Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2024 Smart Connect Map Update

Maxrob

1 minute ago, forkingabout said:

I suspect the 20 GB data charges per vehicle to update the maps & downloads getting interrupted before completing might be the problems.

The current mapping update process works ok.

agreed, hence me giving it a go with a wifi connection when I get a chance to see if that works.

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

OK, I next try moving the MAP UPDATE folder to the top level of the USB drive. The structure on the USB drive should exactly match the folder structure within the zip file. (Or at least that was a not uncommon cause of problems with the earlier system.)

It's a simply renaming of folders on the USB drive so should take "mere seconds" to try ... 

Thank you - pure genius - I moved the map update folder and contents out of the Navi Map folder then deleted the empty folder, tried again and hey presto! About 40 mins rather than as stated so sat on the drive reading a book but worked a charm!

20240913_133049.jpg

20240913_140611.jpg

• Like 2

I think I have a USB stick with the correct files loaded but have not attempted an install yet although with more people having success I may well try - probably next week.

A couple of points, firstly although I have seen nothing in writing from Toyota the 'electronics techie' at my dealership did a bit of research for me a few months ago and told me that there was a bug in the head unit firmware that was preventing OTA map updates. I don't think I have had any updates to the firmware in the year I have had the car but if anyone knows what is the latest version I'd be grateful to see it - could prompt more questions to Toyota.

Secondly although I'm beginning to think it is not an issue this time, anyone having issues with the install might like to read the post by gonefishing at the below link where he describes an issue he had formatting a USB drive for last year's map update - he needed to change the default setting for Allocation unit size.

https://www.chrforums.uk/threads/smart-connect-new-map-update-available-to-download.4529/ 

3 hours ago, Corolly Poly said:

Wondering if it needs a data connection other than the inbuilt one. Might connect to home wifi to see if that helps when I get some time.

Hi - I don't think it does it just Uploads from the USB - took 40 minute though and had to leave switched on so sat in the car on the drive reading a book so nobody decided to borrow it.... (I may do it more often - it was so peaceful...).  It worked well when I had sorted the folder structure and plugged it into the correct port.... 😂

37 minutes ago, dkp001 said:

Hi - I don't think it does it just Uploads from the USB - took 40 minute though and had to leave switched on so sat in the car on the drive reading a book so nobody decided to borrow it.... (I may do it more often - it was so peaceful...).  It worked well when I had sorted the folder structure and plugged it into the correct port.... 😂

I'm hoping I can get OTA to work.

3 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

I've got more chance of marrying Drew Barrymore 😉

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

I've got more chance of marrying Drew Barrymore 😉

😂

22 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

Good luck!

The Touch 2 system supports OTA map updates for up to four regions. This can be set-up via the My Toyota (website) for your registered vehicle:

image.thumb.png.94424115e68821f00d3bcaaa4fad5a8c.png

However, after a little while - maybe just a year or two - it insists that you update the base map via a USB download before OTA map updates will resume.

The Smart Connect system supports OTA software updates - the Touch 2 would have to go back to the dealer for such things - but I haven't found any evidence that it supports OTA map updates. The guide for OTA map updates states:

New map updates are released twice a year, in Spring and Autumn and you can update your navigation system (Toyota Touch 2 multimedia only) using this simple process.

over-the-air-map-updates.pdf

• Like 1

Honestly it's such a faff. I just used to ask the dealer when it was in for a service or other update. Once they did it, two other times they didn't despite asking. 

I'll continue with the same philosophy as I'll mostly be using Gmaps and Waze anyhoo. 

26 minutes ago, philip42h said:

The Smart Connect system supports OTA software updates but I haven't found any evidence that it supports OTA map updates.

Instead, you get Toyota Smart Connect: Cloud Navigation (I believe):

So, you have a base map - that you can update occasionally via USB - and always up-to-date Cloud Navigation - maps and traffic information.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links