Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Main beam drivers side

Alexander Gavin

Hi, the main beam and dipped driver side won’t come on. Is there an easy fix like a loose connection? I have a 2018 Auris hybrid.

Hi 

you need to find the reason first and then the fix. If led light you may need a whole new unit replacement. Might be the wires , fuse , wire harness etc 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alexander Gavin said:

Hi, the main beam and dipped driver side won’t come on. Is there an easy fix like a loose connection? I have a 2018 Auris hybrid.

As Tony says, your car may have LED lights from the factory (depends on trim level). But, much more likely it has halogen lights with an HIR2 bulb, which is not especially common.

Although this is counter-intuitive, the one HIR2 bulb is the light source for both high and low beams. Strange but true. It crops the light with a guillotine arrangement for low beam, which can be heard clunking with the bonnet raised when toggling between the beams.

So this is almost certainly a single bulb failure!

But, the bulbs often fail in pairs. one soon after another. If the other one goes you will have no headlamps - I have actually had this happen. I would recommend getting a pair of bulbs for that reason.

The current price for a single bulb from Toyota is £47.47 inc. Other shops can supply of course. Toyota dealers will sometimes fit for free (ask first!), but it's not difficult. and is described in the owner's manual. Touching the glass on the new bulb is a no-no, which can reduce the bulbs life span. Remove finger touches with isopropanol alcohol or vodka.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi all thanks for responding.I nipped into a local garage and after a quick look, between jobs, he managed to take out the bulb and a new one will arrive tomorrow and if come in after 09:30 he’ll fit it. Nearest dealership is an hours drive and on the phone the guy was saying over £100 depending! 
Thanks again folks

• Like 1

I was on holiday in the outer hebrides when mine went.  Try getting a relatively rare/niche replacement bulb up there in a hurry!  The garage was great though and helped get us one before we moved on to the next island- Amazon wouldn't guarantee delivery in time. Probably not great quality but £15 and worked!!!

To check it was the bulb rather than wiring I took the still working bulb out and tested it in the side which was faulty. It was the bulb.

Literally a 2 minute job to remove and replace the bulb - just a bit of finger bending!  

My advice after a previous issue up on the islands is to carry a spare set of front wipers. Mine randomly split whilst up there at only 18 months old.  The 2015 onwards avensis wipers allegedly only fit that car - the fitting is subtly different to every thing else and therefore are like hen's teeth.

• Like 1

Auris blades are standard fit (on mine at least) so ignore last reference to wipers unless you also have an avensis!

1 hour ago, Willss said:

My advice after a previous issue up on the islands is to carry a spare set of front wipers. Mine randomly split whilst up there at only 18 months old.  The 2015 onwards avensis wipers allegedly only fit that car - the fitting is subtly different to every thing else and therefore are like hen's teeth.

I have a 2015+ Avensis, never had any issues getting Wiper Blades (although I do always carry spare Wiper Blades & bulbs anyway). Possibly the fact that one of the fronts is 650mm might limit availability in your average petrol station shop? Afaik the actual fitment is standard so in extremis you should be able to get away temporarily with a smaller size.

The Corolla is going to be interesting at 700mm for the driver's side ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

I have a 2015+ Avensis, never had any issues getting wiper blades (although I do always carry spare wiper blades & bulbs anyway). Possibly the fact that one of the fronts is 650mm might limit availability in your average petrol station shop? Afaik the actual fitment is standard so in extremis you should be able to get away temporarily with a smaller size.

The Corolla is going to be interesting at 700mm for the driver's side ...

When I got back home and ordered the wipers I understood why neither of the shops on the islands stocked them - the box (Bosch) confirmed that they only fitted the avensis (just checked and actually 2008-2018 so more than I said above).

None of the universal types would fit as the push button fitting (size/spacing) is unique to the avensis. Always got them online or from main dealer before so had never looked in a shop to realise how niche they are!  

Corolla ones sound fun as well then! In the end I've decided to stick with my avensis and auris a bit longer. Like the size and comfort of avensis and has 3yrs more warranty. Auris is worth next to nothing and is only used as runabout on rough rural roads and seems indestructible - seems a shame to waste a new car on that!  Will go for a Corolla before the avensis reaches 10yrs old though as drove really nicely on test drives and a better long term ownership proposition than the Swace IMO.

