Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Faint squeaking from brakes

IS200 Collector

Good day,

I am trying hard to figure out why this weird sound is coming from my brakes. I have changed the rotors and brake pads but it has not gone away. It sounds like a faint squeaking, it's mostly noticable at low speeds, when letting go of the brake there is a squeak too, however when parked with the engine off, pumping the brake makes no sound.

I have added an mp3 file of the sound. It might be quite noisy but the sound is quite faint. There is also a sound at the end that sounds like a paint can, because it is.

I hope someone has had this issue before because I cannot find anything online that sounds the same!

Rusty discs?

Alex

2 hours ago, donkeychomp said:

Rusty discs?

Alex

I believe that's another word for rotors? If so then they have already been replaced. However, I do have an update. I think it's the rear brakes. I drove the car in a parking lot and when the sound would come on I would pull the hand brake enough to get it to brake without locking up. The squeaking matched in timing but got louder. So I am confident it's the rear brakes. However, that really surprises me because I SWEAR it sounds like it's from the front. Maybe it's the shape of the car that messes with the acoustics, idk. So now I'm going to check that and I'll post an update later.

If you don't use the car for a few days a light film of rust will appear on the discs. Not sure what you mean by rotor! That will cause squeaking but not for long. If your car is a 2000 model it'll have drums on the back. Check the shoes and that they still self-adjust. Might also be worn or warped drums.

Alex

Yeah Brake Rotors is USAian for Brake Discs :laugh: 

My bet is it's the front brakedisc heatshields - A lot of Toyotas have these thin metal plates that sit between the brake disc/rotor and the shock absorber, and I think they're meant to be heat shields, but on the Mk1 Yaris especially they rust like smeg and turn into bendy metal doilies and just looking at them too hard seems to bend them in such a way they rub on the brake discs and make horrible shrieking sounds! :eek: :laugh: 

If it gets worse at certain steering angles I'm doubly sure that's the source of the problem.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links