Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla hybrid touring sport on LPG

TonyHSD

Hi all ,

surprise surprise , today I have seen for a first time Corolla TS converted to lpg in High Wycombe. It was a taxi and the place is where I had seen a Prius gen 3 lpg converted taxi previously.
It seems a popular choice and perhaps they have an lpg available around. 
Not sure I fancy this stuff but the taxi trade seems like happy. 

• Like 2

Something like this?
LPG was installed last week. 

IMG_0872.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, T_Driver said:

Something like this?
LPG was installed last week. 

IMG_0872.jpeg

Exactly the same 👌®️

• Like 2

I wonder why they even bother - Someone posted a picture showing LPG is over £1 per unit now so does it even save money any more?!

And it's just asking for engine problems down the line... :unsure:

I do wonder what sort of mpg the hybrids can get out of the lower energy density of LPG...

• Like 3

Well, I just install LPG. Will see how it will going. 4th generation.

We got a lot of LPG cars, different brands.

My previous Corolla 1,6 (97 kW) now got mileage 285k kms, LPG was installed on 70k kms. No any problems with engine. Yes, sure, that car was not hybrid.

Will see, hope 100k kms will be with out engine repair.

P.S. LPG is about three times cheaper as gas in my country. 

Edited by T_Driver
Forgot to put P.S.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I wonder why they even bother - Someone posted a picture showing LPG is over £1 per unit now so does it even save money any more?!

And it's just asking for engine problems down the line... :unsure:

I do wonder what sort of mpg the hybrids can get out of the lower energy density of LPG...

It's roughly 30% cheaper for us (at the moment) and tends to yield about 20% less mileage on most cars ( I mean that as efficiency rather than debating about longevity of the engine). The saving is there, you just need to drive lots of miles to recoup the conversion cost. I assume they're getting it done quite cheaply, maybe a fleet done with a discount?

• Like 2

I do 35-50k miles a year and never considered an lpg conversion.
I had a car with lpg before and never liked it . I know newer cars are way different  when converted and does not cause as much problems but still I like stock everything. On my Auris I put myself around 245000 miles to date, perhaps would have had some cash leftover from lpg.
And would be Quattro hybrid- petrol-electric-oil -gas  😅👌

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I do 35-50k miles a year and never considered an lpg conversion.
I had a car with lpg before and never liked it . I know newer cars are way different  when converted and does not cause as much problems but still I like stock everything. On my Auris I put myself around 245000 miles to date, perhaps would have had some cash leftover from lpg.
And would be Quattro hybrid- petrol-electric-oil -gas  😅👌

As I recall, LPG did become quite popular here maybe 20-25 years ago when it was incentivised and there really were substantial savings to be made. Lots of vehicles that were both roomy in the boot and thirsty such as range rovers started to sprout a second filler cap and I think Vauxhall even built some cars with the conversion already done at the factory. Our government always pulls the rug eventually, so it will be interesting to see what happens this time with the subsidies on EV purchases and home charging electricity sold at cost - I don't imagine those benefits will remain forever. The exemption from the tax premium on new, expensive cars that most EVs benefitted from is already set to be axed, for example.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

It's roughly 30% cheaper for us (at the moment) and tends to yield about 20% less mileage on most cars ( I mean that as efficiency rather than debating about longevity of the engine). The saving is there, you just need to drive lots of miles to recoup the conversion cost. I assume they're getting it done quite cheaply, maybe a fleet done with a discount?

how can you end up with 30% difference when it is 2-3x cheaper to begin with. do they tax LPG like 3x more than petrol ?

We used to have lots of LPG pumps at local petrol stations but they’ve been removed. 

sadly, we also had a local hydrogen pump but that has gone now too. 

there were several people with range rovers that had LPG, as it gave them equivalent of nearly double the mpg when looking at fuel costs. 

• Like 2

I have a Xantia V6 that averages about 22mpg, I know of one that was converted to LPG in about 2002 and was much cheaper to run. The tank was across the boot behind the seats so reduced the boot size and when the seats were dropped it was in the way. 
The car drove exactly the same as on petrol, same performance but the loss of boot space spoiled the car.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, miks said:

how can you end up with 30% difference when it is 2-3x cheaper to begin with. do they tax LPG like 3x more than petrol ?

No, the tax on LPG in the UK is actually quite a lot lower, unless I'm missing something:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fuel-duty-extending-the-temporary-cut-in-rates-to-march-2025/extension-to-the-cut-in-fuel-duty-rates-to-march-2025

The average 'pump' prices at the moment (depending on your source) are £0.96/L for LPG,  £1.39/L for petrol. Like I said, roughly 30% less for LPG.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

No, the tax on LPG in the UK is actually quite a lot lower, unless I'm missing something:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fuel-duty-extending-the-temporary-cut-in-rates-to-march-2025/extension-to-the-cut-in-fuel-duty-rates-to-march-2025

The average 'pump' prices at the moment (depending on your source) are £0.96/L for LPG,  £1.39/L for petrol. Like I said, roughly 30% less for LPG.

At these prices in uk there is no point of lpg at all. 
When I had an lpg converted car many years ago in another country it was purely because of the price difference, it was something like £1.5 for litre of petrol against 0.55-0.75 for a litre of gas. 50% and more off the price of petrol. 

• Like 4

When you take into consideration the cost of fitting the lpg system, you need to cover a lot of miles over a long time to just break even!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links