Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wow! The new PHEV has faster boot opening and closing!

Nick72

One of the annoying things (there aren't many) of the 2021 to 2023 PHEV is the time it took to open and close the boot. You know, you press the button and grab a brew then read a book and by then it's open. Or when you've taken your gear out the boot and you just want it closed so you can lock the car but instead there's time for the wife to tell you about her day before you can actually lock the car.

What a result!

This is life changing. No longer is there time to listen to my wife about her day whilst it closes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

At 1.5 seconds difference that could work out to be a large part of one's life stood at the back of a Rav 4 .

Bit like watching paint dry. 😎. I will let someone else work that one out!
Terry

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Terry10 said:

At 1.5 seconds difference that could work out to be a large part of one's life stood at the back of a Rav 4 .

Bit like watching paint dry. 😎. I will let someone else work that one out!
Terry

Over 30% faster Terry. I'll take it! 😜 

• Like 1

I wonder if the parts are different 🤔 rather than someone just updated a config line in the software...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom_w said:

I wonder if the parts are different 🤔 rather than someone just updated a config line in the software...

It's probably no more than a software change. Give the motor a little more current on a controller. I'll take it. It's something you do over and over so if it's about a third quicker I'm in. 

I've not managed to confirm it but I also heard the keyless touch to lock and unlock also works on the rear doors. If so then that's another bonus.

5 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Over 30% faster Terry. I'll take it! 😜 

Joking apart, it is annoying it being so slow. On a rainy day with a shopping trolley I tend to pull the key fob out of my pocket as I push said trolley across the car park and unlock the tailgate as I approach. You can actually press the close button and be sat in the car putting the seat belt on before it finishes closing 🙄🙄🤷🏻.

Terry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Joking apart, it is annoying it being so slow. On a rainy day with a shopping trolley I tend to pull the key fob out of my pocket as I push said trolley across the car park and unlock the tailgate as I approach. You can actually press the close button and be sat in the car putting the seat belt on before it finishes closing 🙄🙄🤷🏻.

Terry

It's definitely on the could be better list. Probably why they've done it, including touch access on the rear door handles (if that made it to the UK). 

Other annoying thing is the time it takes fromm pressing start to being able to drive off (do it too soon and get the hydride system warning) or see the Infotainment screen with the overly long Warning message about driving and pressing buttons. Now made even longer with the need to disable the non-permanent disabled over speed warnings. 

I'm on a roll now... The other annoying thing being the moon roof only opening about 8 inches. That's less most cars with a pan roof. And then there's the VHS long play quality reversing camera. It's not 1984 anymore Toyota. 

🤣

Has this been verified on UK cars? those are USA cars made in Kentucky, there are often spec, and therefore component and software differences on the US ones. I have seen aftermarket electronics that work on Japan built cars but not US.

And yes, its really annoying, it would be helpful if you could blip lock straight after pressing boot shut and it remembered the command and locked up when it finished shutting. But no you have to stand in the doorway waiting for it to both close and then do the leisurely boot locking wirrrrrrrr..clunk, then you can lock the bloomin car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Has this been verified on UK cars? those are USA cars made in Kentucky, there are often spec, and therefore component and software differences on the US ones. I have seen aftermarket electronics that work on Japan built cars but not US.

And yes, its really annoying, it would be helpful if you could blip lock straight after pressing boot shut and it remembered the command and locked up when it finished shutting. But no you have to stand in the doorway waiting for it to both close and then do the leisurely boot locking wirrrrrrrr..clunk, then you can lock the bloomin car.

It's a possibility. I'll know tomorrow after the car swap over. I'll time it. 

Good shout on the remembering thing. Yes I think they should have done that but then again I like to see it has locked. 

45 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

It's a possibility. I'll know tomorrow after the car swap over. I'll time it. 

Good shout on the remembering thing. Yes I think they should have done that but then again I like to see it has locked. 

Yeah I like to see the mirrors are in, but then if I forget the app starts nagging me so I can relax. Happy New Car Day!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Yeah I like to see the mirrors are in, but then if I forget the app starts nagging me so I can relax. Happy New Car Day!

I didn't know the App did that! That's cool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I didn't know the App did that! That's cool. 

