Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2024 Smart Connect Map Update

Maxrob

Anyone tried the 2024 Map Update?  I've just had a lovely 24 hours doing this.  I've been watching out for an update, as I've had multiple false 30 mph warnings round here, and the dualling of the A30 was completed 3 months ago, and, lo and behold, appeared in my e-store, Toyota Smart Connect Plus (EU) / Spring 2024 Map Database update.  I followed precisely the Download Instructions for the GR Sport system - MM21 - plugged in a fresh 32 GB USB stick, first formatting it in acordance with the instructions, and then waited some 20 hours, yes 20 hours,  for the 24 GB files to extract!  Then inserted the USB into the car, and the update froze at 20 minutes.  Rushed online to find a solution, stopped the car, restarted with the USB in, and succeeded the 2nd time, the projected 29 minutes on the screen actually taking an hour.  Whatever happened to the simple "bin" folder for an Over The Air Update (OTA)?  Ho Toyota - way to go!!!  I might send this to my friendly Toyota Dealer down the road.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Coincidentally ten minutes ago I completed the same update.And as you say it was taking hours to unzip. I  cancelled the unzip on my memory stick and unzipped the file on the PC and then copied the resultant files on to the memory stick approx 24gb. It still took hours but was certainly faster than unzipping on the memory stick. 

• Like 1

Yes, actually, I thought of doing this - I think the point is, unless you're quite good on computers, doing this update may baffle many.

• Like 1

Hi Maxrob, by coincidence I opened a thread on this subject yesterday:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/223518-toyota-smart-connect-plus-spring-2024-map-database-update/

It is reassuring that you & Yorkboy have eventually installed successfully & I will take note of the unzip issue. Did you find anything online to help resolve the 'froze' issue or do you have any further details on exactly what you did to rectify it? All I can find are issues with last year's update, one of which looked as if a new Head Unit might be needed - but at least would be done under warranty. Hence my nervousness about trying the install.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

I found somewhere online somebody had stopped the car when the update froze, taken out the USB stick, had no navigation with just the "20 min to go" on the screen, which was a bit heart-stopping, then restarted the car, reinserted the USB and the update then completed.  If you're not happy to go ahead, maybe a chat with Toyota Customer Services if you can get through?  Good luck!

Did you format FAT32 on the usb stick?

Apparently newer cars can use OTA to do update so you don't need a usb drive. I tried this but the car said contact dealer. Dealership must have disabled this method.

52 minutes ago, Torrox said:

Did you format FAT32 on the usb stick?

Yes, when I first tried, it didn't recognise the memory stick. I then realised it was formated NTFS. Reformatted it to FAT32 worked perfectly 

• Like 1

Called dealer about map update and they booked mine in.

• Like 1

looks like total ball-ache. If it doesn't do it OTA it can wait for first service in March 2025 - unless I need to visit the dealer earlier because all the Derby paint has fallen off😂

• Like 1

Does the new map update show actual/realtime trafic situation ( car queues etc )

I am just transferring the files to a usb so that i can have a go at this So... for the GR Sport

- from the instructions and them saying to download to a USB I take it the port used in the car is the USB next to the usbc port behind the wireless charge pad

- I take it no activation key is required - none was shown next to the update in purchases. 

- Also in the installation instructions the section for the new system doesn't show selecting countries so is this not needed to be done either?

I'm in two minds as use waze mainly but think I should keep up to date if possible....

• Like 1

Updating the maps in the ‘21 PHEV requires a 16 digit activation key (maybe longer). It can be found where the download button is in the ‘purchase’ history. (From memory)

Yes I read that in the instructions on the first part but there os no code shown next to the download in purchases... then looking at MM21 instructions it doesn't mention it so I'm not sure I'd to go ahead with the update or not....

19 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Updating the maps in the ‘21 PHEV requires a 16 digit activation key (maybe longer). It can be found where the download button is in the ‘purchase’ history. (From memory)

Ok I was getting confused re the different parts in different places - there is jus a standard USB behind the wireless charger... I was forgetting the other one was a converter I have in the lighter socket.... So I thought I'd just have a go at it but all I get is the attached message....

12 hours ago, dkp001 said:

I am just transferring the files to a usb so that i can have a go at this So... for the GR Sport

- from the instructions and them saying to download to a USB I take it the port used in the car is the USB next to the usbc port behind the wireless charge pad

- I take it no activation key is required - none was shown next to the update in purchases. 

- Also in the installation instructions the section for the new system doesn't show selecting countries so is this not needed to be done either?

I'm in two minds as use waze mainly but think I should keep up to date if possible....

20240913_102628~2.jpg

It might be helpful if someone ( @FROSTYBALLS ?) could update the thread title to make clear that it refers to an update for the newer Smart Connect systems rather than the older Touch2 system - this might save some confusion.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dkp001 said:

Ok I was getting confused re the different parts in different places - there is jus a standard USB behind the wireless charger... I was forgetting the other one was a converter I have in the lighter socket.... So I thought I'd just have a go at it but all I get is the attached message....

20240913_102628~2.jpg

OK, so the system appears to have recognised the USB - so it is probably correctly formatted but that would still be the first thing to check - but it doesn't appear to have either the correct data files or the data files in the correct locations. How is the data structured on the USB?

(Since I don't have a Smart Connect system, I can't be sure what the correct structure is ... 😉 )

On 9/9/2024 at 9:14 PM, HSDish said:

Does the new map update show actual/realtime trafic situation ( car queues etc )

No, it won't - the Smart Connect system gets updated local mapping and traffic information from the cloud / online (in a country dependent manner).

You might, instead, be interested in the next Map Care update for your Touch2 system when it becomes available in a month or so ... 😉

Hi thanks for responding - yes formatted as per instructions - bearing other comments in mind I extracted onto my PC then copied onto the USB - files are structured as attached.

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

OK, so the system appears to have recognised the USB - so it is probably correctly formatted but that would still be the first thing to check - but it doesn't appear to have either the correct data files or the data fes in the correct locations. How is the data structured on the USB?

(Since I don't have a Smart Connect system, I can't be sure what the correct structure is ... 😉 

20240913_123725.jpg

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

It might be helpful if someone could update the thread title to make clear that it refers to an update for the newer Smart Connect systems rather than the older Touch2 

Done (although it was mentioned in the first post).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dkp001 said:

Hi thanks for responding - yes formatted as per instructions - bearing other comments in mind I extracted onto my PC then copied onto the USB - files are structured as attached.

20240913_123725.jpg

OK, I next try moving the MAP UPDATE folder to the top level of the USB drive. The structure on the USB drive should exactly match the folder structure within the zip file. (Or at least that was a not uncommon cause of problems with the earlier system.)

It's a simply renaming of folders on the USB drive so should take "mere seconds" to try ... 

On 9/8/2024 at 3:39 PM, Torrox said:

Apparently newer cars can use OTA to do update so you don't need a usb drive. I tried this but the car said contact dealer. Dealership must have disabled this method.

Same problem. Would be nice to know why OTA is a problem.

2 hours ago, dkp001 said:

20240913_102628~2.jpg

Ditto

2 hours ago, dkp001 said:

20240913_102628~2.jpg

Wondering if it needs a data connection other than the inbuilt one. Might connect to home wifi to see if that helps when I get some time.

10 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

Same problem. Would be nice to know why OTA is a problem.

I suspect the 20 GB data charges per vehicle to update the maps & downloads getting interrupted before completing might be the problems.

The current mapping update process works ok.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links