Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brand new Corolla TS 2.0 aesthetic issues

s_corolla

Hi all,

I purchased the car 2 days ago so I'm within my right to return it (I assume) but wanted to check what others think of issues I am experiencing.

I noticed the issues at the dealer lot but I guess from all the excitement I thought it's fine until I cooled down and realised it not fine.

If you look at the pictures, the bonnet is misaligned, oone side has a gap of 2.8mm while the other one has 5.3mm. The dealer says that is within spec (based on pictures). Moreover, the front part where the fenders meets the door is also sticking out slightly. There is a major scratch on the fan panel. And to top it all off, all doors have different gaps up to 1mm difference.

I am thinking is it actually worth keeping the car. I had a brand new Hyundai Tucson 2 years ago where misalignment was even worse hence I switched to Toyota this time and I ended up with the same problem. Is it drunks building this cars or there is just a poor QA.

What is the experience others are having with their Corollas from Derbyshire?

IMG_20240909_073104-min.jpg

IMG_20240909_073115-min.jpg

IMG_20240909_075942-min.jpg

IMG_20240909_080004-min.jpg

IMG_20240909_080337-min.jpg

IMG_20240909_080411-min.jpg

IMG_20240909_080535-min.jpg

• Sad 5

Not checked my gaps (I will try to resist) but my paintwork is poor, particularly the 'dribbling' down the sides of the bonnet and thin paint to the point of being see-through on the inside of the doors! Made in Great Britain - may as well have been British Leyland🤣

• Like 3

Mine had a rear door slightly misaligned (jutting out) and the rear window trim rubbers were not fully seated into the corners. Panel gaps were OK apart from the tailgate, where they were (and still are) excessively large IMO, but it's even all the way around so doesn't look too bad.

Your issues don't look too difficult for a dealer bodyshop to resolve, but I wouldn't accept the interior scratch, assuming it is indeed a scratch to the plastic and not a protective film that hasn't been peeled off yet. I would assume it can be replaced without too much difficulty.

• Like 1

I am sorry but whatever the dealer says that is really shoddy workmanship.

In this day and age of building cars that is not acceptable.

Now you are aware of the panel gaps you will notice them more and more.

I would inform the dealer they have one chance to rectify the issue or reject the car as is your right.

• Like 5

Not all Corolla are like that. Some may have misalignment issues on the panels but when most panels are well off it can mean not just panhel gaps but much more. No wonder these cars sounds like has rear door or window left open, it might be the vase by poorly fitted panels and gaps that let air in.

If me I will return the car for refund. 
Buy another one. 

The worst thing to happen to a brand new car is to get into dealer garage for manufacturers defects to be rectified. After that 99% it will come with more problems. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Not all Corolla are like that. Some may have misalignment issues on the panels but when most panels are well off it can mean not just panhel gaps but much more. No wonder these cars sounds like has rear door or window left open, it might be the vase by poorly fitted panels and gaps that let air in. 

Actually, when I was driving I had some strange rattle which eventually went away.  I can also feel a slight vibration on my horn button but not sure if it has anything to do with the panels.

That sort of gap and scratched on the panel is not acceptable on a new car. As said above, get the dealer to rectify them. They were brushing you off with excuses, which isn't acceptable. 

• Like 1

I took more photos with gaps measured by varnier calliper. I have requested to reject the car without giving them the chance to rectify the problem as this seems the whole car needs to be re-adjusted. Please someone correct me if I am being unreasonable here - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11YRE3sg4RwmpI4bEdKEy5KH-tKp-O1SD

• Like 4

Sorry that you have these issues with your new car. I wouldn't be happy with that fan panel scratch or the variation in panel gap alignment. I'm quite surprised to see this but would like to think that poor QC rarely occurs at the Burnaston plant. I'm happy with the build quality of mine - panel gaps are fine and the paintwork looks uniform. The only issue with mine is that the nearside rear light cover squeaks a bit when you put light pressure on it (e.g. while washing it) but there's only a slight movement and it still feels securely fixed.

