: 

• Like 1

Maybe it is, but, can't make an omlette without 'braking' eggs. 🫣😇

At the same time, we might as well point out that combustion is bad for the engine.

Regenerative braking supplies power to the hybrid Battery, which it is designed to do.  Why on earth should that be detrimental to the Battery?  

The argument is if the Battery is fully charged, where does the regenerative energy go? There is a discussion referring to this on Caravan Talk being the reason why hybrids have low tow weight limits. Personally I think it b8ll8cks given some PHEV and HEV’s have quite high towing limits. 

Toyota thought of that - It gets dumped into MG1, which spins the ICE to waste it, similar to what you'd do in a normal car by shifting to a lower gear to engine-brake, or if you put it in B-mode.

I was told at a Toyota dealership that Toyota hybrid batteries never fully charge, and that this makes them safe from catching fire.  I have run with the schematic circuit showing on screen, and my hybrid Battery never reaches fully charged.

4 hours ago, Haliotis said:

I was told at a Toyota dealership that Toyota hybrid batteries never fully charge, and that this makes them safe from catching fire.  I have run with the schematic circuit showing on screen, and my hybrid battery never reaches fully charged.

Exactly, there is an upper (and lower) charge buffer zone in all good hybrids and EV’s. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links