Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 to 2009 Yaris.

Ceasar812

I've heard that this gen Yaris can get up to 300,000 miles. I'm considering buying an 09. Does anyone have any advise on what the pros and cons there are with this Yaris. Any input would be appreciated.

What are the weak points to the Yaris, and what should I look for when I buy one.

The pre-2009 ones are pretty bullet-proof. If you do get a 2009 one avoid the 1.33L engine as it's prone to oil burning due to weak piston rings and the 6-speed gearbox is a bit fragile. The older 1.3L engine is a lot more reliable.

Just do the usual checks for rust, service history etc.

As long as it's been serviced regularly, there aren't really any super common issues otherwise.

Also avoid the MMT semi auto gearbox - they are nothing but trouble and very prone to failure. They only fitted these to the Mk2, you couldnt get the Mk2 with a standard auto gearbox with torque convertor. Manual is the way to go with the Mk2.

As Cyker says, the earlier 55 reg to 58 reg were the better ones to go for if a 1.3 was wanted, as it used the older type 2SZ-FE engine. After 2009 they changed the 1.3 engine to the new 1.33 1NR-FE, which were prone to failure by 100K miles due to oil burning issues.

I owned a 2006 1.3 Yaris Mk2 for 7 years and the only real annoyance I found with it was the clutch biting point was very low down the pedal travel, and could not be adjusted higher. Otherwise it was an OK car.

• Like 1

What is an mk2? Might sound like a stupid question and what is a mmt gearbox. 

So I should look for an 04 to 08 with a 1.3L engine and auto tyranny. Anything else?

A Mk2 is the second gen Yaris. Made between early 2006 and late 2011. Picture of a Mk2 below.

The MMT transmission is the Automatic trans fitted to the Mk2, and is not recommended now the cars are getting older - they were renowned for being unreliable and costing a lot of money to repair. Manual trans is the better option.

If you want a 1.3, the better option is the 2006 - 2008 model years, as in 2009, the 1.3 engine was replaced for the 1.33 engine which has teething problems with excessive oil burning when they had done higher mileages.

1.0 models all used the same engine for the 2006 - 2011 model years, a 3 cylinder as used in the Aygo / Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1.

IMG_20210427_185405581.jpg

• Like 1

What about the 04 to 07 years. Should I stick with 06 to 08 or is 04 to 08 ok ?

What about the 04 to 07 years. Should I stick with 06 to 08 or is 04 to 08 ok ? Ive got an OBD2 scanner but a novice with this too. are there any codes that are a deal breakers. I really appreciate you guys for your input. It's much appreciated.

13 hours ago, Ceasar812 said:

What is an mk2? Might sound like a stupid question and what is a mmt gearbox. 

Which country are you based in? There were several engine options and body styles of Yaris/Echo/Vitz/Belta from that era. 300k miles might be achieveable if you live in a warmer climate. When I lived abroad as an expat, the only Yaris available was a 1.5 auto saloon.

All xp90 (Mk2) Autos are MMT, late 2005-2008 are best to be avoided if the VIN starts with VNK (french built)

If the car has JT VIN it can be an MMT or a CVT (1.3)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links