Its in notifications in the app, several things it can remind you of, like windows left open, doors open or unlocked, even charging related events... I 'think' its related to the key proximity and a timer as there is a few minutes delay usually, if say I have been messing with the car and gone in and out the garage with the car left open, then go in the house, after a short while the app pings that the doors are unlocked.

Surprisingly, but perhaps could save a life, is it can remind you if you left something on the rear seats after leaving the vehicle.. like a sleeping child! (kids do sometimes get forgotten and left in hot cars and even lose their lives so well done Toyota for trying to help avoid that)

• Thanks 1

Is the boot any larger when it finally opens? I had a look at the PHEV Prius when it first came out (I confess not a serious look as I didn't have any intention of buying) but the boot space seemed pathetic.

My current Corolla manages to store all my golf gear (including electric trolley) reasonably well. My brief look at the Prius suggested I'd be lucky if it could hold my shoes and a pair of gloves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Is the boot any larger when it finally opens? I had a look at the PHEV Prius when it first came out (I confess not a serious look as I didn't have any intention of buying) but the boot space seemed pathetic.

My current Corolla manages to store all my golf gear (including electric trolley) reasonably well. My brief look at the Prius suggested I'd be lucky if it could hold my shoes and a pair of gloves.

This is the RAV4 forum ... the boot is quite large ... 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, philip42h said:

This is the RAV4 forum ... the boot is quite large ... 😉

Lol! Now why did I think it was the Prius? Silly me. Yeah the RAV4 would work better for me but I think I'd struggle to get it into my garage. Then again I suspect that's a problem I'm going to face whatever I choose for my next car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rav Rob said:

Its in notifications in the app, several things it can remind you of, like windows left open, doors open or unlocked, even charging related events... I 'think' its related to the key proximity and a timer as there is a few minutes delay usually, if say I have been messing with the car and gone in and out the garage with the car left open, then go in the house, after a short while the app pings that the doors are unlocked.

Surprisingly, but perhaps could save a life, is it can remind you if you left something on the rear seats after leaving the vehicle.. like a sleeping child! (kids do sometimes get forgotten and left in hot cars and even lose their lives so well done Toyota for trying to help avoid that)

That's actually useful. Cheers matey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

Boot is huge on the RAV. Had 3 sets of golf clubs and trollies in there. 

Right, just timed it. Got the RAV4 GRS PHEV on my drive. I'll be bgering about later. The boot opens and closes as fast as in the American video. It's much better. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nick72 said:

Right, just timed it. Got the RAV4 GRS PHEV on my drive. I'll be bgering about later. The boot opens and closes as fast as in the American video. It's much better. 

Yay. Life is... good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Great stuff Nick - have fun…

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 6:55 PM, Nick72 said:

It's probably no more than a software change. Give the motor a little more current on a controller. I'll take it. It's something you do over and over so if it's about a third quicker I'm in. 

I've not managed to confirm it but I also heard the keyless touch to lock and unlock also works on the rear doors. If so then that's another bonus.

keyless touch locking etc at the rear DOES work. But how does your suggestion elsewhere that you can alter the speed of closing work? Can't find that in the manual. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

keyless touch locking etc at the rear DOES work. But how does your suggestion elsewhere that you can alter the speed of closing work? Can't find that in the manual. 

I can't get the keyless unlock lock to work on the rear doors. Is there something to enable somewhere?

Boot opening and closing is 30 to 35% quicker. Confirmed. You can't control the speed as far as I know. But in the settings of the multifunction display you can set the opening height to any of a number of presets. It's under vehicle settings or similar and under PBD which I think is Powered Back Door. It's just an alternative to the Russian Roulette of opening it and making sure you press the button to stop it and or set it. Come close a few times on the multistorey I've parked on 😂

I seemed to remember that there was a setting that had to adjusted in the on-line app to enable some of the door functions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I seemed to remember that there was a setting that had to adjusted in the on-line app to enable some of the door functions.

Looking now Ernie thx

On 9/11/2024 at 7:17 PM, ernieb said:

Apparently the rear doors can't to used to lock and unlock by handle touch on those doors. I was sure I had read somewhere that they were. 

Only option there is is in the Infotainment screen vehicle options. That's to open just drivers door or all doors when smart touch unlock is used.

Few times I've wanted to load or unload from the back seats, keys in pocket, and just want to pull the rear door handle. Trivial I know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links