I hope you take it back to the dealer and get a satisfactory outcome. Nice colour by the way - I like the Juniper Blue (mine is Scarlet Flare, which is very nice but I reckon I'd have been equally happy had I chosen JB).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TrackLink said:

Sorry that you have these issues with your new car. I wouldn't be happy with that fan panel scratch or the variation in panel gap alignment. I'm quite surprised to see this but would like to think that poor QC rarely occurs at the Burnaston plant. I'm happy with the build quality of mine - panel gaps are fine and the paintwork looks uniform. The only issue with mine is that the nearside rear light cover squeaks a bit when you put light pressure on it (e.g. while washing it) but there's only a slight movement and it still feels securely fixed.

I hope you take it back to the dealer and get a satisfactory outcome. Nice colour by the way - I like the Juniper Blue (mine is Scarlet Flare, which is very nice but I reckon I'd have been equally happy had I chosen JB).

Thank you, I decided on colour based on YT videos as I didn't see it in person before but really liked it. Hopefully the return will all end without too much hassle.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, s_corolla said:

Please someone correct me if I am being unreasonable here

I think you've done the right thing to reject it. This should not have passed final quality checks. As Tony mentioned, getting the dealer to try to rectify this would just add new problems. You rejecting this, should also send a clear message to Toyota about their production quality. They do take it very seriously.

• Like 5

I believe you have to give them one opportunity to put it right. Never great as if they let it through PDI you can't help but wonder how the repair goes.

Been done to death previously but many cars turn up at the dealer less than perfect, with all manufacturers, but any defects should be identified and corrected during PDI before delivery.

• Like 2

They called me back. They will speak with the factory if those misalignments are within tolerations. No need to give them a chance in the first 14 days. They would have to take the car apart to fix all defects.

• Like 3

Well done. 👍

Second chance was already given to the dealer and whoever is in charge to prepare the car for delivery, collection. 
Once you send it back please share the reg number so we all know and not someone’s from here goes and buy the blue lemon. 
Toyota should take it back and make it learners car or pass onto rental company. 

• Like 4

Good result.  But sad that this car left ther factory and that it passed PDi.

My 2022 TS has decent panel gaps.  However alignment of both bumpers are a bit uneven.  And I was told by one person that the wing edges, ie under bonnet - are soft edged (a technique used at edge of a panel being repainted).  I doubt the latter as all the paint matches well for colour and texture etc, so I suspect just like the paint under bonnet and on boot floor etc (eg not buffed?).  I ahve resisted asking dealer to realign bumpers as I fear further attrition.  Still a great car, and noone else notices these things.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Talking Houbik said:

Good result.  But sad that this car left ther factory and that it passed PDi.

My 2022 TS has decent panel gaps.  However alignment of both bumpers are a bit uneven.  And I was told by one person that the wing edges, ie under bonnet - are soft edged (a technique used at edge of a panel being repainted).  I doubt the latter as all the paint matches well for colour and texture etc, so I suspect just like the paint under bonnet and on boot floor etc (eg not buffed?).  I ahve resisted asking dealer to realign bumpers as I fear further attrition.  Still a great car, and noone else notices these things.

It's not a good result yet :-). I am waiting to see if they will accept the rejection.

Ours has some uneven gaps on the bonnet like yours. Confess I haven't ever checked elsewhere. I only noticed because we had to get the bonnet resprayed due to some flying debris.

The reality is that if you go looking for problems like this you will probably find them. The vast majority of the buying public would almost certainly never notice what you've spotted in the lifetime of their car ownership.

I don't personally think you've been given a representative sample of responses in the posts above. Most people couldn't care less. What you've spotted is hugely unlikely to be hiding a more significant underlying problem. You may be able to reject but given this is the second new car you have been dissatisfied with where are you planning to find the perfect new car?

The scratch on the interior panel would annoy "most people" though and should be sorted on a brand new car IMO.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, davejones22 said:

Ours has some uneven gaps on the bonnet like yours. Confess I haven't ever checked elsewhere. I only noticed because we had to get the bonnet resprayed due to some flying debris.

The reality is that if you go looking for problems like this you will probably find them. The vast majority of the buying public would almost certainly never notice what you've spotted in the lifetime of their car ownership.