Enjoy your Corolla when it arrives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willss said:

I've decided to stick with my avensis and auris a bit longer. Like the size and comfort of avensis and has 3yrs more warranty. Auris is worth next to nothing and is only used as runabout on rough rural roads and seems indestructible - seems a shame to waste a new car on that!  Will go for a Corolla before the avensis reaches 10yrs old though as drove really nicely on test drives and a better long term ownership proposition than the Swace IMO.

I am still very much on the fence about changing my car, it's not a distress purchase & the current still has 2 1/2 years of warranty & is in good nick as I am doing few miles these days.  It was only the extremely good PCP deal that got me interested plus the fact that the next service is a major, it will probably need 4 new TPM valves soon as the batteries fail - apparently not replaceable in the older TPM valves - & possibly a new 12V Battery in the not too distant future. I just put 4 new tyres on it in the Spring. 😞

Currently they are telling me it's a February 2025 delivery which is interesting as the Toyota Finance deal specifies registered by 11th December ... I still might cancel.

The Corolla TS is slightly smaller than the Avensis which imo is a negative but there are not too many other "affordable" (i.e. under 40k "luxury" VED limit) & reasonably large estates with proper flat load spaces & similar performance & economy - by the time that you start optioning up e.g. a Skoda Octavia to similar levels it's at least the same price, possibly not as reliable & with no potential 10 year warranty . The Swace is interesting because I absolutely can see how it can be a better buy for some people depending upon what they value most & certainly since the 5th gen hybrid system upgrade knocked almost 2 seconds off the 0-60 time, now giving it acceptable performance imo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

I am still very much on the fence about changing my car, it's not a distress purchase & the current still has 2 1/2 years of warranty & is in good nick as I am doing few miles these days.  It was only the extremely good PCP deal that got me interested plus the fact that the next service is a major, it will probably need 4 new TPM valves soon as the batteries fail - apparently not replaceable in the older TPM valves - & possibly a new 12V battery in the not too distant future. I just put 4 new tyres on it in the Spring. 😞

Currently they are telling me it's a February 2025 delivery which is interesting as the Toyota Finance deal specifies registered by 11th December ... I still might cancel.

The Corolla TS is slightly smaller than the Avensis which imo is a negative but there are not too many other "affordable" (i.e. under 40k "luxury" VED limit) & reasonably large estates with proper flat load spaces & similar performance & economy - by the time that you start optioning up e.g. a Skoda Octavia to similar levels it's at least the same price, possibly not as reliable & with no potential 10 year warranty . The Swace is interesting because I absolutely can see how it can be a better buy for some people depending upon what they value most & certainly since the 5th gen hybrid system upgrade knocked almost 2 seconds off the 0-60 time, now giving it acceptable performance imo.

I've been comparing Icon with Motion as I'm not a fan of too much technology/gadgetry and would like 16" wheels!  I've been looking at pre reg or ex demo type age to take a lot of the new price hit and also I don't want 24 spec' due to beeping from speed limit assist and more time required to turn off (I use the limiter on basis of actual speed rather than speedo speed).

Corolla Icon works out at about £23.5-24.5k for essentially new whereas Swace is £21-23k for new/essentially new. I'd prefer built in satnav and front parking sensors would be nice -swace motion has neither. Corolla warranty up to just under 11yrs whereas swace is 7yrs to the day. If I was going to get to 100k miles before 7yrs I'd get swace but as I'll probably reach warranty mileage limit at 10-11yrs and it has sensors, satnav and 15yr Battery warranty the Toyota makes more sense for me. 

My main issue with swapping auris for either was that I've owned the 1.6 manual auris from new and it's been flawless. Recent new tyres, new brakes, manual handbrake and virtually no driver assist/technology to go wrong and only 72k on the clock. The Corolla would be a nicer/smoother drive and more economical but unnecessary for my commute plus nearly £20k to swap and more technology to go wrong longer term!

Then considered swapping our avensis. But fundamentally (for our use) the avensis is the better car. Seats are more comfortable (deeper so more leg support and better headrest), leg and head room in front and rear is better (unless I have Corolla seat low keep bumping head on frame above driver's window). Boot floor space better in avensis even if volume isn't. Less technology and beeping at me and hugely quieter drive, particularly on poor road surfaces (drove icon then excel and being intolerant of background noise didn't like noise level in either).  Corolla is undoubtedly a better equipped, more efficient car but not as good IMO. 

