Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

DRL's in P mode

badlywornroy

Seems counter intuitive that when  leaving the car in P mode to charge the 12v  battery the driving running lights cannot be switched off ? 

If you start the car and leave in P the DRLs should stay off until you engage reverse or drive...at least they used to do that. If you're switching from auto to sidelights then that would activate them I think. But yes not fully logical no longer having an off position. Probably some legislation or standard applied across production.

But they are led so probably minimal power drawn.

• Like 2

Just checked, mine are off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fred88 said:

Just checked, mine are off.

Ok, mine are certainly on, so what am I missing ?

Is it in a garage/shaded area or are you switching to sidelights from auto?

Switch to auto, turn off and lock the car, unlock and put into ready mode and touch nothing. Check and see if the headlights come on - if they do it's probably dark enough to activate them and pretty sure that will turn on DRLs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

Is it in a garage/shaded area or are you switching to sidelights from auto?

Switch to auto, turn off and lock the car, unlock and put into ready mode and touch nothing. Check and see if the headlights come on - if they do it's probably dark enough to activate them and pretty sure that will turn on DRLs.

Ok, the car is on my drive, it was in sun shine and  the DRL's were on while the car was in P mode, unlocked. on the net I found this . . . 

" On a 2020 Toyota Corolla  ( I am assuming the 2022 Corolla is the same)

If your vehicle is equipped with a "DRL OFF" setting, they can be turned off by twisting the headlight control knob to "DRL OFF." For vehicles listed below equipped with DRL, the system can be disabled by your local Toyota dealership." 

That's a 'cracker' if it  has a DRL OFF setting it can be turned off 🥴 As yet I have not found an answer in the Totoya User Guide ( nothing new there then) 🤪 No ! I do not  have  a ' DRL OFF ' setting.

As said above, if just started engine and have not taken out of P in daylight then DLR will be off. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

As said above, if just started engine and have not taken out of P in daylight then DLR will be off. 

Thanks Mojo, just checked and that is correct. Previously I had returned home and just left the car in  'P' mode and the DRL remained on, Doh ! 40 mins later they were still on. I still find it strange that there is not a ' off ' option or an automatic ' off ' timer when  in' P ' but I accept this now as the  status quo.😝

These drl options might be adjustable with phone app and obd adapter.

Usually on most cars by default as soon as you start the car the drl,comes on no matter if in park, d or r. 

• Like 1

The DRLs will NOT turn off once they are on.

The first time you take the car out of P, they will turn on.

The only way for the DRLs to stay off is if the car is started into Ready mode from fully off, there's enough daylight, and the mode selector is not touched and left in P.

This definitely applies to the Mk4 Yaris, but I'm not 100% sure about the Corolla...

When I'm waiting in a service station, I'll turn the car off and back on again to keep the DRLs off :laugh: 

• Like 2

Pretty sure that's how it's working on mine.

• Like 1

I guess removing the OFF position was a safety-conscious decision, but it would be nice to have it, especially now that the nights are drawing in and making it impossible to have the car started without the lights, or certain daylight situations like slow moving traffic where they start to flick on every time we pass underneath a bridge.

Motorcycles all went that way many years ago, i.e. there is no headlight switch any more, just a high/low beam selector and a cut-out relay to prevent it from sapping the available power while the starter motor is engaged. Common-sense move, in that application.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links