Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which side is the volume knob on the Infotainment

Nick72

In this Aus (I think but may be wrong) RHD RAV it's nearest the driver, which is great. But I've also seen RHD RAVs with it on the left. Which side did the UK end up with?

2023+ models with the new infotainment display.

20240717_231330.jpg

It would appear to be on the left-hand side:

image.thumb.png.163d20a4ffdd9e177d1389831cf15c34.png

as, indeed, it is on our cars currently IIRC.

I've seen 'complaints' that all the menu functions are also pinned to the left-hand side of the screen.

• Like 1

Yep left. Can't say I've ever used it - just relying on the steering wheel buttons. 
The toyota menus are left hand side too which is a bit silly, but as I use AA (which places apps on right side) I rarely interface with it. 

• Like 1

As a UK driver, I don't think I've ever seen a car stereo with volume on the right. It's always been on the left, which I assume is a throwback to the old generic analogue radios with two knobs; left for volume and right for tuning. Was a bit of a stretch if you owned a Mini ( a real mini, i mean).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

As a UK driver, I don't think I've ever seen a car stereo with volume on the right.

Volume on the right since 2019. 

Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 08.43.25.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Honestly never encountered it. Then again, I usually find it on the steering wheel in recent years, so wouldn't get round to using it on hire cars etc. I only have the experience of what I've owned.

• Like 1

uk/eu spec is on the right, iirc The AU spec cars are the same as the JDM ones - stalks, right lights and left wipers

• Like 2

So are we saying left for the UK but right in Aus? Why do it differently on two RHD cars?

Tis an easy explanation for volume on the left. 
its for the passengers benefit. 
we as drivers can access the volume from the steering wheel (as others have stated) 

but

if our passenger wants to lower or increase volume they have to reach over to our side rather than having the dial close to them.

consider a left volume button as maintaining family harmony. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul john said:

we as drivers can access the volume from the steering wheel (as others have stated) 

but

if our passenger wants to lower or increase volume they have to reach over to our side rather than having the dial close to them.

So why is it on the right in Aus? They drive on the same side of the road as us in RHD vehicles. 

1 hour ago, Paul john said:

but

And why then is it on the left in Europe and the USA on LHD vehicles, which is opposite to your logic?

2 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

So why is it on the right in Aus? They drive on the same side of the road as us in RHD vehicles. 

Meh its in the “mind” of the architect. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

And why then is it on the left in Europe and the USA on LHD vehicles, which is opposite to your logic?

Meh its in the “mind” of the architect. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, flash22 said:

uk/eu spec is on the right, iirc The AU spec cars are the same as the JDM ones - stalks, right lights and left wipers

I had to check just to make sure I've not completely lost the plot (yet,) but mine is definitely the traditional Volume/Power left, tuning right (as if anyone actually still dials in a frequency using the knob these days.:rolleyes:) 21MY RHD car, UK spec, built in Burnaston with the standard Panasonic unit.

• Like 1

Not a problem with mine being on the left, mine is a left hooker😜

• Haha 1

On the left on my MY22 RAV4 & on the right on my wife's MY21 Yaris. Catches me out every time!

• Like 2

I wonder what the logic is. Left, right, left, right.

Personally I prefer right on a RHD. I don't want any passenger touching my buttons on my car. 😂 But more seriously there's an ergonomic issue for me. I'm 6ft3 so I set the seat back a way. And I have lean to use the knob on the left hand side. Same with the other controls to the left of the screen and on the screen but on the left. 

I prefer the dial to quickly turn up or down volume than faffing for where it is on the wheel and pressing the button repeatedly or spinning the wheel to see where it ends up by holding it down. 

On 7/18/2024 at 12:48 PM, Paul john said:

My 2016 volume is on the right too

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

They drive on the same side in RHD vehicles. Why then is the volume button more usefully on the right than in the UK when it's on the left and I'm constantly straining across to reach it? Could Toyota not be ****ed and just did what they do for Europe?

Here...

I recall this very subject was already discussed recently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

I recall this very subject was already discussed recently.

Good shout. Did we conclude on the why Toyota are randomly moving the volume left or right in what seems like the UK only?

The volume control should be easiest to access by the person who wishes to use it - got to be the passenger who wants to change what the driver has set from the steering wheel controls hasn't it?

• Like 1

Probably down to production  - depending on model, easier to have one multimedia unit for Europe, whether that's a left volume knob or right.

• Like 1

Yes it's annoying every time I reach across to use that button or those icons on the screen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Probably down to production  - depending on model, easier to have one multimedia unit for Europe, whether that's a left volume knob or right.

But I think the unit in Europe has JBL on it which confused me. UK one on the GRS doesn't. I could be wrong. Unless the JBL thing is a stick on item?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links