Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting automatic mirror folding module - Gen 4 RAV

Busterwebb

Hi, I’m looking for some help with my 2018 RAV4.

I’ve bought a module which will fold the door mirrors when the car is locked on the remote key. It connects to the back of the mirror control switch. It requires 3 connections - one to +12V, one which is a pulse input on key unlock and one pulse input on key lock. Apparently, the connections are somewhere in the mass of connectors and wires behind the driver’s side kick panel. But before I try testing each one in turn, has anybody done this already and can give me some clues?

I can’t use direct connections to the door locking unit as the mirrors would then fold then the car locks itself when moving.

Thanks in advance.

I am also interest in an answer to this as I miss this function which I had on my Land Rover Freelander

it should have 2 lives, 12v Battery and 12v ignition

once the module detects the 12v ignition it disables the module from working

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

it should have 2 lives, 12v battery and 12v ignition

once the module detects the 12v ignition it disables the module from working

Thanks flash22 - there’s a connector that fits between the module and the mirror control switch. I hope this works out the logic to disable lock/unlock folding if the ignition is on. Good point.

Nearest clue I’ve found is a 2015 connector diagram which says there’s an 18 way connector behind the driver side kick plate containing the power lock and power unlock signals on pins 14 and 16. When it stops raining I’ll test to see if these are what I’m looking for. Just hoping they didn’t change this wiring between 2015 and 2018.

This has been discussed before on this forum, try to find the topic. There was pictures and description of wires attached there. 

I fit this module to my ex mk3, and it took me about an hour all in. Found the wires needed at the connector at drivers side at the bottom near the sill. Found which wire is which with a multimeter. 

10 hours ago, Kos_ta said:

This has been discussed before on this forum, try to find the topic. There was pictures and description of wires attached there. 

I fit this module to my ex mk3, and it took me about an hour all in. Found the wires needed at the connector at drivers side at the bottom near the sill. Found which wire is which with a multimeter. 

Many thanks Kosta. I took a look at your previous posting and pictures. My 2018 mk4 model seems to have a different connector arrangement. But I think i found the signals. I’ll post when I’ve fitted the module and got it working.

Ok I’ve solved it for the Gen 4 cars.

This is to fit the LY-LEAMORE auto mirror folding module for 2014-2018 RAV4s available from AliExpress for around £15.

The module comes with connectors to fit between to door mirror switch/mirror adjustment module, which are obvious. You then have to supply +12V permanent, door unlock pulse and door lock pulse on red, grey and green wires respectively.

The signals are found on the 12 way white connector on the top left of the drivers side kickplate:

IMG_7673.thumb.jpeg.4cf0e71f532c0d65f3e755c8d276c133.jpeg

The relevant connections are the black, black and grey wires on the bottom right of the connector counting up in the 2nd, 3rd and 3th positions

IMG_7676.thumb.jpeg.0e9848ec79d39b528ffee6a48219d454.jpeg

Just use the supplied snaplock connectors to tap into these wires, after stripping back the black tape around the wiring loom

IMG_7675.thumb.jpeg.4d830034a0e9a8981932f9ac7e8330fe.jpeg

Stick the control module with the supplied double sided tape on the metal bulkhead to the right of the mirror control switch.

All worked fine. Like Kosta, took about an hour. Mirrors now close when doors lock. Not only helps check you’ve locked the car but also flags up when you’ve got out the car and you’ve forgotten to stop the hybrid system. 

Hope this helps others.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links