Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X-play 2016 Mrk2 radio upgrade?

Bluefusion

My daughter is picking up her Toyota Aygo X-play 2016 and comes with the basic radio (see image)

Looking at this forum I can see there are 2 newer touch screen units:

- satnav (2 buttons)

- AirPlay (3 buttons)

I can see plenty of people have upgraded from the satnav to AirPlay units without issues, my question, is it possible to upgrade from the base model she has to either of these touch screen units, and is it an easy swap out (plug and play) without having to rewire, or would I be getting in over my head?

I can see some of the satnav units seem to be around £80 on eBay.

thanks

IMG_5838.jpeg

Correction:

1. The 2 button version (86140-0H020) DOES NOT come with Sat Nav.  It is just like the basic version but with a touch screen and reverse camera.

2. The 3 button version (86140-YV020) DOES NOT come with Airplay.  It comes with Wired Android Auto and Wired Apple CarPlay.

As far as the wiring goes, the plugs are the same.  However, your daughter's car doesn't seem to have a reverse camera NOR there is a wiring loom for it.  So adding a reverse camera would be slightly challenging.  And I wonder how the head unit would behave if you put the car in reverse (Black screen or Does nothing?)

If you truly want to add satnav to the car, the cheapest option would be a phone holder.

Next step up would be aftermarket.

The wired CarPlay / Android Auto we are talking about £500 ish.

• Like 2

Also, as Vince says the 2 button unit needs an additional satnav module for that to work. It used a now defunct/unsupported software called 'mirrorlink' which only supported by a few early Android and Iphones, mention it incase you see it talked about. The 2 button unit can only do basic phone tasks, so if you want more as said best use your phone itself.

Hence why the 3 button unit with carplay and android auto came along, but nowadays this is a popular upgrade so finding a cheap 3 button unit is hard as seller's know their worth. You could try a main dealer just incase with it being an older model they doing any deals, as remember someone mentioned they got new one for similar Mk2 Citroen C1 cheaper than 2nd hand. Then again, aftermarket is another option, depending on what functionality you need and your budget.  

Also, if you want DAB you will need a DAB aerial, fitting a stock DAB is bit involved removing dash etc, but think I remember someone just used aftermarket aerial and it worked ok. Also, if you want a reverse camera you can get an adapter and aftermarket camera quite cheaply and they fairly easy to fit, added one to our Mk2 Peugeot 108 with 2 button touchscreen and it works very well considering.

• Like 2

Thank you both for your replies.

the three button airplay version would be out of our budget at £500 and we’re just looking to gain a better experience than the stock one it comes with, which I’m assuming the two button version would give and understand the satnav and dab features wouldn’t work. 

i can see two button version is around £70/80 on eBay and as long as it is a simple swap like for like on the cables I may give this a go - thanks.

In my opinion, it would be pointless upgrading from basic to 3 button version.  Because all you'll gain is:

1. Touch Screen to select your music folder etc 
  2. DAB radio which required a DAB antenna
  3. Reverse Camera which you'll need to add a camera to the rear bumper

The touch screen interface... I would say it's amongst the worst I've seen.  No support for Asian characters.  Then the USB drive, it kept going back to the same track for unknown reason.  (Maybe some of my K-pop song messed it up).

If you really wanted the 2 button version, I can send you mine.  I've upgraded to Pioneer SPH-DA360DAB and the old stock head unit is sitting in the cupboard collecting spider web.

• Like 2

Thanks Vandals01 I’ve dropped you a message. We were looking to get a third party reverse camera added as well ( need to look at what the best option for this would be too) but another reason for looking to upgrade the unit.

On 9/8/2024 at 10:05 PM, Vandals01 said:

In my opinion, it would be pointless upgrading from basic to 3 button version.  Because all you'll gain is:

1. Touch Screen to select your music folder etc 
  2. DAB radio which required a DAB antenna
  3. Reverse Camera which you'll need to add a camera to the rear bumper

The touch screen interface... I would say it's amongst the worst I've seen.  No support for Asian characters.  Then the USB drive, it kept going back to the same track for unknown reason.  (Maybe some of my K-pop song messed it up).

If you really wanted the 2 button version, I can send you mine.  I've upgraded to Pioneer SPH-DA360DAB and the old stock head unit is sitting in the cupboard collecting spider web.

1. touch screen is a must in the day and age

2. not that big of a deal

3. Not difficult to add

4. Adds bluetooth to the car (but you will need to add the factory mic)

No support for Asian characters - sort of a niche issue - it's a European car built in Europe with a lot of PSA input - skipping and track repeat should have been fixed in the 840 firmware on the 2-button

from far the worst system you should see some of Vauhall, ford and volvo's attempts

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links