I don't personally think you've been given a representative sample of responses in the posts above. Most people couldn't care less. What you've spotted is hugely unlikely to be hiding a more significant underlying problem. You may be able to reject but given this is the second new car you have been dissatisfied with where are you planning to find the perfect new car?

The scratch on the interior panel would annoy "most people" though and should be sorted on a brand new car IMO.

Thanks for clarifying. My father has a Fiesta that is better built in terms of panel gaps but I agree that majority of people dont care because they intend to replace the car after their PCP runs out. I am planning to keep it until the wheels fall off. On the note of Tucson, I didn't get rid of it because of panel gaps only, the power window motor broke down within a month and I went away on holiday for 5 weeks and there was a paddle of water in the car when I came back which also killed the bluetooth system so the car was pretty much a disaster :-).

• Sad 3

I started reading a bit more into car rejection and it appears that the dealership can decide to ignore my request.

I paid £100 reservation deposit in May 2024.

When the car arrived in September I transfered 3.5k two days before collection.

However, the same document I signed via text message I have signed at the dealership again, which might withdraw me from the distance selling regulation.

To add to that, the dealership has all this fancy unravelling of the car where it is covered and they get you to uncover it once all docs are signed. Essentially I haven't seen the car before I signed the papers.

Anyone has more experience with the legal side of this?

On 9/10/2024 at 9:13 AM, s_corolla said:

It's not a good result yet :-). I am waiting to see if they will accept the rejection.

Don’t give them a chance to say no. 
You are not asking if can return the car , you are returning it for refund. 
When I did similar thing I was 50 miles from the dealer on the day of collection and the car turned to be a disaster. I made a u turn, drove back to the dealer , parked at the same place and brought the keys and paper work to the manager. I told them they they can use this car if they want but I can not. I walked away. 4 weeks later they gave me all the money back minus £500 , there was no consumer law in place to protect me. 
I have lost £500 but I got rid of a lemon and learned my lesson. No matter what car you buy or where you are buying from, run your usual checks and do not place deposit or go ahead and buy it if you are not 100% sure everything it’s ok. The smallest issue you see, just walk away. 

• Like 1

The general manager told me that the issue has been raised with Toyota and their Master technican in store. Awaiting response. You are right, I should have rejected it on the spot. My problem is that I dont have a car and really need it :-).

@TonyHSD what is your opinion on paartial refund, i.e. asking for 2k in case rejection becomes too complicated and they treat it as cosmetic issue under which return is not accepted. Not sure if poor appearance could mean the car is a complete crap?

2 minutes ago, s_corolla said:

The general manager told me that the issue has been raised with Toyota and their Master technican in store. Awaiting response. You are right, I should have rejected it on the spot. My problem is that I dont have a car and really need it :-).

I was in the very similar situation. I needed a car for my new job that requires a lots of driving and at the time I was renting cars, so my own car was must have to save from rent per month and eventually have something after been paid off, however I had a real problem with the car I collected and I had returned the very same day after only traveled 50 miles on the motorway, actually the worst ever car I had been. The dealer had try everything to rectify the problem, even promising that Toyota will not leave me alone as the car was under warranty. I refuse to take it and I told them - I am buying a car to drive everyday a lot. I am not buying a car to go garages to rectify problems. If I want that I will buy bmw or Audi, Mercedes’. 
Tell the dealer that you aren’t happy with the car in general, you have rights to return for refund as the car is not of satisfactory condition and you are looking to return it and not to rectify problems with Toyota. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, s_corolla said:

@TonyHSD what is your opinion on paartial refund, i.e. asking for 2k in case rejection becomes too complicated and they treat it as cosmetic issue under which return is not accepted. Not sure if poor appearance could mean the car is a complete crap?

This is also an option if you like the car and want to keep it. 
As others said many owners will not notice these gaps, will not care about them and in most cases these will not cause any further issues.
However if they don’t want to pay some money back to reimburse you for the inconvenience, and you decide to keep the car every time you look at it you will get upset and this will kill all the pleasure of owning a brand new car , and a Corolla hybrid, which I call the best in class. 
It’s up to you. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links