Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Fog lights

Qasim

Having driven in the kind of fog where they ARE useful I'd not support that motion!!!

Just because something doesn't get used often doesn't mean it should just be removed...

Frankly I'd rather they put saner limits on headlights and lighting in general - Everything's just too damned bright now and it makes night driving in urban environments really fatiguing on the eyes!

Actually fog lights are serving very important purpose when visibility is poor and particularly at night. They make a huge difference between with fogs on or off.
I drive only at night and when there is thick fog and visibility is reduced these are so important, even new modern led are not as bright as fog lights. 
The front ones are also good for country lanes pothole finders during rainy nights 👌

• Like 3

Followed one this morning it’s dark and it’s raining so bang the rear fog light on. Blinding everyone following. 

2 hours ago, Ralph H said:

Blinding everyone

I find this notion of being “blinded” by rear fogs or brake lights laughable !   They’re meant to be more visible !
Never been “blinded” by either.

25 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

I find this notion of being “blinded” by rear fogs or brake lights laughable !   They’re meant to be more visible !
Never been “blinded” by either.

Ok then I’ll rephrase it, dazzled to such an extent that it is very easy to miss a right hand indicator in the same light cluster when they pull across in front of you approaching a roundabout 🙄

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Is that because its a jap import - Didn't they have supplementary fogs in the bumper. The usual UK spec Yaris Mk1 only had one fog and one reverse. There was no room in the light cluster to include 2 fog lights one on each side.

No not a JDM import, registered in the UK from new.

Standard on the Tsport, but the fogs are not in the cluster, lower down either side of the number plate, and a fairly large lens.

Will pop a pic on for you later if I can figure out how to obscure the reg number(I have to be careful as I am in the witless protection program)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the Highway Code

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced ( to less than 100yds ) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

It's annoying being behind someone who puts their fog lights on as soon as it starts raining.

I don't think I've ever used the front fog lights on any car I've owned, and have rarely used the rear ones.

• Like 3

Perhaps fog lights should cancel at 50mph because you should not be driving at that speed with the visibility that restricted.

47 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights.

I only use these on the rare occasions I'm driving in very poor visibility AND there is noone behind me. If a car does appear from the gloom behind then once I'm sure he can see me (ie. he's keeping station behind) I'll turn them off, since at that point it's more important they register my brake lights promptly. 

If they drop out of sight again then I'll turn the fog light on again. 

That all obviously requires me to be concentrating and aware of what's going on around me, but AIUI that's pretty much what the law requires anyway.

6 hours ago, MikeSh said:

I only use these on the rare occasions I'm driving in very poor visibility AND there is noone behind me. If a car does appear from the gloom behind then once I'm sure he can see me (ie. he's keeping station behind) I'll turn them off, since at that point it's more important they register my brake lights promptly. 

If they drop out of sight again then I'll turn the fog light on again. 

That all obviously requires me to be concentrating and aware of what's going on around me, but AIUI that's pretty much what the law requires anyway.

That's basically what I do, turn the rear fogs off as soon as someone comes up behind me. 

The funny thing about you all complaining about foglights being a nuisance is DRLs are at the roughly the same brightness levels as foglights but I think I'm the only person who complains about them!

This time of the day at this time of year is a real PITA for me as everyone drives with their DRLs on, as it's not quite dark enough for autolight to switch to dipped beams, but it's dim enough that I'm just being dazzled by everyone on the opposite carriageway. It makes it much more dangerous as they mask pedestrians and cyclists, which are hidden by the gloom.

TBH with current behaviour of everyone waiting in traffic with their brake lights on, the foglights barely make any difference...

• Like 1

More people wait in traffic with their brake lights on as more cars than ever are now auto transmission, and if they are anything like the ones I have had in the past, unless you sit with your brakes on when waiting at traffic lights or in a queue with the transmission in "D" the car creeps forwards on its own. 

Some SUV's are terrible when they come towards me at night on a country lane, the LED headlights are way too bright and often look more like they are driving round with the main beams on. 

• Like 1

In common with a lot of oldie drivers I talk to, I tend not to go out in the dark, unless I have to, due to the glare of bright lighting on other cars.

My eyes are ok , and I do ensure that my multi coloured underbody LEDs are less bright than my headlights, out of consideration for other drivers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Stevie J said:

More people wait in traffic with their brake lights on as more cars than ever are now auto transmission, and if they are anything like the ones I have had in the past, unless you sit with your brakes on when waiting at traffic lights or in a queue with the transmission in "D" the car creeps forwards on its own. 

Some SUV's are terrible when they come towards me at night on a country lane, the LED headlights are way too bright and often look more like they are driving round with the main beams on. 

I always wondered why people were sitting with their foot on the brake when stopped, but now I know that the auto brake hold feature keeps the brake lights on

Brake lights while waiting are absolutely fine if you just been stopped or it’s a short wait at traffic lights. Even the Highway Code needs adjustment. Always keep your foot on the brake and make sure brake lights are ON to show others you are stationary. 
The problem with fog lights like anything else it’s not the fog lights themselves, their brightness or anything but the drivers error. The reason is many people who drive cars does not use common sense or never learned enough how vehicles operate, how car lights and all other systems works. They also pay not enough attention to what is going on around.  They drive their cars and talk on the phones thinking about something else and these are as dangerous as any other things that can take drivers attention away from the road. 

Now regarding emergencies brake lights that we had discussed in other post on Corolla 23 they exist and work as three flashes of the red brake lights when you brake hard. Had a chance to see that in person , usually Corolla drivers are relaxed but that one was in a hurry and he nearly hit the cars on the front in the right lane on the motorway, heavy foot but short sighted. 

Just adding my two cents to the OP.
My 2023 YC JDM import has one reverse light on the passenger side and nothing on the driver side - empty space. I thought that the bulb blew out in such a short time after purchase but when I opened it up to see the type of bulb needed - nothing! No socket like on the passenger side. Looking at it closely from the outside I realised there isnt even a place for the light to shine thru. Fog lights are illegal in my country so I'm ok. But its interesting to see that a version is made without fogs and still one reverse light.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JRancho said:

Just adding my two cents to the OP.
My 2023 YC JDM import has one reverse light on the passenger side and nothing on the driver side - empty space. I thought that the bulb blew out in such a short time after purchase but when I opened it up to see the type of bulb needed - nothing! No socket like on the passenger side. Looking at it closely from the outside I realised there isnt even a place for the light to shine thru. Fog lights are illegal in my country so I'm ok. But its interesting to see that a version is made without fogs and still one reverse light.

In uk all jdm imports has additional fog light on the rear bumper mounted and only then can get uk plates. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links