I'd be changing because I want a change rather than there being a need or benefit. Even allowing for better economy and spreading the cost of the Corolla over 10yrs my avensis or auris would need £1500-2000 of repair bills every year for the annual running/depreciation costs to be about the same. Plus I'd be earning interest on the money I hadn't spent on the car (about £750/yr)

Essentially I fancy a change but have decided against as I may spend a lot of money on a car that doesn't offer us anything extra (that our family needs) and which isn't as comfortable, quiet or spacious and with more gadgetry which may go wrong. 

very similar thinking to me albeit I was looking at the Ultra trim for Swace & Design or Excel for Corolla (& really what swung it was the 2.0l option in the Toyota but not the Swace plus the HUD & JBL swung it to Excel rather than Design.). Not a fan of the 18" wheels but it seems that it's a compromise that I have to make to get what I do want. The Swace not having built in satnav could actually be an advantage depending upon long term support & cost for Toyota SmartConnect subscription. 

Interestingly, all my fuel savings are going to be eaten by increased insurance costs (I guess that it's all the electronics)!

8 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

very similar thinking to me albeit I was looking at the Ultra trim for Swace & Design or Excel for Corolla (& really what swung it was the 2.0l option in the Toyota but not the Swace plus the HUD & JBL swung it to Excel rather than Design.). Not a fan of the 18" wheels but it seems that it's a compromise that I have to make to get what I do want. The Swace not having built in satnav could actually be an advantage depending upon long term support & cost for Toyota SmartConnect subscription. 

Interestingly, all my fuel savings are going to be eaten by increased insurance costs (I guess that it's all the electronics)!

Interesting regarding insurance. Corolla was only £24 for the year more (fully comprehensive) than the avensis for me. Either side of £350.

17 minutes ago, Willss said:

Interesting regarding insurance. Corolla was only £24 for the year more (fully comprehensive) than the avensis for me. Either side of £350.

Mind if I ask who you are with?

My current insurer, esure a) customer service has gone downhill b)has dearer renewal quote this year & c) appears to be one of those insurers that won't quote for Corolla hybrids.

Avensis should be ~£350 for me too, Corolla quotes from those who will are £600+

• Like 1

Aww that's a shame, I was with eSure for ages and they were decent. I do know they have an aversion to anything they consider high risk, as they wouldn't insure my colleague's Audi :laugh: 

They have also offshored the call centre from Glasgow to South Africa which was an interesting experience - quite rude really.

So, who are you with now? 

Iirc my Avensis is group 13 & the new car will be 21.

• Like 1

I'm with Admiral.

Just run a quick requote on a well known comparison site and they came out near the top again at £348 for fully comprehensive with protected no claims - for a 73 plate Icon tourer (albeit with a 1.8 engine like I'd opt for myself).

Others were a bit cheaper but I prefer using a company I've heard of and have had no bad experiences with (yet)!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

They have also offshored the call centre from Glasgow to South Africa which was an interesting experience - quite rude really.

So, who are you with now? 

Iirc my Avensis is group 13 & the new car will be 21.

Ack that sucks, quick way to kill a business is to use garbage call centres...

Don't worry about the insurance groups; In my experience they are practically meaningless in terms of how they affect insurance.

My last two insurers were Churchill, who I was quite happy with and even helped me sort out my windscreen well after I'd stopped being a customer with them (The case had started while I was a customer, but because auto glass were taking the proverbial it dragged on so long I'd changed insurers!) but when the FCA introduced that "no discounts for new customers" rule (THANKS FCA :mad2:) the renewal went from 400-500 to 700-800 so parted ways. Am currently with Adrian Flux (brokered for Marker Study who, despite not having great reviews, have so far been pretty good and handled my Mk4's rear-ending really well, assigning the repair to a local independent who had a good rep rather than some big repair chain who don't care.), and they've been okay so far, although I find it funny as usually the people I know who use AF have heavily modified cars, whereas my mods were a change from 17" alloys to 15" steels, which is the opposite of what most AF customers do :laugh: .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links